Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 325 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: SAN FRANCISCO ~ 2020-2023
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:20 am 

News

Val and canyon can expect a hatch around April 2. This comes from Denise , a volunteer.
Unfortunately there will no cam this year as new building owners do not seem to want this, but Zeka is keeping tabs . Hopefully they will change their minds. However, this nest site will remain a safe nesting place for our falcons there , as long as the public makes sure they respect the policies of building

Will bring over exact email I received when I get to computer

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:32 pm 

Thanks, Bev! I really miss this cam. :sham5:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:01 pm 

Denise posted that Val and Canyon have 4 healthy chicks. Adults and chicks doing well. :hatchegg: :hatchegg: :hatchegg: :hatchegg:
I am so glad that they are watching over them :CLAPS: :CLAPS:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:10 pm 

bev. wrote:
Denise posted that Val and Canyon have 4 healthy chicks. Adults and chicks doing well. :hatchegg: :hatchegg: :hatchegg: :hatchegg:
I am so glad that they are watching over them :CLAPS: :CLAPS:

:CLAPS:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 9:24 am 

Val and Cany, 2023 Update
I am posting this here as I know one of nests has chicks dying. this is probably why. It is a shame that rescues are not done( this is my comment . BEV)

from BARb
I realize it has been a long time since the last update about Val and Cany so with fledge on the horizon (possibly next week), I thought it was time. This is not a forum about San Francisco and I am not soliciting comments about San Francisco, but our falcons are a part of the San Francisco landscape.

e

Val and Cany hatched 4 young falcons, who were banded on April 26, 2023. There were 3 females and one male. The band numbers are females: 05/BC, 10/BC, 11/BC, and the male: 42/BA. Unfortunately, the male died post banding probably due to an infection and his inability to eat. No necropsy was performed so we cannot be absolutely sure. We are hoping that none of the females are infected, but time will tell.

Monday is the earliest fledge time but with larger females (as everyone knows by now), fledge will be later, so we are looking at later in the week.

I will try my best to attend fledgewatch and provide updates on the young falcons.( due to safety for her to be around the area. )

Barbara

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 11:13 am 

I received the email and I just came here to post it. It truly is a labor of love that Barbara and the other fledge watchers can go through the obstacles that San Francisco has to offer. :girlsad3:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 8:25 am 

from Denise

Female "Blue" became the first SF juvenile to fledge today, taking that first giant step around 5:30 in the afternoon. She flew like a pro from the start however, gliding off the ledge and then flapping strong and (somewhat) gracefully like an adult rather than the usual juvenile frantic flap.

The good news: she stayed fairly high, appears to be a pretty strong flier and ended up on top of a building across from the nest. She did get herself into a bit of a sticky situation very soon after she fledged though, when she found herself clinging to the side of a tall brick building, somewhat like a moth on a wall. Thankfully, Canyon and Val flew swiftly around her coaxing her off the wall so that she mustered enough courage to fly to a nearby rooftop to rest.

Later, around 7:30, she ventured back out again gaining altitude, but soon got herself into a bit of trouble and took several passes flying very close to the Four Seasons building until Canyon again flew up to and around her, coaxing her away from the dangerous situation and over to safer rooftops.

The other two juvenile females, "Purple" and "Yellow," have not fledged, but by the way that they were exercising their wings and running around, we have a feeling that they will by tomorrow. Stay tuned for more news as it happens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 12:44 pm 

Bev, what is the tiercel's name, Cany or Canyon? I've heard it both ways.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 11:47 pm 

hi s name is Canyon , Nancy
another report from Denise

Yellow and Purple have not fledged yet. We believe Blue is on a rooftop where Val checks in and flies above. Neither Vam ir Canyon appear worried. At this stage we continue to sweep the ground and check alleys just in case. In the first day or two of fledging, often the fledgling will not perch on a visible ledge on a building but rather will be hidden on a rooftop.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 11:25 am 

report from BARb
Well - here we go. First I was not able to get to San Francisco until 2:30pm this afternoon. When I arrived Yellow and Purple were still on the nest ledge and Blue had made her way to the roof of a six story building on the corner of California and Front. Since I wasn't there, I don't have all the details of her morning flight but evidently she hit a window and landed on a window ledge. The concerned occupant of the office recognized a potentially injured raptor and managed to Google for "raptor rescue" and found Craig of Bay Area Raptor Rescue, who came to assess the bird. Unfortunately as he was looking at her through the window, she decided to fly. After much searching Denise found her on some electronic/dish equipment on the Halleck Alley side of the building at California and Front Sts. By now there were 5 of us watching, split up around the area. Blue moved around quite a bit, pancaked for a bit, preened a bit, but mostly stayed standing on the edge. It was much later, probably around 5:30pm when she decided to fly. She just opened her wings and took off over some low buildings toward Embarcadero 1, a very tall building. I did not see her gain any height so she had to make a right or left turn as she neared the building. We lost sight of her so the hunt was on. Stef and I went around the block and started to double back and I decided to check Halleck Alley more carefully. As we were crossing Halleck Alley at Battery. I was looking down the alley but fortunately Stef was looking down at the street and unfortunately there was Blue, sitting on the ground. I think I scared her and she flew level almost the entire length of the alley again landing on the ground. By then we had a towel, and a box arrived with Dan and Denise. I got the towel over her, and got her into the box. She is off to the raptor vet to get a checkup. Let's hope it is nothing serious. We will know more later tomorrow. Yellow and Purple hadn't done much all day except move from one end of the ledge to the other when we left around 7pm.

