Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 490 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: JERSEY CITY FALCONS - 2011
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:51 pm 

Watching another feed already. So hard to tell, but I think that I can see the little one has it's mouth open so it's head must be up. I can see the other two clearly eating, and now they are leaning on each other full, but Mama is still feeding so maybe the little one is getting something. It is in front of the chicks and the parent and everybody is blocking it from view.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:54 pm 

I watched an earlier feeding and all seemed to partake. I think we might still have the youngest among the group. But it's hard to tell. Needless to say, everyone is watching very closely because we are all on high alert. But there is nothing we can do. I think Kathy Clark will be medicating on Friday. Then she will assess the situation.

But... my gut is that all are fine.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:56 pm 

Thanks Bonnie. It seems to be huddled up with the other two right now, so that's good.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:00 pm 

Both parents there for a minute to switch back. Never could get a really good look at baby.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:00 pm 

ljames, that is what I thought earlier...that the little one was stuck and couldn't get its head up. But Ahtena was right there stuffing food at him. A lot of it dropped but he seemed to get quite a bit. Bonnie's explanation sounds pretty plausible if he is only a few days old and two days younger than the others...let us hope.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:39 pm 

I sure wish they had a zoom on this cam. I watched today, and its really hard to tell.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:10 am 

Well, just watched the nestbox in the background for 35 minutes and the whole time Athena was brooding -- couldn't see anything, no meal. At the beginning though she seemed to be calling to Six, or in any case vocalizing. It's cold so (53 or so) so it good she's on the chicks.

Off to walk dogs etc.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:18 am 
Site Admin

I still haven't caught a feed...2 of the chicks are very active....the little one appears to be holding its on, but gets squished by the other two...

I think this is Six with the kids...He had food on his beak when he came in...so, I kept thinking breakfast was coming...but it hasn't as of yet...

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:00 pm 

I am watching a feeding . Baby is in between the other two and is wiggling and has it's mouth open, but doesn't seem to be able to get up . Parent has tried to feed it lying down, but that's not going well. It looks like the other two are sitting on it, very distressing.

OMG it got it's head up for one bite. Could it's legs be broken?? I don't know, maybe the other two are so much bigger than it is, that when they lean on it, it just can't get up. Parent is blocking the view, but I can see it head bobbing I think, but it is not getting up that I can tell.

It's taking a long time to feed, so I'm hoping that's to get food into it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:08 pm 

ljames I watched that one too. At first all the food went to the two bigger ones. The little one was active, and struggling, so it has quite a bit of energy, but it simply couldn't get itself oriented to get up and positioned to get anything. Seven minutes into the feed it definitely got a bite. Then a lot more to the two bigger ones, and then Athena positioned herself so it was impossible for me to tell who was getting fed.

I managed to capture a couple of photos which I will post.

Yesterday the theory I was working on was that this small one was barely four days old and that was why it couldn't push its way through the other two. But after watching this, it does seem there is something seriously wrong with it not being able to get its head up readily.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:14 pm 

I can't figure it out, but it is trying so hard, it seems.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:16 pm 

Here is the first one. You can see Athena and one of the large eyasses clearly. The little one is pancaked in the middle.

Here the problem is clear. The little one can't get its head up. It had already squirmed its way toward Athena and was trying hard to get something, but just could not manage.

And finally at the end of the feed -- while the two big ones did well, it does not appear that the little one had much.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:36 pm 

You know something I noticed at the end, the bigger ones kinda drifted off to sleep. The small one was down too, of course, but it's body was moving rapidly as though breathing hard. This went on until the parent covered them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:40 pm 
Site Admin

I'm just checking back in here...and this is somewhat distressing. Best case scenario is the youngest isn't requiring as much food and is getting enough and we just don't see it...the worse case could be what happened at James River...(the youngest starved to death...) I certainly pray that does not happen here..

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:41 pm 

We just have to be patient. NJF&W is monitoring the situation, too. Keep fingers crossed still. People were worried about Water St, too. Not sure when Kathy Clark will get up there. Thought it would be today some time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:05 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Bonnie...I'm glad they're watching...we do have to be patient...and document what we see...

What's going on at Water ST. I thought they were just banded...

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:15 pm 

Water ST eyases are just fine. Yes, they were banded yesterday. Three boys and a girl, I think. The littlest one was a big concern for a long time. But it seems to be just fine now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:17 pm 

The chick-check is scheduled for tomorrow morning. I sent an email earlier to F&W giving the heads-up about the potential problem with the small chick, so it will surely get a closer look. :sunsmile:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:24 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Bonnie...

...and thanks Mike...sure wish they could do their "chick-check" this afternoon...but, I'm just thrilled they are willing to go up there and check it out...

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:40 pm 

Clark is going up for her annual 1 week old chick check. She medicates against a pigeon born disease. It is not out of the ordinary and not because of potential problems.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 490 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 25  Next