Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 817 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: HAILUOTO, FINLAND OSPREY-2009
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:30 pm 
Site Admin

I just came to report that I heard back from the wildlife center....and much to my amazement, :cheer you guys are well on top of it!!!! :wave Such wonderful news!!!.. :suncube: ..thanks to all for reporting the news, working on translations, and obtaining the email addresses for the wonderful people who helped take part in Koo's rescue!!! I certainly will be doing some more emailing when I get home this evening!!!!

I can see I need to go and get a lot more flags!!!! Talk about the world coming together!!!

_ Image :italy :neth :usa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:01 pm 

Thanks for all the good news of Koo. :D Is she / he very brave. Cure her, will be strong, healthy and will have great chicks.
Yet we hear about her. Hold on Koo.
Good luck Koo! :)
The whole world loves you and admires.

Koo, a little bird, and touched the whole world
Is not it beautiful?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:09 pm 

To Dutch Eagle Fan and the rest of you, I´m sure the police, hunters and Ranua zoo people understand English, but very sweet and polite to write in Finnish. The correct sentence would be something like this: "Kiitos Koon, nuoren kalasääsken, pelastamisesta!"
Your sentence would be understood, though you said that Koo would belong to youngsters, "nuorten kalasääski" ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:20 pm 

Thanks to everyone for all the info, email addresses, translations, & for taking time to send the emails. It is heart-warming that Koo has brought people from many different countries together! I'll be sending some emails tonight, too!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:21 pm 
Global Moderator

Hello ulag and :welcome to the BCAW Forum.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:23 pm 

ulag wrote:
Is not it beautiful?

Beautifully stated, also, ulag.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:51 pm 

ulag

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:18 pm 

ulag wrote:
Is not it beautiful?

Welcome ulag!
Yes, a little bird.. and yes, it is *beautiful*!!! :agree:

ALL CREATURES GREAT AND SMALL, THE LORD GOD MADE THEM ALL

- Dance me to your beauty with a burning violin
Dance me to the end of love
- Leonard Cohen

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:26 pm 

newandworried wrote:
To Dutch Eagle Fan and the rest of you, I´m sure the police, hunters and Ranua zoo people understand English, but very sweet and polite to write in Finnish. The correct sentence would be something like this: "Kiitos Koon, nuoren kalasääsken, pelastamisesta!"
Your sentence would be understood, though you said that Koo would belong to youngsters, "nuorten kalasääski" ;)

Oh drats! I was afraid of that, even though I ran several translation, in Dutch, German, French and English . . .
Next time I will wait for you to edit my poor attempts to write something in Finnish :redface :sofa :upwave:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:36 pm 

Sent now! So proud I did in Finnish! :yip
Thank you, newandworried!!!
:thanku

- Dance me to your beauty with a burning violin
Dance me to the end of love
- Leonard Cohen

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:51 pm 

I'm so proud to know the people on this forum--such a compassionate group of people!

Welcome to the forum, Ulag!
:grwelcom

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:24 pm 
Global Moderator

Kim in Italy wrote:
ulag wrote:
Is not it beautiful?

Welcome ulag!
Yes, a little bird.. and yes, it is *beautiful*!!! :agree:

ALL CREATURES GREAT AND SMALL, THE LORD GOD MADE THEM ALL

:agree: And welcome to the forum, ulag!

Thank you all for your posts, updates, translations, and e-mail addresses. I'm off soon to send some e-mails . . . in Finnish, of course, thanks to newandworried's translation of DEF's e-mail message!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:41 am 

Thank you all for a very warm welcome me in the forum.
It is only thanks to you, Koo lives. :thankyou
You are Wonderful
Poland greets you all
:happysun

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:25 am 

HI Everyone from Canberra Australia again... so pleased Koo isn't lost somewhere out in the ocean!
Take care and thanks for all the news!
Chrissy (Birdy1951)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:43 pm 

Birdy1951 wrote:
HI Everyone from Canberra Australia again... so pleased Koo isn't lost somewhere out in the ocean!
Take care and thanks for all the news!
Chrissy (Birdy1951)

Nice to see you again chrissy don't be a stranger OK?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:32 pm 
Site Admin

OK...I just spent quite a bit of time on the Looduskalender Forum trying to piece together the info on Koo....so here goes...(some of this could be old news...)

Posted by Olga on 8/31:

A nickname 'hei' tells in saaristomeri.fi what she/he has got know, at 9:25:

" I was in the contact with Ranua Zoo curator, who very kindly answered my questions. I understood that things are rolling forward and not to dither.

Koo was found in saturday evening and it could not then be moved to anywhere , of necessity, it was the night in the wild. The ditch, from which it was discovered, was dry.

Then in the morning Koo continued its journey towards Ranua in a cardboard box. The police also was in connection to Ranua at once.
On Sunday, the Osprey, of course, was fearful and would not have wanted to fish given by a man. Food had been forced to give a little as if by force, but today already Koo ate with taste fish and the bird was high-spirited. Koo was no longer as nice as when it was ringed, calm and quiet.

Koo showed already to have his/her own will, and Koo used his talons too. Since today and tomorrow their own vet and Helsinki wets are on vacation, they are trying to get foot filmed in Rovaniemi (not too far to the Ranua Center, 70 kms??). Touching the toes seemed not cause any pain, and the the toes work well. However, Koo had lost weight, or I think it's always been so.