Barbara

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 12:45 pm 

Thanks Bev, for the update! Glad they were able to get her into a box and to a vet just in case. :CLAPS:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 8:02 am 

from barb may17
Today was both uneventful and unexpectedly eventful. I arrived around 11:00 and was told that all had been quiet and that both Yellow and Purple were on the nest ledge, I believe having been fed. They were up and down on the nest ledge, preening, flexing their wings and just chilling out, pancake style. Then around 1:40pm things changed. While two of us were watching from the 6th floor roof terrace of 150 California St (150), Val started flying and cacking and diving at something on the roof of the nest building 350 California (350). She was making a huge ruckus indicative of someone on the roof. We assumed it was workers as all of the buildings have equipment on their roofs that has to be maintained and hoped it would be brief. A few minutes after the commotion a juvenile appeared on the roof ledge. The characteristic white tail tips glinted in the sunlight and the hopping around and dropped wings made certain that it was a juvie. Since Blue was supposed to be at WildCare I thought we might have a juvenile from another nest like we had at the PGE site some years ago. Much to our surprise we learned that it was Blue, who had been brought back earlier than we expected. She was given a clean bill of health, a prophylactic for the parasite that may have infected her brother, and a test in a flight cage (which she passed) and released back to Craig of Bay Raptor Rescue who brought her back to the nest site.

She didn't stay long on the roof of 350 (even though she was wetted down with water). She spread her wings, preened, dried off in the sun and around 1:30pm she was off. She made a great level flight to the 24th floor roof of 150 and made a good landing. We were on the 6th floor roof terrace of the building so I spent the next 2 hours looking straight up at the taller portion of the building watching her move back and forth along the roof ledge.

Around 3pm I went to get something to drink and as I was returning and crossing the street (standing on the cable car tracks) she decided to fly again. Denise was able to track her as she flew back toward the nest building but lost track of her and started a street by street search. I went back up to the roof terrace, and all of a sudden Val was in the air over 100 Pine St (100), cacking and swooping over the building. Cany uses this building a lot as a perch on top of some decorative structures that frame the windows. Val often sits there too, and it gives them a great view of the entire area. I am guessing that Blue landed on the building and Val wasn't happy with her being there. If she did land she didn't stay long; I soon found her back on the roof of 150 (where she started). She stayed for a couple of hours and then decided to fly again (another great up high level flight ) catty-corner across Front and California to 201 California (201). Peregrines like the corners of buildings and she walked the roof edge back and forth a few time, finally settling on the corner at Front and California. She seems to be flying great and I have no idea why yesterday was just down, down, and more down. Her only problem now is a pair of gulls who are nesting on a low building on California between 360 and 150. The male has been harassing her and although Val did dive bomb him a few times he can be very persistent. He dives 5-6 times and breaks it off and Blue has been good about just hunkering down and letting him fly over.

Denise, Dan, Roy stayed until about 8pm and everybody was in place when they left. 201 has plenty of "stuff" on the roof where Blue can safely roost for the night.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 11:39 am 

How very exciting! Glad all is going well for the San Francisco fledge watch! Thank you, Bev! :thanku

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 8:44 am 

from BARbara
they were busy today
you will note that they just say Cany , as that is nickname for Canyon

report from BArbara
It is probably easier if I go bird by bird.

Last night when I left there were two on the nest ledge and Blue on 201. At 8pm when the rest of the folks left there were two on the nest and Blue on 201. For whatever reason, at twilight Blue decided to fly. I think that the male gull played a role in this but whatever happened Blue ended up on the ground - again. We are not sure of the exact location as there are conflicting stories . However some passerby or building security noticed a big brown bird on the ground and called San Francisco Animal Control. They came, picked her up and took her for an overnight stay in peregrine jail. Late morning she was picked up by Craig of Bay Raptor Rescue who released her on the roof of the nest building a little after noon. Of course she didn't want to stay put so she immediately flew. After a brief search we found her on the Le Meridian Hotel, at the corner of Battery and Commercial. She was on the roof about 24 stories up so all was well. She was there for a while but of course decided to fly. She flew along Battery, across California, made a right turn and ended up on the J Harold Dollar Building at 351 California. The is an old 16 story building with deep set windows. She was on the 15th floor and was quickly reported to building management by the occupants, and of course reported to Craig (we are quickly becoming the talk of the neighborhood - thankfully in a good way). When I left at 7:15pm she was still there.

