Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 625 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: HARRISBURG ~ SEPTEMBER 2010, PART 2
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:59 pm 
Global Moderator

I WOULD SAY THAT IS NG. SHE SITS WAY BACK AGAINST THE BLDG LIKE THAT. LIL DAD USED TO SIT ON THE CAM MORE THAN THE BRACKET THAT HOLDS THE CAM. ALSO, YOU CAN BARELY SEE IN THERE, BUT I'M SURE I SEE TWO LEGS IN THE NESTBOX, PROBABLY LIL DAD AGAIN.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:05 pm 

oops, nobody on the cam now. I wasn't sure if there was somebody in the scrape or not. Kinda dark in there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:41 pm 

ljames , look real close at the left side of the opening. Lil Dad is there. Yes WWC, it was me that mentioned her sweetness. Her expression is so different and "sweet".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:42 pm 

Now he's in the scrape.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:55 pm 

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:05 pm 

I agree that it was NG on the cam picture posted earlier, sorry can't remember who posted it. I think she has the look of sorrow on her face.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:38 pm 
Global Moderator

LIL DAD'S ON THE STICK.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:43 pm 

Jane wrote:
I agree that it was NG on the cam picture posted earlier, sorry can't remember who posted it. I think she has the look of sorrow on her face.

That's it! Much better description than what I was trying to convey. I just couldn't put it into words, but that describes it much better than the word "tentative" which I used.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:51 pm 
Global Moderator

LIL DAD WAS ON THE STEEPLE WHEN I LEFT A FEW MINS AGO.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:21 pm 

Is this NG?

Totally looks like a juvie to me. :roll:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:29 pm 

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:06 pm 
Global Moderator

WELL, I SURE HOPE THAT WAS NG AFTER WHAT I SAW THIS AFTERNOON. WAS OUTSIDE ON BREAK AND ALL THE SUDDEN HEARD NG SCREAMING, ME AND ANOTHER GIRL RAN OUT TO THE SIDEWALK TO FIND, WHAT WE THOUGHT WAS LIL DAD, ATTACKING HER! WE WERE FRANTIC, BUT THEN I THOUGHT THE LITTLE ONE WAS A HAWK, BUT THE OTHER GIRL SAID NO, IT WAS LIL DAD. I RAN IN AND GOT ONE OF THE PEOPLE WHO ORGANIZE THE FALCON WATCHES AND SUCH AND SHE CAME OUT WITH BINS AND HEADED DOWN THE STREET, MY BREAK WAS OVER. THANK GOD, SHE WROTE BACK AND TOLD ME THAT SOMEONE IN THE UNIV BLDG SAW THIS FIGHT TOO AND IT WAS A SHARP SHINNED OR COOPERS HAWK, NOT LIL DAD! I'M SURE THEY HAD A REALLY CLOSE LOOK AT BOTH SINCE THEY WERE FLYING IN BETWEEN 333 AND THE UNIV ALOT OF THE TIME IT WAS GOING ON. I FELT SO STUPID TO THINK LIL DAD WOULD DO THAT, BUT I GUESS YOU NEVER KNOW AND EVERYONE WAS SAYING IT WAS LIL DAD, EVEN PEOPLE COMING UP THE STREET FROM THE DIRECTION THEY FLEW.

IT WAS REALLY HORRIBLE TO WATCH, I EVEN SAW A COUPLE FEATHERS FLY WHEN THE HAWK HIT NG. IT WAS SO FAST FLYING AND KEPT HITTING NG. SHE WAS REALLY LOUD AND SQUAWKING. I WAS SHAKING LIKE A LEAF, I'M SO GLAD TO SEE THAT IT DID LOOK LIKE HER ON THE STICK A WHILE AGO. WE JUST CAN'T HAVE ANYMORE TRAGEDY HERE IN HARRISBURG!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:44 pm 
Global Moderator

Oh my goodness. :o Reenie, I can imagine your terror at watching that fight. Glad it wasn't Lil Dad, but still awful to hear that NG was attacked. Hope she is okay.

About her look of sorrow, maybe she has lost her mate, too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:48 pm 

Thanks for sharing that with us, Reenie. How horrible it must have been for you to witness this attack! Glad NG appears to be OK. Wonder if that hawk could have attacked Mom, too... :-(

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:02 pm 

hopefullly the hawk was only enroute to points south as i think the hawk migration is underway and they should be going thru and over hawk mountain in nearby berks county. Glad NG held her ground just like mom likely has in the past when confronted by unwanted guests

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:13 pm 

OMG, just read you post Reenie. Poor NG having to defend her ledge so soon against an intruder. Mean hawk!!! I know it must have been terrible to watch. Hope things are calm tomorrow. You just never know catwoman, it could have easily been something other that a falcon (NG) that battled with Mom. :-(

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:21 pm 

Reenie, thanks for filling in the details of the fight. Don called me from his break at work to tell me that "my falcon" was making an awful racket and that he just saw her chasing a "small white bird" from Strawberry Square over the roof of the U, screaming all the way. But he couldn't tell me what kind of bird or if NG reappeared or anything. I was on my way to the first of a series of appointments and meetings, and I've been sweating bullets about it ever since. Just got home and the first thing I did was check to see what news was here on the forum. What a relief to hear that NG was apparently ok afterwards. You are right; we do NOT need any more drama here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:26 pm 

Looks as though things are anything but calm and settled here at our beloved ledge. Another fight already. I hope NG is alright. It is the time for hawks and other raptors to travel through the state as George stated already. I can imagine how you must have felt, Reenie, to think that Lil Dad was attacking his new mate. I can imagine you wanting to carry bins around with you for the next couple of weeks just to observe what's going on!

Let's hope that things settle soon for our new couple.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:36 pm 

Oh, and George, we have our own migration corridor that passes within a stone's throw of the RCSOB, right down the Susquehanna River. There are hawks galore passing through nearby just now, not to mention plenty of falcons. If there had to be a changing of the guard, it is probably a good thing it happened early enough in the migration that NG and Lil Dad have established some sort of bond before the migration really gets going. If the nest ledge doesn't seem vulnerable to takeover, it should be less likely to face a challenge.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:12 pm 

Good grief Reenie, how cool to see such a fracas, even if it was frightening! You made a very good report, I could almost picture what was happening. You're right, we don't need any bad happenings, but Nature being what it is, I suppose we can expect something else before migration is over with. I'm glad NG held her own. I wish we could all have heard her screaming so we could learn her voice. That might be a good spot to photograph those migrants or perhaps have a "hawk watch." Our birds may have a busy time for a while! I'm glad NG feels so strongly about "her" nest ledge!

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 625 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 32  Next