Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: MISC. GHO ~ 2016-2018
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:02 am 

I think the main concern for the owlet are possible predators on the ground. But, during the day, one of the adult owls was seen by DRI on the ledge around the corner from the nest while Jina was on duty. So, I think the 3 adults are keeping a watchful eye on the grounds from various vantage points to keep it safe for the little one !! :flirty:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:49 am 

April 23, 2018
Hot lil Owlet #1 leaves the nest, flappin for the shade!
They ALWAYS fledge early and are FINE
Thanks to all you ladies who postd - Somehow I dropt off the email

:loveheart2:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:16 am 

Swinwk, I saved pics of the fall to my computer Monday night. They are screen shots from the site's video archives. I could not post that evening and indicated Tuesday morning that I would do it later. During the day when I am working, I cannot post or view pics on this site. Thankfully, Arlene Beech captured the fall on video, which I found last night and added. I did not want to create a new post with the pics/video, which would be out of sequence to events.

Anyway, the fall occurred around 5 pm Nevada time. BCAW is on Eastern Standard time, so there is a time difference. I agree that the owlet on the ground is smaller. Contrary to what others say, I believe the grounded owlet is Zephyr, not Washoe. When I went back into the archives Monday night, both owlets were side by side trying to squeeze in front of Jina for shade. I thought the smaller owlet (smaller head) chose to go to the ledge and fell over. Hopefully with 3 parents watching over the grounded owlet, he/she will be safe. I believe the biggest threat is coyotes, but my understanding is that there are a ton of rodents in the area, so plenty of food for them. Human activity may keep coyotes away from the buildings and courtyard. The surrounding area is desert with scrub brush, so the owlet is probably better off in the protected courtyard. There are small trees in the courtyard. So, once the owlet is able, it may climb up into a tree and be off the ground.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:27 pm 

A pic this evening, 620pm Nevada time, of the owls waking up for the night. Jina and her owlet. Growing fast.

Here are pics that were taken yesterday by the Nevada Dept of Wildlife of the owlet on the ground. Looks like he/she has found a good place for cover during the day. Courtesy of Nevada Dept of Wildlife facebook page.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:10 am 

Nadia what beautiful pics!
thank you

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:49 am 

From the horse's mouth ... Jina there first!

(EDIT to add @ 1225) Article by National Geographic. Jim Thomas (worked @ DRI, retired early March) was first to notice Jina and Aries fighting for this location from ravens back in late February. Sienna shows up @ a later date!!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:57 am 

May 1, 2018- As of Tuesday, May 1, 2018 one owlet has left the nest and is doing well. DRI and NDOW still do not have plans to intervene because the owl parents are still very active and remain in the area.

Both NDOW and DRI will continue working with our local media outlets to update the public on the status of the owls and the owlets. Anyone who is interested can follow DRI and NDOW at the Facebook page links below, and read the local news stories also posted below.

We also want to note that at this time DRI and NDOW do not have plans to move the camera or continue this live feed once both owlets leave the nest.

Thank you for tuning in and please, again, be respectful of others if you choose to engage in the chat.

DRI Communications Office
NDOW Public Information Office
:girlsad3:

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 12:41 am 

:flirty: Zephyr is showing strong signals of fledging soon! Watch while you can ...

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:02 am 

Posterior view, Zephyr has lost a lot of fluff, anterior view, not so much ...

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 11:22 pm 

:teehee: A fun to watch exchange between Zephyr and Jina starts @ 7:30 PM through 7:56 PM on the DVR. Starts with Jina bringing in a rabbit for Zephyr and ends with Zephyr biting her tail. Not only does Zephyr look like Jina, he is starting to act like her!! :biggrin:

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:43 am 

DRI Owl Cam - Nevada

:penguin: All going well here. Here's a pic from Tuesday, May 1st of the owlet on the ground...doing very well. I continue to believe this is the younger owlet, Zephyr. Tail feathers are much less developed and barely visible. I think people may have assumed that with this owlet fledging first, it was the older one, but that is not necessarily true. This pic is a screenshot from a video posted by DRI on the Nevada Dept of Wildlife Facebook page.

Below are pics I took yesterday of the owlet on the ledge. This youngster is doing lots of hop flaps and is getting some flight distance of about 4-5 ft that I could see. Practicing take-offs and landings. It will still be a bit longer before this one is fully flying. The owlet has become aggressive with food, mantling and self-feeding. All part of growing up.

Sat May 5th, 734 am - Jina on the left. Owlet on the right with nice long tail feathers visible. I think this is Washoe. Last weekend the white edge of the tail was already visible for this owlet. This pic is only 4 days after the pic of the owlet on the ground. Feathers for the owlet on the ledge are much more developed.

Sat early evening - Owlet on the ledge, waking up for the night's activities.