Now, Purple and Yellow - They both fledged!, some time this morning before anyone got to the site. Purple was identified on 255 California, and Yellow was on 351 California, both on roof ledges (and yes Yellow is on the same building as Blue only on the roof).

255 California has a ledge but in the middle of the ledge is a 2 rung railing that completely encircles the roof. Purple was on the outside of the railing and spent most of the day walking around the roof-line, preening, sunbathing, and flapping. Mid afternoon Val brought a nice hunk of prey and landed on the railing, dangling the prey from her beak. As much as she tried she couldn't figure out a way to get down to the ledge to feed Purple and I guess didn't want to just drop the prey, so Purple sat under her looking up at the dangling food. Val finally gave up and flew to Yellow and fed her. Yellow had her fill and Val took the food to the roof of the nest building and probably ate it. Every body went back to sitting, preening, pancaking, and looking until approximately 6pm, when Cany brought in a large prey and did a food transfer with Val .

Val took the prey to the green/blue building to pluck and eat. She then brought another portion to Yellow and fed her, and Purple just had to watch again. Around 6pm, Purple decided it was time to fly, she took off from 255 did some nice circles over the buildings flew down Battery toward Market, made a sharp right turn mid-block and ended up on the Robert Dollar Building on the corner of California and Battery and next door to the J Harold Dollar Building. Not satisfied with that landing site and probably trying to get to her sister above, she took to the air again and flew quite nicely but to 260 California, catty-corner across California. It is an old ornate, 6 story building and she found a nice wide window ledge.

Window ledges are great places for peregrines to tuck in for the night, and I hope Yellow finds a good spot on her roof. Peregrines most often tuck into corners with their backs facing out so they disappear into the night.

At 9pm they were still in these same places and Yellow was looking for her roost spot.

Barbara

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 10:27 am 
Site Admin

:thanku

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 10:08 am 

I will post last 2 reports later today, but sadly , blue is deceased but other 2 are still doing ok. Barb has to go on another watch but she will keep us posted.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:12 pm 

this is a nice report( did not have time to post the other previous 2 but you can see the other 2 are doing well)
well it will no t let me put in . saysSQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Incorrect string value: '\xE2\x80\xAFPM ...' for column 'post_text' at row 1 [1366]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

bev. wrote:
this is a nice report( did not have time to post the other previous 2 but you can see the other 2 are doing well)
well it will no t let me put in . saysSQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Incorrect string value: '\xE2\x80\xAFPM ...' for column 'post_text' at row 1 [1366]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.

I can explain why this happens..when we copy/paste from a different source, that source may have hidden code or formatting in the article...or there could be a misplaced character such as an asterick that the forum software does not recognize. So, instead of posting gobbledygook (that's probably not how you spell it.), it alerts with an SQL error.

You could probably copy/paste into a word document and look for the error (I have done that before) but ya may go blind looking for it...its usually something very minor.

Thanks for trying.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:04 pm 

I will try and repost , but the god news is, the remaining 2 juveniles are doing great

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:19 am 

another report frm BARb( yeah :CLAPS: :CLAPS: this one posted)

I was at Sansome St. and Clay yesterday to answer the question about the fledglings that have been observed along the Embarcadero near the Bay Bridge touch-down near Main St. and Bryant St. I observed our two girls at Sansome St. while Dan, Denise Roy saw the three fledglings at Pier 28 along the Embarcadero. It looks as though there are two girls and one boy. Obviously there are two families.

For those who have been with the group since 2016 you will remember when the PGE female Cher and Dan adopted a fledgling. The wayward fledgeling showed up first at ATT Park and sat on a cupholder on one of the seats during a game. Sometime after this appearance there was a commotion at 123 Mission (catty-corner to PGE) and when it was over there were 4 fledglings that both Cher and Dan fed and took care of, until all 4 left the area.

A pair along the Embarcadero from Heron's Head Park Wetland to Pier 28 has been observed for many years and obviously in 2016 they successfully fledged at least one peregrine (a male, if I remember correctly) who decided to leave home. The territory never interfered with the PGE territory and we never observed any territorial disputes.

Female peregrines (technically a "falcon") often have more than one nest site within their territory and may use a different nesting site each year. The reasons are unknown but it could be a matter of cleanliness or a disturbance at a previous nest site. As an example, the first falcon at PGE (Gracie) used the north side of the building, then the south side of the building, and then used a planter box on 201 Mission, across the street from PGE. The nest site for the Embarcadero falcon has variously been reported to be a crane, a stationary ship, and may now be under the I-80 freeway that leads to the Bay Bridge. Falcons will often take over a stick nest of a raven or crow and perhaps that why the family is closer to Pier 28. There are some tall buildings in the area and "peregrine paint" was observed on one of the windows The young however are using the light standards, and the warehouses on the piers. The two girls are still doing a lot of sitting and the male seems to be out and about (very typical for young peregrines).

It looks like San Francisco will send off 5 young peregrines this year, and if the Alcatraz family fledges into the City as they did last year, there will be even more.

Barbara

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 325 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next