Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: USA MIGRATION 2009 ~ 2010
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:56 am 

Rob has updated maps and tagging details :smilesun:

"I've updated all the maps except for the Nantucket boys. Want to know what they're doing, just look at the last map I posted for them on their last update.

Other birds are more interesting. Penelope is still the star of the show this summer, but the 2 young we tagged (DE and MVY) are beginning to move around a bit. Penelope may be heading south soon. Normally, adult females go down in mid-August, but we really don't know what 2 yr olds do.

The story on the Long Island adult (North Fork Bob) is quite complicated.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to show the youngsters one way to get to Brazil, although I don't suspect they'll follow me though Dallas. I'm going to the International Ornithological Congress near Sao Paulo, with a 2-day junket up to my old research station in the middle of the .. Amazon.

Links to maps as usual:

http://www.bioweb.uncc.edu/Bierregaard/migration10.htm

Enjoy"

JAZZEL :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:08 pm 

Rob has updated migration maps, very, very interesting... :hmmmm I'm behind on posts :buzzybee: so they're from 9/1 and 9/6 :oops:

9/1/10

Greetings,

Penelope's latest maps are very cool. No one else is doing much, but new maps are up for Belle. Will get to the others soon.
It will be very interesting to see how Earl stirs things up as the storm is heading right for our birds. It should get some of them moving, as the winds in front of the storm will be for the northeast, and hence be just what the birds want to get going.
In the past, most of our juveniles have left in the first 2 weeks of September. Males leave then as well, so the rest of this month should be busy here in Map Central.
I redesigned the Migration page a bit so links to all the maps are a bit easier.

9/6/10

2 birds are heading south, one is going north:

6 are on the runway waiting to take off.

None was impressed by Hurricane Earl.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:16 pm 

This is such wonderful news that Earl didn't effect anything, the younguns
don't need anything messing with them right now thats for sure
Thanks for the updates Jazzel
:dancing3:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:06 am 

Rob updated his maps last week :smile:

"The Cape Henlopen Hawk Watch has had a couple of days with counts over 100, so the young and males are now moving south. Most of the females have probably already made it through to S. A.

Three of our birds are moving. Actually 4 if we include Buck, our South Carolina young from '09, who surprised us by moving his bivouac down in Venezuela.

Sr. Bones from Nantucket is our first adult to head south. Thatch (DE) is the first young to take the plunge. Belle's move north early in the month was a false alarm.

On the Migration page I've indicated for each bird when the latest updates were posted for their maps. Especially interesting this time around are Penelope (always doing something exciting) and Thatch.

Enjoy"

--
Rob Bierregaard"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:29 pm 

Rob just updated the migration maps :thud

Greetings,
This big weather system has pretty much all our birds hunkered down. Belle and Sanford are still up in Massachusetts and I don't expect them to move until this storm moves offshore. They're the only ones left at home. On the main migration page, scroll down to see what the weather looked like this morning--in a word--ugly.
Penelope left her D.R. hangout after 2 weeks and headed south towards S.A. but aborted the trip, probably after running into this storm. She bailed out and landed on a boat and traveled 150 miles northeast between the D.R. and Puerto Rico. She was still on the boat at 6AM on the 28th. We now have to wait 3 days to see if she survived the trip.
Neale (RI) is in Savannah GA or thereabouts, Thatch (DE) and Gunny (MA) are in Florida. North Fork Bob (Long Island) and Mr. Hannah and Sr. Bones (both Nantucket) are all in Cuba.

Link to all the maps, as always:

JAZZEL

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:35 am 

Rob's update yesterday on Penelope.

