Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: MI-2017 Jackson,Grand Haven,Copper/Houghton,Kalamazoo,GRapid
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:15 pm 
Site Admin

Grand Haven

Looks like the kids were banded today...box is clean and we can see..at least for now..only problem? we're missing a chick! I'm only seeing 3!! Its been so murky, its been hard to get a head count..Hopefully #4 will reappear...but, didn't when the parent arrived...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:13 pm 
Site Admin

Grand Haven...before the cam gets gunked up again.I wonder when we lost a chick... :girlsad3: .

Just trying to read the band..

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:47 am 

Copper

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:46 pm 

Copper

When mom came with food I only saw two chicks at first. :gaaaaah: Of course one was hiding in the corner. All three had full crops at the end of the feed.

:biggrin:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:06 pm 

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:37 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Carolyn!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:05 pm 
Site Admin

RE: Kalamazoo

Well, it appears that 2 of the kids have gotten themselves in a bit of trouble and are now at Braveheart Rehab..

posted on FB on 6/8

They are doing well and plans are to release the male next week.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:15 pm 

I think this article contains info about the 4th chick from Grand Haven.

http://www.grandhaventribune.com/Enviro ... m&lp=1&p=1

overly rambunctious???

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:14 am 

skygirlblue wrote:
RE: Kalamazoo

Well, it appears that 2 of the kids have gotten themselves in a bit of trouble and are now at Braveheart Rehab..

posted on FB on 6/8

They are doing well and plans are to release the male next week.
If they aren't injured I wonder why they just weren't taken back to their nest box for a do-over. Mom and Dad are the best teachers.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:41 pm 

Not easy to get them all in the same frame.

Jackson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:51 pm 

Copper

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:13 am 

Peregrine falcon dies after flying into window in Kalamazoo :sorrow:
KALAMAZOO, MI -- One of the peregrine falcons born in downtown Kalamazoo this spring has died.

The male peregrine falcon flew into a bank of windows at the Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine and died Sunday, June 18, said Gail Walter, past president of the Audubon Society of Kalamazoo. The bird was being treated for being a weak flier at Braveheart Raptor Rehabilitation Center in Twin Lake, and had been released back in Kalamazoo Friday, June 16, Walter said.

"It's pretty tragic," Walter said of the bird's death.

The bird was taken to a Michigan Department of Natural Resources lab in Lansing for a necropsy.

A female peregrine falcon who also was born this spring in Kalamazoo continues to recuperate at Braveheart and will be released in Kalamazoo within the next few days, Walter said. A third falcon born this spring has fledged and is doing well in Kalamazoo, she said.

Meanwhile, the remaining male and female peregrine falcons now have names, thanks to two fifth grade classrooms from Edison Environmental Science Academy in Kalamazoo. Walter said she and Ronald Foor, community president of Fifth Third Bank, where the peregrine falcon's nesting box is located, had given a presentation to the classes to teach them about the birds. In exchange, the classes came up with the names.

The students named the male Sharib, the Arabic word for mustache. Walter said during the presentation she described the birds as appearing to be wearing a hood and a mustache.

"I think it's a tribute to the diversity of the Kalamazoo population," Walter said.

Walter said the students named the female peregrine falcon Apex.

Walter said the two remaining peregrine falcons are "doing very well."

Peregrine falcons Rebecca, and her mate, Kewpee, have settled in the nesting box that volunteers erected outside the 13th floor of the Fifth Third building on East Michigan Avenue for four years. In 2014, 2015 and 2016 they raised four chicks to maturity. This year, three of Rebecca's four eggs hatched.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:20 pm 
Site Admin

Carolyn wrote:
Copper

Well, this is a new one on me!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:27 am 

Grand Rapids, MI - Eberhard Center

"I apologize for not posting earlier in the week, but I didn’t have enough information to do anything but speculate.

On Tuesday, 6/20, about 2pm in the afternoon, one of the chicks left the nest box. Several attempts were made to locate the juvenile that afternoon and evening, without success. We don’t know what happened, but there is still a chance it is on a rooftop somewhere. After this much time without being seen, chances are slim that it has survived. This chick was the slightly more developed one, but it still had more visible down than most fledglings, so it may not have been strong enough to really fly.

The second chick stayed in the box and used the extra space to do a lot of wing exercises, especially yesterday and this morning. Very little down is still visible on this juvenile. About 3pm today, 6/24, it disappeared. After the camera operator confirmed that it wasn’t in the box, I was able to get downtown to look for it. I didn’t have to look very hard, because it was laying on a roof ledge on the Eberhard Center below and to the south of the nest box. An adult, probably Mom/Majestic, was perched on one of the big blue letters just above it. I saw the juvenile walk along the ledge, but it must be on something that runs along the bottom of the letters and not along the actual edge of the building, because it was out of sight entirely part of the time. I also saw the second adult make a loop around the building, then leave. According to another watcher, an adult tried to deliver food to the nest box a little while later, but took the food away when it realized no one was home. I think this was the second adult, likely Dad. I had left already, so I don’t know if the food was delivered to the juvenile in its new location or not.

The ledge the juvenile was on is just two hops from the nest box, so I’m not sure we can say this bird has truly fledged. It may not have flown out and back, just jumped to a new location. We’ll be checking on him/her as often as we can in case it gets into trouble on its early flights. It could be another day or two before it ventures very far.

If you are interested in seeing the falcons for yourself, one of the best places to observe from is the Blue Bridge over the river, between Pearl and Fulton streets."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:12 am 

Copper Houghton

Looks like these three are almost ready to fledge! Also looks to be two female and one male. :dancegirl:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:36 am 
Site Admin

Awesome pics, Carolyn...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:54 am 
Site Admin

Copper~7/4, in the morning...when I checked late in the day, I only found 1...I haven't checked yet today.

Imgur

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:31 am 

The three chicks at the Copper/Houghton Lift Bridge have all fledged ... the male on July 5 and the two females by July 8. The cam operator has turned on the cams for both boxes because the male was using the north box to enjoy a meal. They were named by the students who built the new north tower box: Hank, Esther and Bridgette.

The International Bridge at Sault Ste. Marie had four peregrine falcon chicks this year and they were named for Canada's first men and women in space: Marc, Roberta, Steve and Julie.

http://www.erietvnews.com/story/35816046/peregrine-falcons-return-to-michigan-bridges

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:57 pm 

Copper

I looked here the other day and saw absolutely no one. I thought, Oh Geez I missed these guys fledge too!
There was somebody home when I looked today, a chick and a parent in their respective places. It looks and sounds very, very windy there!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:19 am 
Site Admin

Copper

I just read on FB that one of the females was injured: :girlsad3:

UPDATE ON 7/9: One of the females did not have a good fledge day. From Youngman on the Google blog: "At around 4PM Saturday, she was found near the Ramada Inn rather injured and unable to fly after an assumed collision with some barbed wire on a fence. She has been transferred to Chocolay Twp near MQT for treatment."

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next