Amount of food has not been sufficient. Now it should be adequate to get fish to eat to get weight and fitness to stand up. I asked also about the EU issue (European Union - Bird Directives?) , which I mentioned yesterday. He ( center curator) said directly without hesitation, that of course all the needy must be helped.

They have had one in jured Osprey had previously, which could be returned back into the wild.
Now, things have been taken en serious and they are fast."

Olin yhteydessä Ranuan eläinpuiston intendenttiin, joka erittäin ystävällisesti vastaili kysymyksiini koskien Koota. Sen tuntuman sain, että asiat rullaavat eteenpäin eikä jahkailla.
Koo oli löydetty illalla eikä sitä olosuhteiden pakosta silloin siirretty minnekään, vaan se oli yön luonnossa. Oja, josta se löydettiin, oli kuiva. Sitten aamulla sen matka jatkui pahvilaatikossa kohti Ranuaa, jonne poliisi oli ollut aiemmin yhteydessä. Sunnuntaina lintu tietysti oli pelokas eikä olisi halunnut ottaa kalaa ihmisen antamana. Ruokaa oli ollut pakko antaa hiukan niinkuin väkisin, mutta tänään kala oli jo maistunut ja lintu oli virkeä. Eikä ollut enää yhtä kiltti kuin rengastustapahtumassa. Osoitti jo omaa tahtoa ja olihan ne kynnetkin olemassa.
Koska tänään ja huomenna heidän oma ja Helsingin eläinlääkäri ovat lomalla, he yrittävät saada jalan kuvatuksi Rovaniemellä. Lintu ei sitä aristellut ja varpaat toimivat hyvin. Laihtunut se kuitenkin oli tai mielestäni se on ollut sitä aina. Ravinnon määrä ei ole ollut riittävä. Nyt sille annetaan riittävästi kalaa ja yritetään saada paino ja kunto nousemaan.
Kyselin myös siitä EU- asiasta, josta eilen mainitsin. Hän sanoi suoraan mitään epäröimättä, että tottakai kaikkia avuntarpeessa olevia pitää auttaa. Siis juuri sitä, mistä Nina Maria on kirjoittanut.
Ranuan eläinpuistossa on ollut aiemmin yksi kalasääksi, joka voitiin palauttaa takaisin luontoon.
Jonkin ajan kuluttua olen yhteydessä intendenttiin ja saan kuulla enemmän jalkaa koskevia asioita sekä myöhemmin muitakin Koota koskevia suunnitelmia.
Kiitokset vielä intendentille, jos hän tällä sivulla piipahtaa. Puhelun jälkeen tuli helpottunut olo. Nyt Koon asiat on otettu vakakasti ja niihin pannaan vauhtia.

Then Jo from UK emailed the center...asking about contributions...

Then a different translation of the same above message by ame of Finland:

hi! i'll try to translate. this quote above is taken from a discussion forum (Renandeli: from where? who is it who's writing these news?) and the person here tells that he/she has contacted the superintendent (or the director or something like that in the Ranua animal park). the news is the following (i'll insert some comments in parentheses and italics):
"the ditch where Koo was found was dry and the people who found it had to leave Koo there overnight because they couldn't take it away on the same day. in the following morning Koo was taken from there in a cardboard box to Ranua.
on Sunday the bird was so frightened that it would not voluntarily eat fish given by people but instead it had to be "sort of persuaded almost by force" (gently but firmly, i hope ). today (Monday) it has been eating well and is in good shape. it has not been as "kind" to people as it was when it was ringed. it displayed its own force of will by using her claws. (i guess this is very good news: the meaner Koo is towards people the better its health and shape )
the vets in both Ranua and Helsinki are on holidays today and therefore the people in Ranua are trying to get Koo's leg x-rayed in Rovaniemi. the leg is not hurting (the bird lets people touch it i guess) and the toes have normal mobility.
Koo looks and feels thinner than it should like it always has, so there hasn't been enough of food for her. now they will give her plenty of fish so that she'll get in better condition and get fatter.
(then this person is referring to something in connection with the EU, about helping injured animals...?)
in the Ranua animal park there has been one injured osprey previously which could be returned to nature (it's not clear whether they had had others, too, which could not be returned, or was the only osprey altogether. he/she does not tell, why this earlier osprey was taken to park, either)
he/she concludes that he/she will also contact the superintendent later to hear more news about Koo."

...and that's about it..lots of talk about osprey recovery, history of the nest, etc....no updated news as of today.

Llink to the forum:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:06 pm 

Thanks for the update :D looks good, no news is good news :lol:

JAZZEL ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:21 pm 

Thanks for researching that info, SGB! :thanku It sounds encouraging, especially the part about Koo getting her independent spirit back. The thing that really helped me breathe a sign of relief is them saying that her leg/talons didn't seem to be tender, so I'm taking that to mean that Koo wasn't in pain. I was very, very worried about that even though she seemed to be progressing well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:07 pm 
Global Moderator

Thanks so much, SGB, for pulling together the nice summary about Koo. It's just so reassuring to know that now she's in good hands and is finally getting the help she needed (and deserved) for such a long time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:53 pm 

You could tell looking at Koo, then the siblings, that Koo wasn't as big. I was 'assuming' that it was because it was so much harder for her to eat. So, hopefully they will be able to fatten her up!

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 817 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next