Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 490 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: JERSEY CITY FALCONS - 2011
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:31 pm 

PLEASE BEGIN YOUR 2011 POSTS HERE! :ny16:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: JERSEY CITY FALCONS - 2011
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:57 pm 

Happy New Year!! :ny5:

Here's the NJ DEP Peregrine report from 2010:
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/ensp/pdf/pefa10_report.pdf

For the 2nd year in a row, a JC alumni made the "front page" :ny16:

Here's to another very successful season at 101 Hudson!! :sfcheers:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:20 pm 

Thank you Mike isn't that just on of the most gorgeous birds!!!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:47 pm 

kittenface wrote:

Yup he's a "looker" :wink: He was actually the 4th JC alumni to be spotted at a nest site: the 1st-ever female fledgling from JC has been nesting on a platform in Stone Harbor since 2005 (not far north of Cape May); a female from 2005 has been at a cliff site in New Haven, CT since 2009; and a female from 2003 has been at the Union County courthouse in Elizabeth since 2005 (a few miles southwest of JC). The male discovered this past year was also from 2003 (that clutch had 4 fledges, and was the 2nd clutch laid that year since the 1st one was destroyed in a freak early April snowstorm! Talk about destiny!!).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:25 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for posting the report, Mike...and :ny8:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:25 am 

Thanks for that report, Mike! I love reading these reports. I'm going to copy it to the front of the topic, so we can access it easily!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:50 am 

Thanks for the report Mike. Its so nice to see the 2003 offspring all over. What an amazingly tough year that was for the JC pair, but still successful!

Also great to see you and Bonnie get nice credit for your efforts!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:45 am 

obxbarb wrote:
Thanks for the report Mike. Its so nice to see the 2003 offspring all over. What an amazingly tough year that was for the JC pair, but still successful!

Also great to see you and Bonnie get nice credit for your efforts!

Thanks everyone, and yes Barb, that was a nice surprise at the end of the report :sfthumbs:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:58 am 

mikeg713 wrote:
kittenface wrote:

Yup he's a "looker" :wink: He was actually the 4th JC alumni to be spotted at a nest site: the 1st-ever female fledgling from JC has been nesting on a platform in Stone Harbor since 2005 (not far north of Cape May);

Anyone have an idea as to where in Stone Harbor this nest is located? Reason for my inquiry is that its closer than JC for me and the family has a home in Avalon right on the same island as Stone Harbor. I need a good excuse to go down there and this is the best one yet!

Just a wing up , since this is a barrier island there is alot of migrating birds and also nice marshland in the back bays between Townsend's and Herford inlets so the food supply should be good for him

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:01 pm 

LeicaEagles wrote:
mikeg713 wrote:
kittenface wrote:

Yup he's a "looker" :wink: He was actually the 4th JC alumni to be spotted at a nest site: the 1st-ever female fledgling from JC has been nesting on a platform in Stone Harbor since 2005 (not far north of Cape May);

Anyone have an idea as to where in Stone Harbor this nest is located? Reason for my inquiry is that its closer than JC for me and the family has a home in Avalon right on the same island as Stone Harbor. I need a good excuse to go down there and this is the best one yet!

Just a wing up , since this is a barrier island there is alot of migrating birds and also nice marshland in the back bays between Townsend's and Herford inlets so the food supply should be good for him

Hi George,

Not sure exactly where the nest is, but I do know it's on an old hack platform, and by now might have one of those dog igloo's as the "nest box."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:23 am 

Not sure if this is relevant or not but on the meadowlands blog site there is a great shot of a peregrine taken there and since it is not too far from JC, this was the best location i could fathom to post it. Maybe theyre the offspring of the JC pair??

http://www.meadowblog.net/

edited taken from the blog itself:

"Mike Girone reports:

Hung out on Disposal Rd. for most of the afternoon Frday.
I was greeted upon arrival around 1:40 p.m. by an adult Peregrine Falcon on a nearby electric tower behind the Carillon. It dove off the tower towards the Carillon, apparently trying to get lunch, but I didn't see what exactly it was targeting.

A few minutes later it dove off again, this time heading east over the Teal Pool, and attacked a Sharp-shinned Hawk, diving at it at least 3 times. It repeated the general diving-and-returning to a tower routine 2 more times, gradually moving south along the Saw Mill Creek trail."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:02 pm 

LeicaEagles wrote:
Not sure if this is relevant or not but on the meadowlands blog site there is a great shot of a peregrine taken there and since it is not too far from JC, this was the best location i could fathom to post it. Maybe theyre the offspring of the JC pair??

http://www.meadowblog.net/

edited taken from the blog itself:

"Mike Girone reports:

Hung out on Disposal Rd. for most of the afternoon Frday.
I was greeted upon arrival around 1:40 p.m. by an adult Peregrine Falcon on a nearby electric tower behind the Carillon. It dove off the tower towards the Carillon, apparently trying to get lunch, but I didn't see what exactly it was targeting.

