Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: COLUMBUS~JULY-DECEMBER, 2017
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:08 am 
Site Admin

Welcome July.....and probably the rest of the year!!

ODNR Cam link:

Alternate Cam link via 10TV:

Ledge Cam Only

Nest Cam only

- Durand bl 32/X, silver on right leg..
"Aries" , b/r 30/Z. No Band on the right leg.

Post subject: Re: COLUMBUS~JULY-SEPTEMBER, 2017
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:51 am 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:25 am 
Site Admin

Durand is still sitting on the ledge, box end..

Come on kids...at least one of you needs to visit before we run out of cam time!!!

gonna get my chores done before I start the arduous task of trying to restore some pics...I'm not sure I'll live long enough to complete this task!! LOL...I'm still hoping PB will rethink this disaster of a decision!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:12 pm 

Nobody home for the past hour.

:tantrum2: I have been reading and seeing all the Photobucket issues that have been going on here this week. What an outrageous thing for them to do with no warning. Such greed. I often had difficulties using the site due to the ads, pop-ups, and security warnings. Do they not get enough money from all the ads? Jeez! I have not logged into PB since last weekend and won't do so. So far, all my pics are still showing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:27 pm 
Site Admin

Yep...its a nightmare, for sure...not everyone has been affected yet...not sure why, but count your blessings!!

PB is getting blasted on Facebook. that's really the only place you can go as support is replying with canned emails...I have never posted so much in my life!!! I don't know what their thought process could have been, but I think they are totally blown away and unprepared for all the angry posts they are being bombarded with.

They just posted again with: "Thank you for all of the recent feedback and questions. We are trying our best to respond quickly and thank you for your patience." All that's done is generate another string of angry posts...LOL

Maybe if enough of us stick with it, we'll wear them down and they'll have to do something..If you are on FB, feel free to join in. :biggrin:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:23 pm 

:thanku SGB. I have every intention of making my voice heard on facebook about this issue.

On a lighter note...a parent is perched on the nest box roof, facing the back wall. I'm guessing it's Aries. Maybe he thinks if he can't see the kids, they won't be there...lol. Out of sight....out of mind. :teehee:

1:16 pm

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:22 pm 

I may have just missed a bonding session. Aries was in the box alone and after I saved his pic, I looked back and Durand was in the box alone. Ack! She did a lot of work on the scrape. She is now perched on the ledge preening.

2:14 pm - Aries

2:15 pm - I turned away for a moment and then Durand was in his place.

2:18 pm - Durand next to a molted primary feather.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:25 pm 

She has moved into the shade on top of the nest cam...her favorite perch. :15heartbeat: Very busy preening. I see some large primary pefa feathers in the box...looks like one or both parents is molting....right on schedule.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:34 pm 

Durand has now moved to the back of the nest box roof, facing out toward the sky and preening.

2:53pm - She is now on the front of the roof facing out.

I'm heading out. Too bad no kids came to visit her.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:22 pm 

I opened the cam at 8 pm to find Aries in the box squeaking and Durand on the ledge by the ledge cam freaking repeatedly and smacking her beak. Either she just ate or she fed the kids. Aries then became motionless in the box, trying to get some Zzzzzzz's. He is such a droopy drawers. The kids must really be tiring him out. Durand is wide awake, checking out the skyline, and preening.

8:01 pm - Aries in the box.

Durand on the ledge bowing to him.

8:09 pm - Aries falls asleep.

8:21 pm - Aries comes out on the ledge. Durand bows. He goes to the top of the box roof, facing the wall. She looks like she might be whining at him....lol.

8:23 pm - He's preening...she's whining.

8:36 pm - Both still there. It's amazing to me that none of the kids has tried to follow the parents to the ledge. Durand is not hiding. She is perched on the ledge edge in plain view.

8:49 pm - Durand whining to Aries on top of the box.

8:50 pm - Aries wakes up. He pops down form the roof into the box, bowing. Looks like he wants to bond, but Durand is not obliging him. He moves to the porch out of cam view.

Aries comes down into the box.

Aries before departing.

8:59 pm - As I was typing, I think Aries took off. Durand was still on the ledge and I saw a bird flying from left to right. Then later, I saw a falcon flying upward and to the right.

9:09 pm - Someone flying from right to lower left. Durand still on the ledge.

