Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UK MIGRATION ~ 2011 - 2012
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:27 am 

PLEASE START 2012 POSTS HERE

LINKS

DYFI OSPREY PROJECT

HIGHLAND FOUNDATION for WILDLIFE

LOCH GARTEN

RUTLAND OSPREY PROJECT

Post subject: Re: UK MIGRATION ~ 2011 - 2012
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:05 pm 

Loch Garten osprey diary

A Very Happy New Year!
Julie Quirie
4 Jan 2012 12:31 PM

A Happy New Year to all our Bloggers and thank you for your greetings and wishes to all the staff Abernethy and Loch Garten, I hope you are fared well over the festive period, it is great to celebrate Christmas and the New Year, but also a relief when everything returns to normality.

It looks like 2012 is going to be a exciting year with the Queen's Diamond Jubilee and the London Olympics, but I'm sure the antics of our ospreys will top these two great events!

I opened the data with trepidation this morning, not having downloaded any for over two weeks....... but all is as it should be....phew.....

Rothes's data is still coming in intermittently, but she did make a detour to the neighbouring island of Unhocomo on the 27th December. and by way of a coincidence, Tore left her area for a short visit west of her usual haunt to an area north of Birkama, also on the 27th! ....and Bynack, well he's decided to visit the seaside over the holidays. He headed west on the 18th December and was still languishing on the coast slighty north-west of Dara on New Years Day. With the weather as it is here I rather wish I was there with him!

Keep warm and hope the gales over the past few days haven't caused too much problems for you.

Julie Q

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:06 pm 

Kitten, I love good migration news :ohyes:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:52 pm 

Jazzel26 wrote:
Kitten, I love good migration news :ohyes:

Yes I agree I'll tell you tho everytime I get an update here it scares me to open it after all the losses in the past couple yrs.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:11 am 

Loch Garten osprey Diary

For he's a jolly good fellow....

richard thaxton

10 Jan 2012 4:48 PM

and so say all of us.

We are delighted that our former colleague and continuing volunteer, Stewart Taylor, was made an MBE in the New Years honours.

Stewart started his career with the RSPB as a volunteer warden at Ramsey Island, Leighton Moss and at our very own Loch Garten Osprey Centre in 1971. He then joined the staff on a five month contract in 1973 guarding the Lake District golden eagles at Haweswater. From there followed a three year stint on Rhum working for the then Nature Conservancy Council. He returned to the RSPB in 1976 when appointed as our first and only warden of the Loch Garten reserve (now part of Aberenthy) . Stewart stepped down from the role of Senior Site Manager in 2002, but continued as a highly valued member of the team until 2010 when he formally retired. Nevertheless he continues to devote his days to adding to our knowledge of the numerous rare invertebrates, plants and fungi for which Abernethy is now so famous. Stewart has been an inspiration to countless staff and volunteers alike. Indeed the training and quiet encouragement he has offered will have prompted many people to pursue careers in conservation.

So we're delighted that his 37 years of dedication have been acknowledged and his continuing voluntary work on the reserve he did so much to establish will mean we continue to benefit from his knowledge and enthusiasm. Very many congratulations Stewart.

And so to our birds..... again all three have not ventured far this week, although Tore did make another trip to the west of her usual haunts, to the north-west of Kaour on the Casamance River. Bynack is still beside the seaside, it looks like he’s found a good feeding area on the west coast of Mauritania, and Rothes, yes you’ve guessed it, on her island of Ilha de Unhocomozinho.

(Posted by Julie Quirie)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:47 am 

KITTEN :thanku :rainbow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:53 pm 

Loch Garten osprey diary
16 Jan 2012 4:08 PM

Julie has checked the latest data and there is very little movement from Tore this week, but don’t panic she’s fine, pottering about on the Casamance River. Bynack is still visiting the same coastal area of Mauritania, although he has been returning inland to roost at night and Rothes, is as ever is still on Ilha de Unhocomozinho.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:42 am 

Loch Garten osprey diary
richard thaxton 25 Jan 2012 12:19 PM

How lovely

.......to hear a wren singing this morning on the way to work – for two reasons. Firstly, it struck me as rather early, another sign perhaps of the mild (I walked in shirt sleeves this morning!) winter so far and a looming early spring perhaps? Also, because wrens, like other small birds such as goldcrests for example, fair badly in harsh weather and the past two bad winters really hammered our local wrens up here in hyperborea. There really haven’t been any or many around for the past two years. So to hear one sing perhaps signifies a bounce-back by wrens in this area. I hope so. It wasn’t a quick token blast of song either, but a giving it laldie multiple rendition, and was uplifting to hear. Coal tits were at it again too, singing away as I walked.

