Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sanibel Island~2012
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:51 pm 
Site Admin

I was so hoping I wasn't watching the chick. . .so sad. . .I hate to say it, but could there be something horribly wrong with it? We've watched eagle and falcon moms pull chicks back into the nest. Heck, I remember watching one of the Netherland moms keep hers from falling out of the box. . and scout did it several times with a couple of hers.... I don't see why this osprey mom wouldn't do the same. Not good. . .not good at all. ..

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:56 pm 

I've never seen one purposely discard a chick from a nest bowl. . . unless it was already dead. However it got over there she obviously has no idea how to get it back in.

I remember last year when one of the Decorah chicks grabbed onto the adults mouth and got tossed to the side. Everyone had a heart attack! And I think it had to make it's way back on its own. :cryinggirl: I've turned it off.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:21 am 

skygirlblue wrote:
:girlsad3: :girlsad3: :girlsad3:

I'm sorry, but it is way too early in the season for there to already be a potential tragedy. The nest is too difficult to get to or just a hands off mentality?

They didn't use the excuse, "to difficult to get to", "hands off mentality" ??? not going there. The reason/excuse for no intervention, they put on the back of Audubon.

I was told Audubon had been called in, and advised no intervention, reason...the chick had likely been removed from the nest bowl by an adult....I'll, FMI, contact Florida Audubon to get the Sanibel Island, FL contacts...

The bottom line...this chick was very strong, struggled 2/6/12 , 1:00 pm to after dark (my observations/recordings), then how many hours before? All was well 2/5/12 , Kitten posted her 2/5 video :girlluv: I also have a video from 2/5/12 pm, showing all well.

This nestling can't/couldn't thermoregulate, was without food, and brooding for (at dark ) 6++? hours. A very strong nestling, to survive that long without a feeding (aka fluids), and brooding. Also, no obvious fish shortage to indicate a reason for nest reduction, note the big fish tail in front the female's beak (pic SGB 8:38 pm), unusual to have a fish left on a nest, the male would typically remove any uneaten fish. As I've said, this is apparently a non migratory pair, very important to observe. I have this nest recorded since Kitten reported the cam on line.

No intervention makes no sense, so sad, very disturbing. Over for the nestling...but far from over.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:46 am 

:tissue: Jazzel I have alot of video from the day since you posted about this and you can see how active it was so if you need it let me know I'm not going to do anything with it it is to sad to watch

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:14 am 

kittenface wrote:
:tissue: Jazzel I have alot of video from the day since you posted about this and you can see how active it was so if you need it let me know I'm not going to do anything with it it is to sad to watch

Kitten :rainbow :girlluv: I recorded..as I watched...you don't need to save, or watch again...but just in case my computer dies...save your recordings for 24 hrs. a back up :flirty:

2/6/12 was a hard day, I understand. But, from what we learn today, tomorrow may be a little better :smilehat:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:55 pm 
Site Admin

posted on the cam page:

"To all of the loyal followers of Ocean’s Reach Osprey Cam:....You may have noticed that 1 of the 3 chicks has been pushed to the side of the nest today. We have been monitoring it all day and contacted Mark Westall, renowned osprey expert this afternoon with our concern for the baby. He said the adults may have detected a problem with that particular chick and pushed it aside in order to give their full attention to the others. Unfortunately, Nature sometimes seems to deal harshly with the least fit, but perhaps it is necessary to insure the survival of the species. It should be noted that although every year 3 to 4 eggs have been laid in this nest, we have never had more than two reach maturity." . . . OR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:11 am 

Yeah, yeah, yeah ... blah, blah, blah ...... excuses. I sent them and Florida Audubon an email to let them know what I think. :furious:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:21 pm 
Site Admin

:thankyou

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:33 pm 

Well I went to look in the day before yesterday and didn't get a chance to see the chicks but a glimpe of a head under the parent then went yesterday and the cam is down the said it would be back up but now it sounds like it won't be back at all.
Makes me wonder what happened I don't think there was any bad weather and it was working fine the other night.
I guess I'm always thinking the worse now

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:46 pm 

Forgot all about this nest! How sad about third chick. Visited site this am. Evidently problems with cam were never resolved. There is a photo and update on the site.
Photo of young osprey from oceansreach.com.
Caption under photo: It did not take long for the young ospreys to mature to full size. We are waiting now for the first solo flight!

