Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DERBY CATHEDRAL~2019-2024
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:34 pm 
Global Moderator

2019 & 2023

Derby Cathedral Blog and Cam links:
Maybe webcam for 2022?

Facebook:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: DERBY CATHEDRAL~2019
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:58 am 
Site Admin

From the Derby Blog: :newegg:

A climb up Derby Cathedral's tower yesterday revealed the news we'd all been waiting for: - the first egg of the 2019 season.

Despite not currently having an internet link from the tower (and thus no live webcams at this time) we were able to directly access our cameras and retrieve a number of motion-activated clips. This suggests that the first egg was laid sometime between 22:30hrs on 31st March, and 03:00 on 1st April.

Whilst we were up in the tower (around 16:45pm) , we were able to witness a wonderful moment when the smaller male flew up onto the platform to join his partner. Together they stood, both with their heads bowed, calling loudly to one another, making "eeechupp-eeechupp" cries. After a few minutes of this courtship display the male flew off, leaving the now silent female alone with her new egg.

At this stage we can't promise when we'll have our webcam connections up and running again, but it's certainly great to be able to share these moments with all our blog readers.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:50 pm 

From Blog Home

FRIDAY, 5 APRIL 2019
Second falcon egg and an update

Update on 11 April: by now our pair should have a complete clutch and have started incubation.
Certainly when we have been up to look at the monitor in the tower
she has been sitting very tight on her eggs
and we haven't yet been able to see if there are indeed four or not. We expect there will be.
The cold winds from the NE and E blowing onto the nest will ensure
she stays put as much of the time as she can.....it least it has been dry!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:12 am 

SUNDAY, 28 APRIL 2019

Four eggs confirmed

:newegg: :newegg: :newegg: :newegg:

Yesterday (after returning from holiday and finally wresting my laptop off my daughter who'd been using it for her GCSE exam revision for the last few days!) I managed to call in at Derby Cathedral to check out our cameras. The good news is, we definitely have a full clutch of four eggs, and expect these to hatch out in the first week of May.

Nowadays, a laptop is needed because modern 'IP cameras' can't be viewed directly from a TV monitor, like our old cameras used to be. But what they can do is deploy 'movement detection', which automatically records a short clip of whatever is happening on the nest platform directly to a built in SD card. Most often it's just a bit of shuffling around on the nest scrape, which isn't very interesting to watch. But, by wading through the recordings, we can unearth gems recorded over the last few days or weeks, like the one below. Here we see the female peregrine falcon being relieved by the smaller male (known as a tiercel) from her main duties of incubation. It confirmed that, just as in every year since 2007, we have had a clutch of four eggs laid at Derby.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:35 am 

THURSDAY, 9 MAY 2019

Still awaiting hatching

With hatching expected around 8th May this year (quite a bit later than other local pairs)
a climb up the spiral staircase at Derby Cathedral was expected to reveal to us
that at least one new chick had hatched.

As the video below shows, as at this morning (9th May) our falcons are still incubating four eggs.
No sign of pipping could be detected, though some background chirps did make us wonder if we were hearing a soon-to-hatch chick inside its egg, or some other source of noise entirely.
Reviewing the automated recordings shows how one
or other bird has sat tight on those eggs during some pretty horrible weather.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 12:28 am 

From Blog

TUESDAY, 14 MAY 2019
First view of new chicks
After teasing us with late egg-laying and late hatching, we're pleased to be able to report that we now have our first chick - or chicks - of the season.

:hatchegg: (05/13)

We'd expected signs of hatching last Thursday (see post) but yesterday a return visit to Derby Cathedral's tower to check our cameras revealed some tantalising glimpses of our new arrivals.
With the sun having only just risen above the horizon, and shining directly into the camera, we can make out one tiny chick being carefully shielded by its mother.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... jTdovT1BJc

author: VC57UK

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 1:57 pm 

FRIDAY, 17 MAY 2019
Two peregrine chicks confirmed at Derby

:hatchegg: :hatchegg:

Yesterday morning we were able to confirm that we now have two young peregrine falcon chicks on Derby Cathedral, and two eggs that may well not now hatch. These will no doubt be incubated for some time to come until they either hatch, or she gives up on them completely. Meanwhile, both adults are caring for their new arrivals very attentively, as we see from the two clips below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzwOFgqE42E

author: VC57UK.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:26 am 

From Blog

Watch Points start and an Update

Update on the first Watch Point:
In good weather, the first of this season's Watch Point events took place on Saturday (25th May) with over 50 people attending.
Mike Goold (from DWT) took this photo of the falcon leaving the tower:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:25 am 

From blog : TUESDAY, 4 JUNE 2019

Two chicks confirmed

A trip up the tower to look at the monitor screen this morning (4th June) revealed that there are just two chicks this year as you can see:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:53 am 

From Blog

MONDAY, 10 JUNE 2019

Ringing the chicks and a washed out watch point

Today's Watch Point was cancelled needless to say due to the interminable rain
we are having.
Hopefully Saturday's will be OK since the weather looks better by then!

Newly-ringed chick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ca0IKvcJfA

author: VC57UK

Before it started to rain this morning (10th), the two chicks were ringed successfully!
It looks as if one was a female (the bigger one weighing circa 900 grams) and the other a male (ca. 700 grams).