I also heard a few crested tits en route too and some fly-over crossbills. Three “species” of 'bills are to be found here; common, Scottish and parrot. Telling one from another can be tricky but the pitch of their chip-chip-chip flight calls as they pass overhead, can be indicative. My guess? Well, they were a bit distant, but from what I heard and could tell, and given that it’s 25th January and Robert Burns' birthday, in recognition of the bard, I decided they’d be Scottish.

I’m interviewing for the Osprey Team 2012 tomorrow and Friday and once appointments are made I’ll introduce them to you in due course. It’ll be they that’ll be keeping you informed on the looming osprey season ahead.

Meantime, thanks to Julie for doing the data up-date. She reports that again this week there is little movement from Rothes, Tore and Bynack, all still content in their respective haunts. Some good news this week that Rothes’s transmitter has been sending back some daily data again. Hopefully this might continue so that we can follow her when she starts her migration in a few weeks time. Exciting stuff

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:29 pm 

I don't even want to post this
Loch Garten osprey diary
Feb. 1st 2012
There’s no point beating about the bush.......

............so with a heavy heart, I need to let you know that we have concerns for Bynack. :sosad2
Data last week made us wonder, but we wanted to see more data before beginning to draw any firmer conclusions. However, looking at data now for the past 10 days, it shows there to have been no movement from Bynack.

The data we get at this time of year is a fix at 09.00am and another at 17.00pm. Last week, with several identical fixes at both 9am and 5pm, we wondered (hoped!) that this suggested he had a favourite roosting tree perhaps, to which he routinely returned each evening at 5pm and remained there until 9am the next morning. But with sunrise out there in Mauritania (Nouakchott) currently at 07.37am and sunset at 18.58pm, his 9-5 routine would suggest that Bynack was always early to bed and always enjoyed a long-lie too, and was out & about in between times. Whilst much wildlife do become creatures of habit, that, I’m afraid, is unlikely.

But hang on in there everybody, it is just possible, that like Nethy and Mallachie before him, maybe Bynack is fine after all, but that his tag has dropped off, and continues to transmit from the same location. It’s certainly possible. There is a chance of a harness malfunction, but we cannot be sure that there haven’t been many over the years so the chances are slim, but there is nevertheless a chance, and it is all we can hope for, for now, until such time as these birds, currently logged as missing in action, presumed dead, surprise us all and are spotted back here in UK or elsewhere, identifiable from colour leg rings. Here’s hoping.

I’m sorry to have to bring you this bad news. We are as completely gutted as we know you will be too. In a week when the Osprey Team 2012 were appointed, with so much passion, enthusiasm and optimism from the candidates interviewed, and with the new season looming large, it all seemed to be going so well, and then this happens. Both Bynack and sister Tore managed to survive the hazards and rigours of their first migration, and having done so, though not by any means invincible of course, you kinda feel and hope that with that most difficult bit of their lives successfully completed, that they’ll fair well. Not to be, sigh.

It’ll be some consolation to you I’m sure, to know that at least both Tore and Rothes appear fine.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:34 pm 

KITTEN :thud :thud

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:56 pm 

I'm just devastated everything seemed so good for once I sure hope that it could possibly be the transmitter harness fell off but I'm not going to hold my breath not like Nethy & Dershar I have to harden myself or I'll never be able to watch the nests anymore. Does that make any sense at all?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:35 pm 

Kitten, I'll PM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:57 am 

[b]Loch Garten osprey diary

Topsy Turvey Weather.....and mixed tag news.

16 Feb 2012 11:32 AM

And talking of our osprey both Rothes and Tore are in the same spots as last week, Tore west of Quedanga in Guinea Bissau and Rothes on the Ilha de Unhocomozinho. I download the data with great trepidation hoping to see some movement from Rothes, the data is still intermittent from her tracker, but hopefully there will be enough information coming through to know when she is on the move.

I will pass you over to Richard for some news ………….

Julie Q

Last week I managed to make contact with some people in Mauritania and ask if they might be able to go and look for Bynack. Brilliantly, they said yes and we are very appreciative of their efforts to collaborate with us in this way. Last Friday two people set off from the capital, Nouakchott, heading south for 200km to Bynack’s last known location. I have just heard back from Mauritania as follows.

The search team eventually reached the area after having to battle their way through coastal mangroves to the last known co-ordinates for Bynack, to begin their search. Alas, however they found neither Bynack nor his tag. Their search though was difficult, judging from a habitat picture they send me, showing the area to be of thick, tall, impenetrable tamarisk scrub.

Though they didn’t find anything, I feel that this is potentially encouraging news. If Bynack was dead, you would think that his corpse, say hanging in a bush or tree, would be relatively easily spotted. Similarly, you would think that signs of him, feathers, wings, bones, from having been scavenged perhaps, would also be readily found on the ground. The tag though, being little more than the size of a matchbox, would be quite hard to locate, especially in those thick tamarisk bushes. If you’ve a thick hedge or tree in your garden, imagine how tricky it would be to spot a matchbox hanging in that hedge or that tree? The tags are quite cryptic in colour too, being brown & black and I think could be easily overlooked.

