Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 625 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: HARRISBURG ~ SEPTEMBER 2010, PART 2
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:29 pm 

Thanks for the pictures George. How nice to be able to have such great pictures in your collection.
My pictures from my one visit there are mostly blurry, out of focus, where you can just barely see the falcon, forget about being able to tell which is which, still, I treasure them. Some of my shots were just blue sky, where I completely missed the falcon. :lol: Having a great talent and good equipment makes all the difference. :-) Thanks for sharing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:47 pm 

ljames wrote:
Thanks for the pictures George. How nice to be able to have such great pictures in your collection.
. Some of my shots were just blue sky, where I completely missed the falcon. :lol: .

Well mr blue sky only is a problem for alot of us including me. The reason for that is when one is using a super long telephoto lens, the field of view of the lens is rather narrow. In the case of my 500mm i think you have an angle of view of maybe 5 degrees making it very hard to follow a super fast flying falcon it becomes quite a challange and quite frustrating too from my experiences.

However, i have noticed that my technique for capturing shots improves with each attempt and i think shots ive gotten of the happy falcon family has improved with each sucessive trip out there to capture the images. I think others who look back at thier first attempts at shots can see the difference with each successive trip to the RCOB

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:50 pm 
Global Moderator

STUNNING photos George! :loveshow:

That was a great story of your falcon encounter KDSNK9S.

pearl1 :smile:

Appreciate the info about nest sites normangelo. That information is supported by Arthur C Bent's observations (found an old old copy of his book at Powell's in Portland that I'm reading)
and
thanks Greg. Appreciate more info on the subspecies.

Thanks everyone!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:24 pm 

Back from downtown. While driving across the State Street Bridge, I could see a falcon on the point. Parked on Aberdeen right underneath there, looked up, and was pretty sure it was NG, so went up on the roof of the 5th Street Garage. Yes, there was NG above my head. Her bib really is buffy/rosy colored. Looked over at the steeple, and saw Little Dad over on the very top, so headed over to the Chestnut Street Garage roof. Little Dad was sitting there with his feathers fluffed out over his feet. He obviously saw me and gave me the evil eye while I looked at him. How I wish he could talk. NG was still on the point, once in a while preening and cleaning her talons. Little Dad took off after my watching him 15 minutes or so, headed down Market Street, but returned very quickly to the shield and then hopped into the scrape, where of course I couldn't see him. After 10 minutes or so, he hopped up on the shield, and he and NG appeared to be having a staredown. This would be the pictures posted by ljames and catwoman. Somewhere around 7:00, NG flew down Aberdeen, but returned very quickly to the point. When she took off, a bunch of feathers flew off the point, and I wondered if she had been eating there. Couldn't hear her, but it looked like she was vocalizing, for I could see her beak going. She stayed there about 10 more minutes, and then took off down Aberdeen again, and this time Little Dad followed her. Never did see her return, but about 5 or 10 minutes later, Little Dad returned to the point, and it looked like he was picking at leftovers. He picked up whatever it was and flew to the roof of the U Building with it, picked at it more, and then returned to the point. When I left around 7:30, Little Dad was still on the point. It is VERY hard to look at some of these places thinking that Mom should be there. Time will heal this hurt, but it is nature, and very difficult.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:21 pm 

Thanks Jane for the nice report. Glad that you saw Little Dad and NG. I've never realized that she sat on the point, but of course she does, we just can't see it. How wonderful to have your eyes to see for us. I saw Little Dad looking that way and now I know why. I can just see him going to pick up the leftovers, he's really good at making sure nothing is wasted.

I know how difficult it is for you to go there, or think I do. I hope in time, everybody will heal and just smile when we think of Mom, but right now it's hard to get past the hurt and unfairness of it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:41 pm 
Global Moderator

THANKS FOR YOUR REPORT JANE! GREAT YOU GOT TO SEE BOTH. I'VE NEVER SEEN NG SIT ON THE POINT EVER. SHE DOES THE STICK AND NEST BOX, BUT SHE ALWAYS EATS ON THE ROOF OF THE BLDG. SO THIS MUST BE THAT SHE'S GETTING EVEN MORE COMFORTABLE THAN BEFORE. ANOTHER THING IS THAT LIL DAD IS NEVER ON THE STEEPLE ANYMORE SINCE MOM'S BEEN GONE. SO THIS IS A GOOD SIGN THAT HE IS GETTING MORE COMFORTABLE WITH THE SITUATION TOO. MAYBE IT WON'T BE LONG UNTIL BOTH WILL START ROOSTING ON THE LOUVERS AGAIN TOO :-)

LOOKS LIKE SHE LIKES LIL DAD ALOT :-) I HOPE SHE STICKS AROUND NOW AND MAKES LIL DAD VERY HAPPY! IT WILL BE INTERESTING TO SEE IF SHE BOSSES HIM AROUND LIKE MOM DID.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:58 pm 
Global Moderator

What a touching and emotional report, Jane. You are so courageous for going downtown and reporting on Lil Dad and the new girl. Thank you for that and hugs to you. I know it was hard.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:17 pm 

we will see the new pair roosting on the louvers as soon as the temperature drops, along with the snow! NG will find out how great the louvers are then!!! :playrain:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:29 am 
Global Moderator

SOMEONE ON THE STICK RIGHT NOW. CAN'T TELL WHO IN THE DARK, COULD BE LIL DAD WAITING FOR NG OR IT COULD BE HER SINCE SHE USUALLY COMES IN AROUND 6:30AM.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:01 am 
Global Moderator

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:37 am 

Thanks for your report, Jane! Glad you got to see both of them!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:10 am 

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:19 am 

Well the next couple of shots didn't see anybody on the stick or in the box. What are they up to? :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:24 am 

Found him.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:39 am 

Thank you so much, Jane for going downtown to look for NG and Lil Dad - what a great report it was too!! You are really good at spotting the falcons, watching them fly around and giving a detail description of where they go and what they are doing. You and Reenie are both amazing in your falcon watching skills!! I am so very sorry for the loss of Mom; I still hold out that you may find her one day. Big hugs for you and Reenie and everyone who watch this ledge.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:51 pm 

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:04 pm 

Lil Dad atop the shield at 3pm

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:06 pm 

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:04 pm 

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:11 pm 

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 625 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 32  Next