Courtesy of DRI owl cam.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:46 am 
Global Moderator

:15heartbeat:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:47 am 

BEAUTIFUL photo nadia, thank you!
I suspect the owlet on the ground is a male.
They usually fledge first, altho I suspect this guy was more of a fludge - but those are common with owls
The owlet with Jina is huge - MOST likely female.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 12:22 pm 

Nadia and Shepherd, I hope that you do not mind me referring to the owlet on the ledge as Zephyr and/or him.
In actuality, I do not know which owlet is Zephyr or Washoe. I was just trying to tell the differences in their faces when the one fell off the ledge. While not many members view here, there are several quests that do. As the folks on chat seem to believe the remaining owlet on the ledge is Zephyr, that is how I refer to him so there is no confusion. I always follow chat when I am here and glean info and tips to happenings as their is little participation from BCAW on this nest. Also, I refer to him as him as I do not know the sex and this is common practice till you know. Sorry, I am not the expert on owls that you all are, but I have sure had a great time watching and learning from my first GHO nest. And I will be broken hearted when I can no longer view them.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 1:41 pm 

I just think of the owlet on the ground as
Down

and the owlet up with Jina as
Up

That is so much easier :)

SWIN I like your offereings.
When Up fledges, be happy. Its what should be.
Sad would be if it spent its life on that ledge and couldnlt leave

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 1:44 pm 

:egg19: No worries Swinwk....I know that everyone on chat has been referring to the ledged owlet as Zephyr. I was just posting my observations of feather development. I always thought the smaller owlet ended up on the ground, so I thought it was the younger of the two, which would be Zephyr. I just looked back and it appears that both owlets may have hatched only 1 day apart, so their feather development should be similar. Shep is probably right about the owlet on the ground being male, which would explain why it is smaller and could still be the 1st hatch. To be honest, I have no idea who hatched 1st...lol. :girlcrazy: We may have a female on the ledge and a male on the ground. I always thought males developed faster, but that's in falcons and eagles. Not sure about GHO's. The owlet on the ledge does seem further along in development. The two moms kept these owlets covered up so much after hatch that it is hard to say who hatched first. It really doesn't matter. The owlet on the ledge is being called Zephyr and that's the name it is. :girlyes:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:03 pm 

:eggthumb: You know what Shep and Nadia, I am afraid Zephyr is comfortable up there and may delay fledge. I wish you all could have seen the 20-25 minute run of the shenanigans between Zephyr and Jina last night, when she brought in the bunny. Tug of war, stealing it from each other, finally Zephyr had enough of his mother and pretended to swallow it whole!! You should have seen the look on her face when it happened and when she stepped around him to make sure she just saw what she had just seen. Hahahaah!! Then the little devil let it back up and took it to the pantry to eat. She left him alone after that. When he was finished she had a couple bites of it too, on his terms. It ended with Zephyr jumping up on the ledge and biting her tail feathers. She left after that. I think he looks like her and is emulating her quirky behaviors and I wouldn't want it any other way. We now have 2 quirky owls in the world and I love them to pieces. Once in awhile I see Aries with food deliveries directly to Zephyr, but rarely do I get to see Sienna anymore. And only Washoe when they publish a video. As Jina and Aries were the original mates to this nest, I hope they return next season! Would love to see Sienna here too, if she could focus on her eggs, if it were the same circumstances. But, she needs to spread her gene pool to the world too! I wonder if the powers that be will even continue a cam here next season. The gentleman with the initial interest has retired.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:04 pm 

I think they said they wont do a cam next year.
This was an interesting study.
That silly girl on the ledge WILL fledge. She'll get bored up there.
She is one Sassy Lady!
The lil guy on the ground looks cute enuf to hug

At some point Jina will stop feeding her up there,
and insist she fledge

:flirty:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:42 am 

Swinwk, I don't think we have to worry about Sienna spreading her gene pool. I'll bet there is a little bit of her in Washoe and Zephyr. :15heartbeat: Given the tolerance, allo-preening, and feeding between Sienna and Jina, Sienna is probably Jina's mother and Jina is a 1st year bird with her 1st nest. I believe Karla from the International Owl Center felt that for whatever reason, Sienna did not become territorial. First year birds are pushed out of the territory by their parents by fall. Young GHO's can breed their 1st year and have been known to establish their turf within a few miles from where they were raised. I am guessing that Jina did in fact leave, but did not go far and found a mate in Arie. Sienna may have lost her mate just before nesting season and became a floater. Floaters maintain a larger territory than mated pairs, which may have overlapped with her daughter. For whatever reason, Sienna ended up hanging out with them and did not get a new mate of her own. Jina tolerated her presence, which became both a blessing and irritant for this 1st time Mom. As Shep states, this was certainly an interesting study. We have seen polygamy in bald eagles, but I don't believe it was ever recorded in owls. Owls can lay eggs whether they have a mate or not. Karla's unmated owls do this each year - Ruby, Piper, and Uhu all exhibited nesting behavior and laid unfertile eggs this year at the International Owl Center. Sienna is clearly a very experienced mother. With the owlet on the ground, her extra set of eyes and experience has been very helpful to these newlyweds. Hopefully, at the end of nesting season, Sienna will find a new mate and Jina will continue her life with Arie. GHO's don't always return to the same nest each year, as we have seen at Savannah, Georgia and in OKC, much to our chagrin. :tantrum2: :biggrin:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:33 am 

I concur with Nadia on all she said.
As to mate - I have no guesses -
otherwise all I know about owls - Nadia said very well

Remember SWIN - we want the young to fledge and establish themsellves!
hehehe - hard to let go eh?

:biggrin:

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next