I'm sure you'll join me in thanking our new-found friend’s in Mauritania for their valiant efforts on our behalf, and though their search proved fruitless, I think we can take some heart from their endeavours. It could just be that our boy Bynack is in fact fine & dandy, but that his tag has fallen off, hangs there in a bush somewhere, merrily transmitting from that location.

There is some more positive news on the tagging project front. We have received a contribution towards this year’s tag costs from Scottish Natural Heritage (SNH). This is brilliant news and takes us closer to achieving our tag costs target, see - Make a donation for 2012’s satellite tags - opposite. As you will see, the Blue Peter-style church roof % barometer (for those of you of a certain age!), has increased significantly - thanks, you guys at SNH, this support is very much appreciated. With our target realistically in reach now, if there’s anyone out there who’s yet to chip-in, and is able too, then please do. Many thanks to all who have and who now might.
[click] [/b]
http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/places ... -news.aspx[/click]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:17 am 

Loch Garten osprey diary
Just a quickie....

Julie Quirie
7 Mar 2012 7:50 AM

Latest news on Rothes and Tore

Tore had a overnight stay back on the Casamance River near Yatacounda during the week and then returned to her recent haunt W of Quedanga.

Rothes's data shows her moving to the NW of the neighbouring island of Ilha de Unhocomo. The last data we have is for the 3rd - very tantalising! Could she be heading off?

Kaz and Alan - I too noticed that GE hasn't updated the latest points we are looking into this, but in the meantime here are the latest points recorded for Rothes on the 3rd March at 17.00

11.30833 -16.46350

And Tore on 5th March at 09.00

12.12167 -15.89767

Julie Q

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:37 am 

Kitten :valscratch:

Satellite tracking, not for the impatient or weak hearted...just for the birds.. :girlluv:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:29 am 

Osprey in 'record-breaking' flight :hapdance:
Alba has made the fastest migration of any tagged osprey in Europe,
according to park rangers (RSPB/PA)

A three-month-old osprey has made a record-breaking 3,000-mile migration flight, park rangers believe.

Alba, who hatched on May 18 at the RSPB centre in Loch Garten in the Highlands, has taken two weeks to fly from her nest to a warmer site near Senegal in west Africa.

Rangers at the reserve in the Cairngorms have been tracking her progress online via a satellite tag. They believe she has made the fastest migration of any tagged osprey in Europe.

Richard Thaxton, site manager at Loch Garten said: "It is astonishing that in just a fortnight, Alba has travelled from Loch Garten in Strathspey to southern Mauritania close to the border with Senegal.

"Other tagged birds have taken months to do this. It is all the more remarkable when you think that this is her first migration, with sea crossings to contend with and all sorts of weather. It's good to know she has arrived there safely."

Rangers joked that Alba may be following in the slip-stream of her experienced migrant mother, EJ, or even hanging on to her tail feathers.

The young bird is not expected to return to Scotland until she becomes an adult in 2015, Mr Thaxton added. Ospreys migrate yearly once they become adults in order to breed.

Alba and her sister, Caledonia, who were both named by local primary school children, were fitted with satellite tags when they left Scotland on August 19 and online audiences have been able to follow their journey. Caledonia seems to be taking a more leisurely route and is currently crossing Spain.

Ospreys became extinct in Scotland in 1916, the RSPB said, but a pair nested at Loch Garten in 1952, and since then birds have arrived every year to breed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:25 pm 
Global Moderator

Image and Image again!!

Thanks for the link/news Kitten!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:11 pm 

Beth wrote:
Image and Image again!!

Thanks for the link/news Kitten!!

KITTEN....ditto...amazing...thanks :girlluv:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:15 am 
Site Admin

That really is amazing!!! thanks, KF!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:47 pm 

Quote:
Rachel Gill - Dyfi Osprey Project
Updated comparison as promised: it looks like Ceulan is still chasing Alba.
This time I've added the Rutland adult, 09(98) (mauve), who is following a similar route, but rather further east.
Does he know something the youngsters don't? Last point only given for each day.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... permPage=1

Desparately seeking Alba in Senegal? ...forza Ceulan!
Quote:
Alba seems to have found a place to settle in Senegal for the moment. She has roosted in the same spot over the nights of 6/7 September. It is located on the coast opposite an island between two large river estuaries S of Djifere and N of the Delta du Saloum National Park. A likely good fishing area. She has explored the area travelling no more than 2.5 km from her roosting spot.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/places ... r-now.aspx

Profile E-mail