Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 490 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: JERSEY CITY FALCONS - 2011
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:34 am 
Global Moderator

ImageImage

Wonderful Mike-thanks for the pic!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:27 pm 

:clapegg: Great

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:08 pm 

Thought it would be Tuesday. We are off to an early falcon season here in the metro NYC area.
:smile:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:55 pm 

Here’s a better pic from late this afternoon:

I went back downtown to the corner of Columbus & Hudson from roughly 9:30 a.m. to noon. Less flying action this time, but I suspect that had something to do with the “new arrival!” :egg9: I did see both adults: 1st Dad soaring around the southeast corner of 101 Hudson around 9:50 a.m., and shortly after 10 a.m. Mom (who had been sitting at the front of the box according to a quick check of the cam still image) flew off, gliding towards the southwest. Sometime around 10:45 a.m. one of the adults arrived at the very top of 101 Hudson with a partial pigeon meal (or possibly a starling), then flew off in a northerly direction, and I somehow lost it in the deep blue sky (beautiful color, but not so good for keeping track of high-flying raptors!). A few minutes after that, someone came off 101 and flew directly overhead, either carrying leftovers or it was a trick of light and shadow. I saw a couple of short flights to and from 101, but overall, a more laid-back morning for the pair.

Here are 2 pics. The first is Dad soaring by 101. The 2nd is that fly-over I mentioned above. Tough for me to tell if it’s carrying something or it’s that light/shadow trick. I do think this was Mom though, the wings look broader than Dad’s (something I noticed in last year’s pics).

These were taken on a relative’s Canon Rebel T2i and a rented Sigma 150-500mm super-duper lens. I’ve never used a lens bigger then 300mm, so it was quite an experience wielding that monster! For it’s size though, it’s surprisingly light-weight (I had it draped on my shoulder most of the day, and never felt discomfort). The pics are still cropped quite a bit (by almost 75%), and I had to add a little sharpness, light, & saturation. Still, it’s pretty close to the quality I’m hoping to get this year during fledge-watch!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:39 pm 

Just caught a brief glimpse of the 2nd egg at 5:33 p.m.!!!! :danceegg: Hoping to get a still image the next time Dad (I think) gets up. Anyone know how to grab a still image from the actual live cam? I've seen those posted here before but don't know how to do it. Thanks!

EDIT: It was Mom that was on the eggs earlier, I just saw them do a changing of the guard, and now Dad is on the eggs :thumbegg:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:51 pm 

Yippee!! You need grab me or capture. There are free screen capture programs. Google that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:52 pm 

Bonnie wrote:
Yippee!! You need grab me or capture. There are free screen capture programs. Google that.

Ok thanks!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:01 pm 
Global Moderator

Here is what SgB and I use Mike. I really like it...

http://www.pixelmetrics.com/CapWizPro/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:49 pm 

Beth wrote:
Here is what SgB and I use Mike. I really like it...

http://www.pixelmetrics.com/CapWizPro/

Thanks Beth!

From the still image page :egg119:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:19 am 

Well, congratulations to this awesome pair (and Mike and Bonnie) :girlluv: :girlluv: Mike, you upgraded again!! The shots are fantastic. You need to stop letting Bonnie influence you...before you buy that expensive lens!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:19 pm 

obxbarb wrote:
Well, congratulations to this awesome pair (and Mike and Bonnie) :girlluv: :girlluv: Mike, you upgraded again!! The shots are fantastic. You need to stop letting Bonnie influence you...before you buy that expensive lens!

Thanks Barb! I have a few people that have been influencing me with the camera gear, it's tough not to have the mind poisoned, lol :egg9: Still want to try a 400mm f/5.6 prime + 1.4x TC combo, think that might be "it."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:40 pm 

Mike, NO on the 400 prime f5.6. Listen to a few more people.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:31 am 

These were taken on a relative’s Canon Rebel T2i and a rented Sigma 150-500mm super-duper lens. I’ve never used a lens bigger then 300mm, so it was quite an experience wielding that monster! For it’s size though, it’s surprisingly light-weight (I had it draped on my shoulder most of the day, and never felt discomfort). The pics are still cropped quite a bit (by almost 75%), and I had to add a little sharpness, light, & saturation. Still, it’s pretty close to the quality I’m hoping to get this year during fledge-watch![/quote]

The sigma is a great lens and my preferred weapon of choice for raptor images! I wanted the extra focal length for hawks,eagles and falcons and it does the job very well. I gagged when i saw the prices for both a canon and nikon oem lens of that length and for $995 it works well.

The lens can be annoying to lug around with you when out in the field but ...if you dont have it you end up having that "shot of a lifetime" fly on by you.

I have to get used to using it on my manfrotto pod with the gimbal head but it does work well for me hand held with the OS/VR/IS function of the lens :thumbegg:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:36 am 

Bonnie wrote:
Mike, NO on the 400 prime f5.6. Listen to a few more people.

If i were still shooting more film than digital id be using my only Leica SLR body the R4mot with my 800mm apo telyt R 5.6. While i got the lens almost 25 years ago, it would be very hard to replace it now even after leica stopped making r mount lenses. Last price i saw on the sucker when they were still being made was over $22,000 and its not a lens i want to walk around with or stash in a car. Besides , with digital, at least i can see on site if i missed the shot or fowled (pun intended) the exposure up :lol:

Am i just being too paranoid? nah its not me its all those others

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:57 pm 

LeicaEagles wrote:

The sigma is a great lens and my preferred weapon of choice for raptor images! I wanted the extra focal length for hawks,eagles and falcons and it does the job very well. I gagged when i saw the prices for both a canon and nikon oem lens of that length and for $995 it works well.

The lens can be annoying to lug around with you when out in the field but ...if you dont have it you end up having that "shot of a lifetime" fly on by you.

I have to get used to using it on my manfrotto pod with the gimbal head but it does work well for me hand held with the OS/VR/IS function of the lens :thumbegg:

Hey George!

Yes it would definately take me some getting used-to having it in the field, it's a monsta! I was a little daring with the OS. The first pic above was actually with OS turned off, the 2nd one was with it turned on. Did the same for the corner roof of 101 Hudson where the nest box/scrape is. They look pretty similar, but once I zoomed in past a certain point, the differences in clarity showed up fast! I'll leave it on going forward :egg9:

Good point about the price too. For a lens it's size and reach, it's pretty reasonable. Easy for me to get greedy too and hope they make a bigger one, like 250-600mm :egg14:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:44 am 

Whichever adult is on the eggs currently just shifted position, and I caught a glimpse of 3 eggs!! :danceegg: :eggwave: Will try to grab a pic during the next changing of the guard (the live cam was down late yesterday and this morning, but the last still images yesterday evening still showed 2 eggs. So I'm guessing #3 arrived either during the night or earlier this morning before the live cam was fixed).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:58 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the heads up, Mike....here's a pic of the 3 eggs...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:42 pm 

Dad brought Mom a little snack around 3:13 p.m., then settled on the eggs for a bit (took him a few minutes to get them all organized underneath him, but he got it :egg6: ). Mom's finished with her snack and is back on the eggs at 3:41 p.m.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:24 pm 
Global Moderator

Congratulations on egg #3! :3eggs:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:32 pm 

Congrats to the JC pair :3eggs:

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 490 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 25  Next