Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 625 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: HARRISBURG ~ SEPTEMBER 2010, PART 2
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:28 am 

Didn't see anybody else, nobody on the stick, and the next time it switched to the box, he was gone too. I have the cam up and open even when I'm watching something else. Not so sure it changes every two minutes, but when I think it should be 2 minutes, I hit the refresh. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:28 am 
Global Moderator

WELL, I FOUND OUT SHE WAS UP THERE TOO, JUST CAN'T SEE HER ON THE CAM. MAYBE WE NEED THE CAM WIDENED NOW? ALSO, LIL DAD IS ON THE STEEPLE RIGHT NOW, HE WAS ON THE SIDE WINDOWSILL BEFORE THAT.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:35 am 

Yeah, I love seing them up close but maybe it's time to change the cam view back so that we can see the whole ledge again and the stick and the scrape in the same shot.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:41 am 

Well, I've got some housework to do. I miss the days when you could leave the cam up and do chores at the same time because you could hear any action and come running to see. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:50 am 

I haven't been back to the message board for a few days, so it took a while to catch up. Jane, what a moving report of your visit downtown. It sounds like NG and Lil Dad are both firming up that bond. I can't imagine NG saying "no thanks" to a piece of prime real estate like the Carson building, so I'm hoping real hard that she falls big time for Lil Dad as well. I enjoyed reading the article about the peregrine in Florida, and what a beautiful picture of Mom they used for illustration purposes. And George, you pics are just lovely. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:12 pm 

I asked a friend at DEP for some clarification on last week's Tweet update and I heard back from her today. She said it was okay if I shared this information with the message board. The Amtrak worker who reported seeing the falcon gave a very accurate physical description of a peregrine falcon and reported that the bird he saw was wearing 2 silver leg bands. The accuracy of his description, and especially of the leg bands, does not leave much room for doubt that the bird was Mom.

It is possible that Mom may have been suffering from West Nile virus; her appearance in that last video is consistent with West Nile infection, but without a body, there is no way to confirm it. If Mom was ill, she wouldn't have had much chance against a strong and healthy female challenger, and her weakened state would have been an invitation to any female on the lookout for a good nest site to mount a challenge. My friend also told me that a Harrisburg University staffer had reported hearing a battle lasting about 2 hours. Other people had reported hearing alarm calls at the nest ledge, but it seems that nobody actually saw the battle. Even with only "earwitness" reports, the outcome pretty much confirms the event. I can't imagine why Amtrak didn't immediately report a downed falcon to DEP or the Game Commission, but it's too late to go back and change now, so we can only go forward instead. I just hope it is a long time before the train station figures in our falcon history again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:35 pm 
Global Moderator

MET JANE DOWNTOWN FOR LUNCH. TURNS OUT, SHE WAS PRETTY SURE NG WAS ON DAD'S CAM PERCH AND LOW AND BEHOLD, SHE IS! SHE IS THERE NOW AND LIL DAD IS ON THE WINDOWSILL ON ABERDEEN SIDE. I'D SAY SHE IS FEELING WELL AT HOME NOW BEING ON LIL DAD'S CAM! I REMEMBER SEEING MOM UP THERE DURING FALCON WATCH THIS YEAR AND COULDN'T BELIEVE SHE COULD FIT, BUT THIS GIRL FITS TOO! I TOOK A PICTURE OF HER UP THERE FROM OVER BY THE BUS STATION, I'LL POST LATER TONITE.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:53 pm 
Global Moderator

LIL DAD CALLED OUT AND TOOK OFF FROM THE WINDOWSILL AROUND 1:40PM, SHORTLY AFTER, NEW GIRL TOOK OFF FROM THE CAM AND FLEW OVER JANE AND MY HEAD AND OVER THE TRAIN STATION. SHE LOOKED LIKE SHE WAS ON A MISSION :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:53 pm 
Global Moderator

WWC, thanks for sharing the information you received. I have a lot of mixed feelings about it, particularly the finality of Mom's demise, but also about the worker (or whoever) who chose not to be sure to retrieve the remains of the downed falcon. Just let it lie there. :cryinggirl:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:55 pm 
Global Moderator

WESTWINDSCHILD, SO GLAD YOU WERE ABLE TO SHARE THIS INFO WITH EVERYONE. MAYBE THIS WILL HELP WITH CLOSURE........