Chick plus new shiny ring shows off its developing primary wing feathers.
Photo Gillian Foxcroft

Calm chick waits to be returned to its nest.
Photo: Gillian Foxcroft

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... HJHEtvqTE8

Nick Moyes returns the chick to its nest platform

Photo taken from the monitor in the tower

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:58 am 

From blog

SUNDAY, 16 JUNE 2019

The long wings of the law......

After a phone call from Mike Goold, who is helping to run the Watch Points this summer, I dashed down to the cathedral at about 5.40pm today (Sunday 16th) to find that the male youngster had fledged but come to ground.
As I arrived at the car park next to the cathedral, I could see a group of four police officers and a traffic warden standing near the far corner - so I knew I was in the right place.

Looking somewhat dishevelled, the young male chick was on the ground in the corner, wedged between the brick walls and a couple of pallets. Gently I moved the pallets aside and the bird adopted the usual defensive posture - on his back with his talons facing up at me.

Fortunately I had remembered to bring an old cloth and a cardboard box and was quickly able to catch him and show the force the full force of its powerful talons!
After they had taken a few photos and I had explained why the bird had ended up there and what its two rings were for, I put the bird in the box and, with the help of a cathedral steward, made my way to the foot of the tower.
Sunday evensong would begin in 15 minutes and the bells were being rung - so, box in hand, I climbed the tower as quickly as I could and released the young falcon on the top, feeling the tower shaking due to the bells swinging below me as I did so.

Safely in custody

All boxed up

Given that this bird had fledged (or been pushed) a bit too early (he still has some fluffy white down here and there as you can see) I decided to release him not straight onto a parapet but onto the roof of the tower. His parents will certainly find him there and feed him until he feels confident to jump up onto the stonework and launch himself once again.....

Where am I now?
I was soon back on the ground and off home but not before meeting up with Mike who had come to watch, unfortunately just too late to see the action (next time Mike!).

Big thanks to the folk at the cathedral who helped, the traffic warden who found him, the police officers for standing guard, the Rayner family who worked out a way to get in touch with the project and to Mike for alerting me! Mike told me subsequently about the very roundabout way that some bystanders (the Rayners) managed to contact him. They did so via a relative who knew someone connected with the Wakefield Peregrine Project who managed to trace Mike via Facebook! A somewhat circuitous route but involving a great degree of quick and clever thinking.

Thanks to all involved!

Nick B
The Project Team

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:25 am 

From Blog:

Report on the Watch Point on Wednesday 3rd July:

Today, Wednesday 3rd July 2019, was bright and sunny with a gentle, warm breeze. As we arrived, an adult peregrine appeared, carrying prey. The young female was perched on the rooftops of Bennetts shop, just along from the Cathedral, while the adult perched on the roof of the Premier Inn across the road. We watched as the young female became very excited and she ‘flew’ across to the other corner of the roof – she obviously spotted the adult who landed with the prey for her, before taking off and landing on one of the Cathedral’s pinnacles where it could keep watch. The adult was calling loudly all this time. The young female spent the next half an hour eating her fill.
Meanwhile, we watched as a buzzard flew across above the Cathedral roof and off into the distance. A little later we spotted the young male, high in the sky. We could see the pale border on his tail as he flew above us. He rose higher and higher until he was out of sight, and that was our only view of him during the session. We think that the adult male was with him, but it was difficult to be certain, as they were so high up.
Once the young female had eaten her fill, she again took to the air, circling right over our heads, before wheeling round and landing rather unsteadily on the Cathedral’s castellations. She had a further short flight, landing on the grotesques and hopping from one to the next, before again taking to the air and disappearing from our view. The adult female also treated us to several overhead flights, one where she was carrying prey which she cached above the louvre windows. Once the young female had gone, she also took flight and disappeared from our view. The show was over for us on our last Wednesday session of the season. We had 36 visitors in total today.
Joyce, Tony, Steve and Mike

THE FINAL WATCH POINT this year is on Saturday 6th July (10.30 - 1.30pm).
Do come along and watch the action now that both juveniles are flying free!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:50 pm 
Global Moderator

Maybe 2020 webcam!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: DERBY CATHEDRAL~2019-2021
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:40 pm 
Global Moderator

~Maybe cam for 2021!!
Links will be updated (if needed) for 2021.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:11 am 
Global Moderator

Info from Derby blog...
Link,

https://derbyperegrines.blogspot.com/

I believe the dates for the eggs are
1st 3/15/-16
2nd 3/18

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:09 am 
Global Moderator

After a two-year hiatus in connectivity, Derby Cathedral (England) Peregrine Project is delighted (and quite relieved) to once
again offer a public-facing webcam stream from the side of the city's oldest and most iconic building.
The live audio/video stream times out after 10 minutes.

The current/live pic is from a different angle than before... we are temporarily placing our first live camera stream here,
with a second to follow soon. We know that as of 17 March we had two eggs laid, so it's likely we now have at least one more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:42 am 
Global Moderator

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:39 pm 

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:27 pm 

Change

only one egg (?)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:17 pm 
Global Moderator

Loza, we had two eggs on the 18th...The webcam is not centered on the egg area.
See above photo -Surprise- with 2 eggs, one white :)

Profile E-mail