A few minutes later it dove off again, this time heading east over the Teal Pool, and attacked a Sharp-shinned Hawk, diving at it at least 3 times. It repeated the general diving-and-returning to a tower routine 2 more times, gradually moving south along the Saw Mill Creek trail."

Hi George,

Glad you read the meadowlands blog! And glad you like the picture, I'm actually the one who took it! :snowmancarrot:

That Peregrine wasn't banded, so it's not from JC (they've banded the chicks since nesting began there). I do think it could be one of the resident adults from a nearby site by Giants stadium that's been occupied since 2008.

I'm a little surprised none of the JC offspring over all these years has turned up in the Meadowlands. I know the youngsters generally wander south their first winter, but figured at least one or 2 would've spotted this prime hunting habitat to the west.

Here's another pic I took of that Meadowlands Peregrine. This one was pure luck, as it was just coming out of it's dive and moving very fast (the picture on the blog was after it had slowed down and was turning back to the high-tension tower it came from).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:49 am 

Beautiful shots Mike! It looks like you are putting your upgraded camera to good use!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:02 pm 
Global Moderator

Hi Mike :nicetomeet:

Beautiful image- it's always hard for me to take pictures against the sky so I really appreciate how nice these pics are :P

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:26 pm 
Global Moderator

Wow, nice photos and updates Mike-thank you :sfthumbs:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:55 am 

Thanks everyone! :-)

Yea Mick, sky-background shots can be tough! The reflected sunlight off the snow helps bring out those underside details, but can also white-out those details if the settings aren't just right (lost a potentially nice pic of a Rough-legged Hawk that way, the day before I got the Peregrine pics).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:13 pm 
Site Admin

gorgeous!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:17 pm 

Hey everyone! :egg5: Made my first visit of the new season at JC today. I was on the corner of Columbus Ave. and Hudson St. from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. I picked that spot to stay in the shade of Exchange Place (no sun glare to contend with in the scope), but boy did I shiver! The Peregrine action more then made up for it though!

Upon arrival at 10:30 a.m., Mom was at 101 Hudson, perched atop the parapet behind the nest box.. About 8 minutes later, Dad flew up and mated with her for about 6-8 seconds. He then flew over to Exchange Place. Around 11:10 a.m., Mom flew a few blocks north between Hudson & Greene Streets. She returned to the nest box parapet a few minutes later. At 11:31 a.m., the pair mated again, on the same parapet as before. Dad then circled over Montgomery St. and headed west.

At 11:43 a.m., Dad was back, circling around the west and south side of 101 Hudson. While he was behind the building, a juvenile Peregrine appeared out of nowhere, flying west over Montgomery St. about half-way up the north side of 101 Hudson! When Dad came around east side of 101, he spotted the intruder and began chasing it west over Montgomery St. Mom (still atop the nest box parapet) either saw or heard this, and dove off the parapet, joining her mate in chasing away the juvenile falcon. I lost the trio behind the 30 Montgomery St. building.

Mom briefly returned to 101 Hudson around 11:50 a.m., then flew off and glided west over Columbus Ave., then turned to the Northwest and disappeared behind Plaza 4A. She returned to 101 shortly before 12:00 p.m., on a parapet near the middle of the 41st floor ledge (same level as the nest box). Shortly afterward, she stooped off the parapet and dived out over Greene St., behind 30 Montgomery St. It was reminiscent of the stoop I watched her do last June (she came out of it as she passed over me by maybe 40 feet; I was 2 blocks northwest of 101 Hudson that day). This stoop, however, was much steeper, but don’t know if she got what she was after.

Around 12:15 p.m., I spotted Dad perched on the same 41st floor parapet as Mom before her stoop. After a few minutes of preening, he flew to the top of Exchange Place, facing west. He was still there at 12:30 p.m., when Mom was spotted on the 39th floor, perched on the eastern bracket.

Very happy I got to see the pair so active today!! The juvenile Peregrine was a big surprise. I didn’t get a good enough look to see if it was banded (actually I didn’t even know it was a juvenile until I looked at my pics, it all happened so fast). I’ll try to find out when the cam will be turned on, but I imagine it’ll be sometime this week.

Here are a few pics:

Dad after the 1st “canoodle”

Mom after the 1st “canoodle”

The juvenile Peregrine

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:20 pm 
Site Admin

So great to hear from you Mike...and great pics!!! Wonder who that juvie was... :egg16:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:38 pm 

skygirlblue wrote:
So great to hear from you Mike...and great pics!!! Wonder who that juvie was... :egg16:

Thanks SGB! 2 friends I told this to thought maybe it was one of last year's girls trying to sneak back home :egg9: No bands are apparent in the pic, but most of the time last year I didn't see the girls' bands unless I had the scope on them. If it wasn't one of them, it could've been a migrant just passing through (spring raptor migration is underway). :think

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 490 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next