Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: RICHMOND, 2022
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:49 pm 
Site Admin

WOW...just getting home and have finished reading the update...thanks for your observations, swinwk...I am impressed that the watchers caught as much as they did when you have 4 going in all different directions at different times. Thankfully they were able to rescue the ones that they did.

Hopefully they will have eyes on all 4 throughout the day.

I'll see if there are any decent pics in the archives...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:59 pm 

:eggthumb: Watched a falcon eating on top of the W. It left, but I didn't get to see it fly. I even wondered if it was an adult, but couldn't tell. Something is showing above the highlight of the K, but hasn't moved so don't know if a bird or just a marking of some kind. It looks as if it's rained. Saw a bird glide up from the left and past the roofline out of sight. Will check back later. Thanks, sky. Just seeing your post as I am posting.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:52 pm 

:15heartbeat: They just did a look about of roofscapes and no falcons seen. OMG, all those buildings of varying heights with nooks and crannies, how do they ever keep up with it from the ground...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:48 pm 

:15heartbeat: They are doing a close up of that possible bird versus mark I saw earlier that wasn't moving on top of the white highlight of the K and as this is the same spot, it turns out it is a juvie falcon still not moving!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:05 pm 

I went down for an hour tonight. It was raining all day, so I'm sure there wasn't a lot of activity earlier. When I arrived one of the fledges landed on the Truist building sign. I walked over to the park, and the biologist said three have been flying today, yellow fledged late evening after everyone left and wasn't seen today. I was able to see the Truist fledge and another fledge nearby on the Bank of America building, so I posted there. That B of A fledge looks huge, and flapped a lot but I don't know. The other fledge left his perch after 45 mins and flew for 15m, soaring through the sky in circles above me. Fledges that can fly that well on day 2 always scare me, but it look fabulous and kept going higher and bigger circles. No flapping there. So we will see what tomorrow brings, its going to be hot all week!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:05 am 

Thanks, Barb! Update from VDWR:

FledgeWatch Day Two: Three of Four Fledglings Located JUNE 14TH, 2022

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:55 am 

So I guess they were all boys. I watched white fly and Blue sitting fat and pretty with his prey. No wonder he never left :) Pretty nice that the adults are delivering to each one. That is impressive. Thant Dominion building is crazy. I thought for sure it would cause the first accident. But the biologist said it had turned out to be a good perch spot because of the beam behind. The white male was already perching on letters, which is a pretty advanced skill.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:14 pm 

:dancegirl: Thanks, Barb! And thanks for helping them out! I noticed yesterday that of the 3 found all were delivered prey by a parent. There was even a cache near one that can be seen in one of the photos. I wondered if that was a normal cache area as I thought it would be more hidden than that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:30 pm 

:7val: Yellow Found!! :7val:

:5val: :5val:

:dancegirl: Thanks, VDWR!! :dancegirl:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:57 am 
Site Admin

Barb...thanks so much for going down to help keep tabs on the kids!! Although its probably a lot of hurry up and wait, its probably just glorious getting to watch them fly!! They seem to be doing so well....so, I will keep my fingers crossed that they also remain careful...

I sure wish I lived closer...I bet the next phase...mid air prey transfer and talon tag... will be spectacular to watch!!!

swinwk..thanks for keeping tabs on the cam..and posting the link to updates.

(if you need a new project, Genesee, Canada has a first time mom with 4 newly hatched chicks...she's learning...but, oh boy)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:40 am 

:eggthumb: I think ljames has that covered. The bears at Brooks Falls are next up for me (as the osprey are off to a slow or some no start this season), although I have never really posted on them here. Saw some birds at the Truist today, but have no idea who is who. Saw 1 fly up and land on the icon just below a juvie who was there and thought it may be a parent, but could have been another juvie who is flying and landing really well. No food delivery or interaction, they just seemed to look at each other for a very long time. So long, I finally left without catching the fly off.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:26 pm 

Well, some of you on facebook know that I got one of my precious kestrel fledges in rehab a few weeks ago, from a fine dining restaurant, they have an atrium in the middle. I released him back to his parents.

Today I got a call from the outside dining restaurant, El Barco, right next to the Riverfront towers. Of course I knew it was one of the babies, yellow actually. She spent her first night next store at the apartments. So Sergio went and got her, hopefully she is OK. She looks perky in photos.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:42 pm 

:eggthumb: Thanks, Barb! I hope she is okay. I was afraid she just wasn't quite ready or she may have had some injury even if only soft tissue after 2 slip offs from the nest area that day. She certainly was lower than any of her siblings when she was found the 1st time. Hoping he will post a report on her later today. Again thanks for letting us know and for all you and they do for this falcon family...Yellow is my Boo! :5val:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:01 pm 

:15heartbeat: Gosh, I checked the Wildlife Center of Virginia site 1-2 times daily since this happened and never saw anything about her. Her behavior is very puzzling. I really hope she does well!! Check here a couple times daily too and occasionally have seen a juvie on the Truist sign. Good luck to all of them! Very thankful for this update as I was afraid they were going to turn off the cam tomorrow without letting us know. Update from VDWR:

I really hope you make it, Boo!! :5val:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:14 pm 

This is just the best place for yellow. She can gain confidence without worrying about buildings and cars. She will be fed while she learns to hunt. And she will learn from other young falcons. Peter and I watched this at our hack site, so many times. To see them in this setting, is just so awesome. And if she has , even a bit of muscle injury, she will learn the ways of the falcons , while healing.

And , they can start with insects and move up to small birds.
I am just so thrilled with this decision.

Soar sweet thing. Soar with the rest

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:54 pm 

The Virginia DWR Falcon Cam is offline for the season. We appreciate your interest and hope you visit this site in March 2023!

:dancegirl:

:5val: Good Luck Falcons! :5val:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:43 pm 
Global Moderator

:eggthumb: Thanks again to everyone for the great coverage for Richmond 2022!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:52 pm 

:10sum: Update from VDWR on Yellow with photos:

Post-hacking Update on Yellow JULY 1ST, 2022 :5val:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:59 pm 

she will do so well there. look at the beauty around her. no traffic , no buildings, and someone to feed her, while she learns

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:08 am 
Site Admin

thanks for the link!! I'm happy she has friends to learn with.

Years ago, there used to be a cam at this hack site (I think this was the one...) I also think this was the one they would take JRB to. Disclosure: I could be wrong on 1 or both accounts.. :girlcrazy:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next