"Really bad news--Penelope survived her boat ride, went through P.R.
and the Virgin Islands, crossed the Caribbean, but seems to have been
lost at sea only 15 miles from land--after resting for a couple of
days on some islands just north of Venezuela. We're getting signals
from her out over the water for 3 days. It's hard to figure out, but I
can't come up with any scenario other than her body is floating around
out there. Major bummer. Maybe she'll surprise me in another 3 days,
but I doubt it.
Everyone else is safe. Sr. Bones is in Venezuela, Mr. Hannah's resting
up in Curacao (he hopped on a boat in the Caribbean, too--seems to be
the year for this), Gunny's in Haiti, Neale's in Cuba, Thatch has
definitely settled down in West Palm Beach (3rd DE Osprey to do a
short-stop migration), Buck has settled down again after a surprising
junket around Lake Maracaibo and then another out west of his HQ,
Sanford just made it to Cuba, and Bob was on the shore of the D.R. on
the 5th, so he's probably out over the Caribbean now. There's some
nasty weather east of Puerto Rico now, but he should have missed that.
Belle is the winner of the "last one out turn out the lights" award,
although Dick Jennings reports there are some others around, and the
Cape Henlopen hawk watch (down in DE where we tagged Thatch) counted
288 Ospreys yesterday, so there are still birds coming down the coast."

JAZZEL

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:44 am 
Global Moderator

Thanks for the updates -good and not so good- Jazzel ...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:09 pm 

All the sad news is starting again for the osprey I just read Robs updates
on Penelope,Gunny, and Mr Hannah :cry:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:33 pm 

kittenface wrote:
All the sad news is starting again for the osprey I just read Robs updates
on Penelope,Gunny, and Mr Hannah :cry:

Kitten....I know, but Mother Nature is a comforting answer...

JAZZEL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:44 pm 

Rob has new maps and updates posted today...very interesting!!!

"Well, after a dismal week when we lost 3 birds (Gunny, Mr. Hannah (probably), and, worst of all--Penelope), this past week has provided some exciting movement. After a 3-day marathon mapping session, I've caught up with all the maps for the birds that are moving.

Belle, our Vineyard juvenile finally left the Island (hope she turned out the lights) and took a rather exciting path to points south. Westport River Sanford threw a curveball at us with a surprising move, and Rhode Island's Neale continues to dither about whether he wants to stay in the D.R. (not our vote), or head on to South America.

It looks like North Fork Bob from Long Island may have found his wintering grounds."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:38 am 

Rob has updated migration maps, plus some interesting news :cool:

As I expected, we lost Neale over the Caribbean. This was a particularly brutal season and gave us a real feel for the risks of migration to South America in hurricane season.

I've updated the Migration 10 page as well as maps for the two birds that are moving now--North Fork Bob and, despite my sage predictions that he was done with migration, our DE youngster Thatch is in Cuba now--aiming straight for what may be Hurricane Tomas!

Our other survivors have settled down, at least for the time being. Sanford in the Bahamas, Sr. Bones in the mountains of Colombia, Belle on the shores of Lake Maracaibo only a few miles north of our youngster from last year, Buck. Buck is on the countdown for his first trip north sometime next winter.

Thanks to some nice coverage of our work in Cornell's BirdScope, we've added a lot of new folks to the Osprey-map-ophile email list.

From Cornell Lab eNews:
An Osprey's Flight

Penelope, a 3 month-old Osprey, flew 2,700 miles from Massachusetts to French Guiana in 13 days. Lightweight transmitters are revealing where Ospreys go-and the hazards they face along the way.
<

We have launched our environmental education program in the Dominican Republic. Here are some pictures of a raptor festival organized by my colleague Jorge Brocca, President of the Hispaniola Ornithological Society:

As usual, the maps:

JAZZEL

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:02 am 

Jazzel I'm getting confused is Penelope ok or not I reas abot her being lost then about her migration route pleaase help me understand when you get a chance.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:48 am 

Kitten, Penelope's last signal was received on 10/03/10. She was lost at sea in a storm :sosad On her second migration south. Lost in the Caribbean, just 25 miles from Venezuela. You can see her Fall 2010 maps at this link.

The article Allen Poole wrote was in Cornell's BirdScope, Summer 2010, long before she started her migration.

This link will show you the outcome of all the birds Rob tagged this season. Scroll down the page.

Rob sent an email with good news about Thatch, the fledgling tagged on Cape Henlopen, DE cam nest. Scroll down the linked page and click on Thatches map.

