Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: UK MIGRATION 2010 - 2011
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:40 pm 

Kitten :superstar: :bughug:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:07 pm 

Every time I look I get so tickled to see tha Rothes is doing so well I almost quit watching when the others didn't make it & the transmitter was going haywire I want so badly to see her again or at least know that she is back in her area

Loch Garten osprey diary
All Quiet on the West African Front

Julie Quirie
15 Nov 2011 11:12 AM

Very little to report this week - we have had a bit more data from Rothes, she is still on the island of Ilha de Unhocomozinho. Her transmitter seems to work in fits and starts, lets hope it keeps working for at least another six months so that we can follow her return migration next spring.

Tore and Bynack haven't moved much at all. Bynack is still north-west of the Oiseaux de Djoudj National Park. His data shows him returning to the same area each evening, it looks like he's found a favourite roosting spot. Tore, as ever, seems content on the Casamance River in Senegal. My youngest daughter is off to the Cape Verde Islands later this week, I've told her to keep an eye out for any ospreys that might have strayed too far west!

We have had some beautiful weather here over the past week. Warm sunny days, but cold at night - it was warmer last Thursday than on the 21st June this year. There still doesn't seem to be many migrants around although I did catch sight of about 20 or so Fieldfares in a field by the River Spey a few days ago. Normally at this time of year they are coming over in their thousands - I don't know if you have noticed in your areas, but there are very few berries on the trees here, in particular the Rowans which are are great food source for migrating thrushes. Maybe the wild, wet weather we had in May made life difficult for the bees and had an effect on the pollination of the blossom.

Don't forget to tune in to Autumnwatch on Friday, Roy Dennis will be reporting from West Africa. It will be good to see a first-hand account of the areas Rothes, Tore and Bynack have settled in - maybe we will catch a glimpse of one of our ospreys. Wouldn't that be brilliant!

Have a good week.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:52 am 

Sorry I have gotten behind here some how
Loch Garten osprey diary
Bynack's Wee Trip.......
Nov. 30th 2011
There isn't much to report this week again, Tore is still languishing on the Casamance River in Senegal. There were only two points of data for Rothes, which show her still in her favourite spot, the island of Ilha de Unhocomozinho and Bynack took a wee trip north, stayed a night and then returned yesterday, back to north-west of the Oiseaux de Djoudj National Park.

I only managed to catch Roy Dennis's osprey report on Autumnwatch a couple of days ago, it was wonderful to see the habitats that Tore, Bynack and Rothes are residing in, and the osprey with that enormous fish so reminded me of EJ!
=================================================================================

Loch Garten osprey diary
You'll Never Guess.......
Dec.6th 2011
Great news that our three intrepid ospreys are still in their favourite haunts although yet again we only have two points of data for Rothes,she is still on the Ilha de Unhocomozinho. Tore seems content on the Casamance River in Senegal and Bynack north-west of Oiseaux de Djoudj National Park n Mauritania

Tore, Bynack and Rothes are languishing in tropical sun, whilst we shiver in the cold and snow. As you have probably seen on the news programmes, winter has arrived in Scotland with plenty of snow and cold winds. The forest and the surrounding hills look beautiful, but life is difficult for wildlife at this time of year. I have had an influx of blackbirds and starlings in my garden over the past few days and they are eating me out of my supply of birdfood, will have to make a note to order more in if this weather is to continue. Walking my dog this morning in the woods a short distance from home, I recognised a bird call familar with Loch Garten but not often heard close to a small town and I was lucky enough to catch a glimpse of a pair of crested tits feeding amongst the silver birch trees and there was no-one around to share my excitement! As usual, I didn't have my camera. I really am going to have to make sure I have it with me every time I go out!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:59 pm 

Loch Garten osprey diary
Stormy Weather
Dec 12th 2011
Julie Quirie
What a week of weather we've had here, from hurricane force winds and blizzards to cold calm days. Richard has been out to check the osprey nest and it has survived the ravages of the last storm, but I see from the weather forecast that we have more strong winds coming over the next few days - a case of batten down the hatches!

Richard is back with us and feeling the cold after his visit to warmer climes - he will be writing a blog on his exploits once he has caught up with everything and recovered from his travels.

Rothes and Tore are very much in the same areas, but Bynack has been making little detours again, travelling both north and south of his usual haunt. His last position yesterday morning put him south of St Louis, its going to be interesting to see if he returns to Djoudj National Park or decides to travel further south.

I hope you all have a good week!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:14 pm 

Loch Garten osprey diary
A Merry Christmas to all our readers

December 20th 2011

A quick update on our three osprey. Tore and Rothes are, as usual, content in their respective haunts, but Bynack has been on a sleepover again – this time he’s been visiting an area to the east of Dakar, Mbourou and returned the following day to Djoudi National Park. He certainly seems to like his trips away!

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for keeping me company these last few months and look forward to what adventures lie ahead in 2012.

A very Happy Christmas!

Julie Q

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2