:thanku

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:12 pm 

Thanks, Westwindschild!

I think we all know that Mom most likely is taking care of Blue Boy & last year's White Boy, but I am hoping that the Game Commission will report finding her bands. She is not the only falcon with silver bands, & what happened to her body? Was the falcon that the Amtrak employee saw actually only injured, but recovered & flew away?

I agree SusanE, that the employee's story is questionable since he just left her lying there!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:27 pm 

Well, i am not sure what the coverage out there is regarding West Nile Virus but in the philly area there were public service announcements in past years that told folks to report any dead crows who are the primary cariers i think for WNV. But they also said not to handle the bird. IF there was any coverage of the risk of WNV perhaps the person just didnt understand or want to risk infection to themself??

I understand WNV is not a pleasant malady to contract so fear may be justified by many of us

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:34 pm 

Thanks WWC for your report. It is hard but we must have closure. I too can't imagine finding a falcon and not reporting. BTW, thanks to Nancy and ljames along with Reenie & George for the pictures from day to day now and previous. Our NG is a beauty and Dad knows one when he sees it. LOL. He was with a beauty before. I'm glad she is different, so we can't compare her to Mom. As if we ever would. Nice that you and Jane could have lunch Reenie, and get a falcon fix too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:47 pm 

edit to add picture.

I think she's on the inside, right?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:58 pm 

I'm pretty sure it was West Nile Virus that killed all those birds in Atlanta that time, but did Mom have 2 silver bands?

Thanks westwindschild for the report.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:04 pm 

I'm still reading back, glad Jane and Reenie had lunch today, and saw the falcons. Pretty funny NG trying out the cam perch.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:06 pm 

edit to add picture.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:18 pm 

Had to take my car in for service today, and since they will drop you off and also pick you up, Reenie and I made plans to meet for lunch. I was dropped off at the Amtrak Station. Saw a falcon on the sitting on the cam, but then another one on the steeple, and that one was Little Dad, so it had to be NG up on the cam. Went over to the 5th Street Garage for a better look. Had I not seen it, wouldn't have believed it. When Reenie and I returned from lunch, she was still there, and Little Dad right around the corner on a small ledge above Aberdeen.

When I was downtown on September 11, I was chatting with two Amtrak officers, who wanted to know if I was watching the falcons, and told them yes. Also told them a new female was in the area and that Mom hadn't been seen for a while. The one officer told be about a worker finding a dead falcon a week or so ago from the 11th. He was unsure what was done with it. I nearly fainted upon hearing this information, and of course was very distressed. I reported this information to the proper places, people were questioned, and a serach was done. All evidence points to the bird in question being our beloved Mom, but nothing concrete was found. How absolutely horrible that whoever found this bird didn't retrieve it, but unfortunately that cannot be undone. I have been carrying this information mostly untold for over a week, and did not wish to put this on here without DEP's approval. After reading the report from Westwindschild, I wanted to share this, and although it doesn't change anything, it takes a load off my shoulders.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:24 pm 

Well I don't know if Mom died of a disease or as the result of battle, but I have accepted the fact that she is gone.

All I know to do now is pull for NG, hope that she stays safe, and makes Little Dad happy.
Oh, and that she can reproduce. :-)

Jane, I just read your report. Thanks for letting us know what you found out. What a heavy load to carry. It makes me a little sick that nobody retrieved her body, or at least, if they did, nobody is saying.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:31 pm 

I hope that she didn't suffer for a long time. :cry: Ok, I'm going now.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 625 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 32  Next