See Thatch's maps. I can't take too many more trips like this one!
North Fork Bob continues south.

Rob Bierregaard

JAZZEL

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:38 am 

Thanks Jazzel I appreciate it your the best for all your information
you get us
:leaves:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:57 am 

Rob has updated BELLE'S map, also other interesting links :smile:

Belle is the only bird on the move right now. She's taking us on a tour of some interesting geography as she heads south towards Amazonia. Thatch seems to be doing fine after his wild ride across the Caribbean, still hunkered down on the shore of the Gulf of Venezuela. I do suspect that he will move again. All the adults seems to be settled down. They'll be heading north in 3-4 months.

As always, maps at:

While all our birds are south of Florida, there are still some birds lingering around the southeast and mid-Atlantic region as a few emails and the following web-posted pictures attest. Note that both birds photographed are juveniles. I suspect most of the birds we see in fall and winter are youngsters.

Great shots of a juvenile lingering in Chesapeake Bay in mid-November.

I recently read a fascinating book about menhaden, which the author argues is The Most Important Fish in the Sea. It certainly is as far as Ospreys are concerned. Here are links to a couple of reviews. Until we as a species applied all our technology and all our amazing lack of understanding about the finite nature of nature itself, schools of menhaden 10 miles across and 20 miles long moved up and down the east coast. Menhaden are the perfect fish for nesting Ospreys, and this phenomenal density really answers the question I often hear, "If Ospreys migrate all the way to South America and find plenty of fish there, why don't they breed down there?" The answer to that question, I believe, is that to do so would be to pass up a virtually limitless supply of food available exactly when Ospreys are breeding. The same holds true for the warblers and tanagers and other "Neotropical migrants" which spend their winters in Central and South America and then return to our neck of the woods to breed, only instead of infinite numbers of fish, these small insectivorous birds are returning to turn gazillions of caterpillars, all munching on newly emerging leaves, into baby birds.

Reviews of The Most Important Fish in the Sea

<

Enjoy,
Rob Bierregaard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:17 am 

Thatch, tagged on the Cape Henlopen, DE Cam nest, has an updated map...all good :smile: Rob's update.

Everyone but our Delaware Osprey, Thatch, seems to have settled down for the duration. Thatch, on the other hand, is still keeping me at work making maps. He left home 86 days ago and as of the 28th he was still migrating, now south of the equator and the Amazon River, and even a bit south of Belle, who seems to have found a spot to her liking about 10 days before Thatch arrived in the neighborhood. Like Belle, he flew by some really interesting geographical features, which I've highlighted in his new maps.

This is not the latest we've had a youngster migrating. Homer crossed the Caribbean during the Thanksgiving weekend a few years back. He didn't settle down until New Years!

Rob Bierregaard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:28 pm 

Thanks jazzel I was wondering about all of them :sfwave:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:23 pm 

Well, before we close 2010...posting Rob's migration updates. I can't believe I didn't post the 12/16 update :oops: :oops: I often get very involved with the maps, my only excuse :flirty:

12/16/10
Belle and Thatch both continue to move. Belle is now farther south than any bird we have followed. She has flown more than 4,000 miles from home! New maps are posted for both. Everyone else is fine and hunkered down for the duration.

http://www.bioweb.uncc.edu/Bierregaard/migration10.htm

12/29/10
Well, we seem to have all 6 of our survivors tucked in for the winter. The adults (Sanford, Sr. Bones, and North Fork Bob) are all sitting very tight. Buck, due to come home to South Carolina for the first time sometime in the spring, is also sitting tight. Our two youngsters may wander a bit more, but they both seem to have found lakes that are providing plenty of fish.
It was a really rough fall--a reminder that it is not easy being an Osprey and that random events play an important role out there in the natural world. Despite the losses, we have as many birds (maybe more) as we've ever had over wintering down south.
We'll keep our fingers crossed that they all successfully dodge fish farms on their way north.
Map updates will be sporadic as the winter progresses until the adult males head north sometime in February or March.

'Til then, Happy New Years to all!

Rob Bierregaard

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4