Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 490 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: JERSEY CITY FALCONS - 2011
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:28 pm 

OMG, the little one is sitting up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:31 pm 

I'm not sure that it's actually getting food cause it's turned the wrong way, but it can sit up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:36 pm 

Still, it seemed like more of a struggle than it should be and I'm not sure it got any bites, will be interesting what the experts think is wrong , if anything, tomorrow. I am encouraged that it can actually get up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:14 pm 

ljames wrote:
Still, it seemed like more of a struggle than it should be and I'm not sure it got any bites, will be interesting what the experts think is wrong , if anything, tomorrow. I am encouraged that it can actually get up.

I'm encouraged as well :sunsmile: Thanks for the report (I haven't been able to watch the cam much today).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:04 pm 

Well. Just watched a feeding. Something very yellow on the menu.

The good news is that the two big eyasses are markedly bigger and more sophisticated today than yesterday.

The bad news is that the little one really could not hold his head up and I did not see him get anything. It really does seem as if he has a severe problem. Tomorrow we will know.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:36 pm 

Oh, I am sorry. I was hoping that by the next feeding it would show much improvement and eat, with the other two possibly full.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:48 pm 

Feeding now again. Little one is standing there on the end with it's mouth open, but it is not being fed. Seems like when she has a bite ready, it has just fallen or something and when it's standing ready she is not seeing it. And of course it struggles to stay upright. I think it finally just gets too tired, plus the other two never get to the point where they are full, so that she can concentrate on the little one.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:35 am 

Oh my. Just looked and the nest was empty! Disaster! But then I remembered that today they will give the eyasses trich medicine, and look at the weak one...eager to hear results.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:04 am 

Ok, now they have put back two nestlings. The other one? One can only hope it's being kept back for treatment.

This nest watching is not unadulterated heart- warming joy. You have to be a realist in accepting the really awful parts, in order to enjoy the better parts. Otherwise I would have sworn off permanently after the crisis this nest had in 2008.

Anyway the two chicks are huddling, recovering no doubt from their abduction by aliens. Mom nowhere to be seen but there were shadows from flyovers a while ago.

Eager to hear news from Mike or anyone else who knows what is going on.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:11 am 

Yeah, I saw just the two. Maybe they are keeping the 3rd to feed and get up to speed and will put him back at some point. Well that what I hope anyway because he was a little fighter.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 2:55 pm 

I see it looks like still just the 2 the hoping for the best on the little one

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 3:15 pm 

Athena is definitely disturbed. Falcons may not count in the human sense but they do have a sense of the number of chicks they have, this we have seen in several nests. Let us hope for the best for the little chick which has so much determination.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:08 pm 

The chick-check went smoothly for the most part. The little chick has been taken for closer examination at a bird rehab center. We'll have to wait for an update on Nestbox News. The other 2 chicks, as the video as shown, are doing very well, and all 3 got a good feeding with their meds.

Athena and Six behaved the same as last year's chick-check: Six perching on the parapets and kakking (and getting his annual portrait taken), with Athena conducting the aerial assault. She had a new trick up her wing this year though: when the biologist Kathy & I stepped out onto the roof, Athena roared in and actually defecated on us!!! She whacked Kathy's umbrella several times, and even tore a hole in it!!

Six was alot more aggressive on banding day last year (joining Athena in the aerial bombardment). I'm sure he'll do the same again this year. Athena is just amazing; words don't do her justice. All I can say is that it's easy to feel very, very small when out on that roof and in her crosshairs!!

Some pictures are coming in a little while. The sky was overcast today: Six's portrait came out nice, and Athena's pics looked better when switched to plain black-and-white (which I think gives them an interesting look).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:17 pm 
Site Admin

Mike, thanks so much for your report...Sounds like it went great...other than the newly punctured umbrella and Athena's "greeting"...I'm so glad they took the little chick. I do hope it turns out to be ok and just undernourished...I can't wait for your pics...

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:24 pm 

mikeg713 wrote:
<<<SNIP>>>All I can say is that it's easy to feel very, very small when out on that roof and in her crosshairs!! <<<SNIP>>>

:sunsmile: I believe you. I have seen video's of such events and it's not for the faint-hearted :shock

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:25 pm 

Thank you so much for the update, Mike! I hope the little chick will be okay and will respond to treatment. I am glad to hear the other two are doing well. Looking forward to seeing the photos.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:33 pm 

Thanks for the report Mike. I am glad that they took the baby, just don't think it was making progress in the nest. Hope that it can be returned at some point. Saw a feeding earlier, parent fed then left with the prey only to come back less than a minute later to continue feeding until they were full. Well it might have been different parents.
:suncon:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:44 pm 

Thanks Mike! Sounds like a great afternoon. Athena told you what she thought of your messing with her chicks! She was definitely riled for quite a time after. Glad you a both OK as well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:17 pm 

Mike, a great story as always! I'm so glad you can be there to give us a first hand report. Can't wait for the pictures, and glad they took the wee one in for a check up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:27 pm 

We cannot be optimistic. It is a grave decision to take a chick from the nest. We all have to cross multiple fingers on this one. Trust me. The decision was difficult at best.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 490 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 25  Next