9:15 pm - Falcon soaring left to right. Durand on the ledge.

9:22 pm - Durand still on the ledge. Preening. Seeing an occasional feather take to the air and her beak has down on it.

Not sure who I saw flying. Hoping the kids were flying with Dad, but I never saw two birds at once on cam in the air. I have lots of pics, but need to find another photo site to use.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:27 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks nadia..

well, this is embarrassing...I have pics of several of their visits, bonding in the box, etc...I obviously mislabeled them and now I can't find them....geeeeeeeeeeee..

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:53 pm 

:flirty: Only Durand remains and she is perched on the cam.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:32 pm 
Site Admin

From this morning..

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:55 pm 

Somebody is on the nest roof right now and I am watching the Rhodes Tower and surrounding buildings on the Columbus osprey cam!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:36 pm 
Global Moderator

Testing...

PB link...

Worked!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:56 pm 
Global Moderator

Red, White and Boom is tomorrow night.
Stay safe Columbus falcons, parents and kids!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:57 am 
Site Admin

I've just read some very exciting news on the Canadian Peregrine Foundation Facebook page..I'm just gonna post their update here:

(a little background first~while doing fledge watch for Toronto Sheraton, they discovered, to their surprise. that the Mount Sinai Hospital site was VERY active)

...we have switched our efforts up to the Mount Sinai Hospital as the threesome are ready to go. We spent time yesterday watching the family and attempted to get a confirmation on the bands of the adults. I can say with great certainty that we strongly believe the male to be Hunter, a 2000 hatch from the Rhodes Office Tower nest in Ohio. Hunter has been in Toronto for a very long time. Back in 2002-2003, he was positively ID'ed with Ranger at the Canadian Tire building at Yonge and Eglinton and after failing to hatch eggs there, the pair made attempts at other sites in the city. Mount Sinai became their final stronghold where a tray had been installed in 2002 and each year they laid eggs on various ledges that failed to hatch. In December of 2013, following a severe ice storm, Ranger was lost to us having been found deceased on a downtown sidewalk. By 2014 a new female had found Mount Sinai and a lone Hunter looking for a mate. The two again attempted to nest but to no avail. While watching the Toronto Sheraton birds this year, Linda, who has been watching the Mount Sinai pair each year since birds were first noted there in the early 2000's, saw something on that ledge that she knew was different. It was shortly confirmed by Bruce and Harry that there were three young on the third ledge where the nest tray is located and that they were nearly ready to go. Yesterday I made an attempt at getting band number confirmation off of the adults and I can state as fact that the male is banded black H over green ? (can't confirm that yet) and bears the distinct helmet and grey sideburns of Hunter. At 17 years of age he has his first family and he is absolutely elated. We watched him hunt and hunt and hunt... ...he is now in superdad mode. While I have yet to get the bottom letter off of his band, I feel very confident that this is him. We are all feeling incredibly elated that Hunter now can celebrate his first hatch and we look forward to seeing him training his kids. The female remains unidentified at this time but we can say two things about her; she's huge and she's Canadian. I'm on my way down now to try again at band numbers for the female and full confirmation of Hunter while Harry, Bruce and Linda monitor the three crazy kids on the ledge. Pictures to come soon!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:21 am 

:eggthumb: That is absolutely amazing. 17 yrs old? That would be Scout and Orville's son? What a hardy bird he is...and to still be fertile. My goodness....a 1st time dad at that age. What a beautiful update. Thanks SGB. :15heartbeat:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:40 am 
Site Admin

No, not Scout and Orville...according to the Data base, Hunter's mom was Katie (1807-69733), a 1998 hatch from Milwaukee...His dad was not banded...

this was way before my time and maybe before Donna's time.

According to the database, Hunter had 2 sisters, Comet and Rocket, and 1 brother, Maverick. Maverick nested on the Bank One building in Canton, Ohio from 2003-2005. No records after that.

Now, the "Bank One" site is the current home to our Canton pair, Mystic and Maverick.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:16 pm 

Thanks SGB. Do you mean Mystic and Maurice...lol? :girlcrazy: :teehee: I started watching Columbus just when Spark arrived, so Hunter is way before my time. I don't even know how long Scout and Orville were at Columbus, but I gather they were very loved by all. I am just amazed that Hunter is still making babies at age 17. Wow! Must be that good Canadian living.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next