From Andy (dated April 6, 2012):
... just want everyone to know that the young are now flying and exploring the neighborhood.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:16 am 

Cam is on ... and this is the news ...... :) Fingers crossed!

“Life is for the birds” again at Ocean’s Reach! Our brand new osprey-cam is up and active, giving you a bird’s eye view of our favorite feathered friends as they once again make their home here on Sanibel Island.

Osprey mate for life, and for the past five years we have had a pair return to the same spot at our resort. Each year, osprey chicks have hatched, fledged and flown away, much to the delight of resort guests, especially last year when we first mounted a special camera to capture their activity.

Unfortunately, we did not realize that our initial camera was of inferior quality until it went down last winter, right before the latest set of chicks were set to spread their wings. Determined not to be disappointed again, we have spent the months since researching better technology, and are pleased to announce that our new IP webcam, utilizing a Cat 6 line, offers a much stronger feed with much improved resolution. A fancy way of saying that once our osprey family returns, we’ll have a very clear picture of what they’ll be up to!

Osprey are among our most remarkable wildlife on Sanibel. There are reportedly more than 100 nests on the island, with birds attracted to the tallest structures around, including the 35-foot tall nesting area we built for them 5 years ago on our property.

Our male osprey arrived a few weeks ago, but is still waiting for his female to join him. Once together, mating should begin – yes, the camera will capture that action, too – so parents should provide PG-rated supervision when needed until the eggs are safely nesting by late December. If all goes well, chicks should hatch mid February. Mother Nature typically dictates that only two chicks will thrive in each nest, and it’s sure to be enjoyable watching them grow.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:52 am 

Thanks Patti for the heads up I don't know if I'll try watching Osprey this year again, Its still hard to watch

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:30 am 
Site Admin

So a new cam. . thanks for the heads up, Patti. .. I'll have to check it out!!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:11 pm 
Global Moderator

Sorry I forgot to post...the past few days.
I just checked-a adult on the nest!

Eating a fish-waited some time to eat (Maybe he/she was looking for mate)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:52 pm 
Site Admin

:sum10: :sum9: :sum10:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:58 am 

Thank you Beth!!! I haven't had time to keep checking in!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:57 pm 
Global Moderator

The nestcam (computer) is having troubles.
The view is pointed towards the ground (afternoon view 12/5)...
They will fix the view when the computer nestcam
has been cleaned and returned (had a virus)
Talked with John at Ocean's Reach Resort today and he thinks
something might have happened to the female.
Male has been at the nestsite for over a month.

12/2

12/5 (early morning)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:34 pm 

Hmmm ... so no female yet. :( I was wondering as I watched this morning. Adult came in with a fish and waited and waited.... finally ate it himself.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:28 am 

This nest is interesting because the Ospreys are very likely non-migratory, their behavior would be very different from Ospreys that migrate thousands of miles every year, difficult to compare.

I watched the nest this afternoon, 5:00 to 5:30 pm. One Osprey on the nest, preening, didn't appear distressed, no mantling, didn't move from the initial position on the nest, flew off at 5:30.

Migratory males returning to their nest, typically, start bringing in sticks while waiting for the female...this nest has no new sticks :think

Beth's pics 12/1 looks female, also same behavior PattiO posted today.

Beth's pics 12/2 and 12/5 has the Osprey in the same position on the nest, as I observed today.

I'll be observing...hope the cam site will document their nest :gaaaaah:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:35 am 
Global Moderator

Thanks for your thoughts Jazzel!!
I have been watching and wasn't sure why he wasn't
working on the nest.

Yesterday...

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next