Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: GENESEE, ALBERTA, 2018
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:13 am 

june12

this will be hard day. winds were supposed to start calming down but I do not see it. Very heard for these birds.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:54 am 

june12

this pair deserves an award,
we had major wind earnings here for last few days plus rain. they manged to find a way to get food to box. It was not easy as they got blown off rail and learned to go in sideways. male proved himself by often delivering food sideways to box.
then female had a hard task of keeping kids safe and covered. Her wings would blow up and nearly take a kid out , but she quickly would pull it in . ONe time it was blown right over to right side. Some scary times.

So it was nice toward mid afternoon today to see winds die down and sun come out. the Female could finally leave box and spend time on rail preening. the kids could sprawl out in sun , instead of trying to stay in nest box. mom could just relax with her brood

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:40 pm 

This is becoming a text book case of how not to run a wild life cam. I thought things had settled down after that last debacle, but today takes the cake. Interfering with a young hatch to adjust the cam? I find it difficult to understand the mind set. Then again, we can’t see the openings that were the source of the last problems, was that the objective? If if was to improve the view of the nest it was a dismal result. The female, at least what I think is the Female, is terrified (I now can’t even tell the difference between the male and female). I will likely need to see both together to even tell if we even still have a pair. So much for monitoring. Most of the time I will likely be guessing rather than reporting. Hopefully Bev with her experience will get more from this than I will.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:24 pm 

I am just horrified that they do things like this.

after the last few days they have been through , I am mortified that they would pound on rial , really loud, to scare off female and then adjust cam. cam was just fine the way it was. nothing to disturb chicks about.
female has been off for almost an hour . just in sporadically. these young ones are not old enough, and male will not hunt. he will be on guard.

the view was fine. we saw the male and female come on left side yesterday, something we could not see before. . things are so distorted. if we had just tuned in , we would know it was same bird.
my main concern is the chicks as always. interference for no good reason is just irresponsible

I really wonder about their reasoning for all o f this . just so frustrated

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:49 pm 
Site Admin

I saw this and was just mortified!! Its one thing to disturb at banding, but to adjust a cam? many would have left it alone UNTIL banding...

Current

I tried to "chill" a bit after I took a deep breath and remember that New Jersey checks ALL of their chicks before banding and freaks out the parents. I guess I'm more sensitive here because of all the earlier disturbance. I guess they need a check list of do's and don'ts for this nest site....sigh..

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:53 pm 

The difference in New Jersey SGB is, they went up for a good reason . they thought one of the chicks was in danger and it was ,and they put in 3 fosters. When they were gone it was quiet. Here they are working in the stack, which is bad enough, but to bang on rail and scare the ****** out of the female to adjust a cam ??? If that was the true reason to be up there, they could have done it at banding , like last year.

no excuses here, and later in afternoon, you could hear the falcons flying and kaking and people yelling at them. WE may not be able to see the window and door but I have watched enough years, that I know exactly what is happening. We have driven out in past years to verify for ourselves.
a saying comes to mind but I will no t use it here, but the word stupid is in it.

so now I am done ranting. I will watch the birds for their safety but nothing else.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:25 am 
Site Admin

It wasn't my intention to minimize what is going on here, Bev...

I have a hard time understanding that they just "don't get it"...here.

To clarify about New Jersey...they always check out their nests prior to banding to pre treat for Trich (I wish everybody did this!!)...I just wasn't referring to the Jersey City nest. They went to Union...and a few others that I can't remember.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:25 am 

I was just coming to post that something bad was going on here yesterday as I could hear talking and banging and parent was upset. Didn't get a chance to get back to it. UNBELIEVABLE!

Anyway here are some pictures of the nest yesterday.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:37 am 

skygirlblue wrote:
It wasn't my intention to minimize what is going on here, Bev...

I have a hard time understanding that they just "don't get it"...here.

To clarify about New Jersey...they always check out their nests prior to banding to pre treat for Trich (I wish everybody did this!!)...I just wasn't referring to the Jersey City nest. They went to Union...and a few others that I can't remember.

no worries SGb
they do not get it here , period.

I admire what they do at Jersey city and I remember they went to Union also that day.
I was discussing that with Gord today.

so as i said before, I monitor this nest ,as I have always liked the location, but the rest is ............
so if something goes wrong , I will report to Gord.

today our birds had lots o f nice feeds, the weekend should be quiet in the stack

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:02 pm 

It's pretty peaceful and serene right now......

:15heartbeat: :15heartbeat:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:22 am 

she brought in whole bird

will do up a report here tomorrow.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:10 am 
Site Admin

More of an appetizer than a full breakfast...but the chick in the back was more interested in scratching than eating..by the time s/he was ready to eat, feed was virtually over...LOL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:29 pm 

june 19

they are not getting the big feeds they need during the day, and we are in a heat wave right now. same stuff going on here as before
. been going on for about 4 days now. they just do not have respect for the birds.

At this time last year, I thought we would loose a chicks or two as they were not getting enough, ( no hunting when birds are in protect mode)but on the weekend( last year) the male and female came in with a prey each and tandem fed, they did this for a day and half and turned the chicks around. hope we do not have the same this year.

YOu have heard of the show, Clueless. that fits here

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:47 pm 

The female feeds the little ones

https://youtu.be/KcwcIzwBFC0

https://youtu.be/L3epbgWZRL4

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:02 pm 

Thank you for the videos. I feel so bad for this family of falcons. I wish the workers could stop all of the noise. It breaks my heart to see her so stressed.

:girlsad3:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:01 am 

you and me both Sally.
basically these kids did not eat from 6:45am till 4:23pm that is too long to wait in this heat. just after 2 the female quickly flew in box with tiny bird and it jus t took a few minutes and it was gone. not enough for everyone
This sporadic feeding could cause delay in growth.
thye had a 4:23 feed( 10 minutes)
5:42pm feed ( shore bird)
7:49pm - small feed)
9pm - nice feed.

so they got good feed before bed. I think mal must have gotten it as she was not gone long enough to catch it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:36 am 

Bev, could someone rescue the babies if need be? Sometimes I can't even watch this site but check in frequently. Here's to a better day for them. The babies don't look robust as they should at this stage but that is my opinion.

:girlsad3:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:55 am 
Site Admin

I'll try and keep this cam up more...

Some were quite frisky when I was watching a few minutes ago...I didn't go back through the DVR to check...but, will go do that now..

Beaking its sibling..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:11 am 
Site Admin

From the DVR...approximately 3:45 hrs ago...feed lasted a little over 7 minutes. The crops I could see were fairly full and everybody ate.

few more bites after this..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:18 am 
Site Admin

Dad came in to baby sit about 2 1/2 hrs ago...he was cute.

Snack about 46 minutes ago...very small songbird of some sort..couldn't tell..

The baby in the back was more interested in the leftover wing in the box...by the time he showed interest in the feed, it was over.

...and that's about all the excitement I have found thus far today..sometimes a parent is on a perch and sometimes not...most of the time the babies are sleeping, but when not, they are up and preening/flapping, etc.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next