Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: PANDAS ~ 2014-2015
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:09 pm 

Blog @ Atlanta is reporting Yang Yang is off exhibit with the "sniffles", but not to worry. :loveheart2:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:19 pm 

Poor Yang Yang :tissue:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:54 pm 

I felt bad for Yang Yang when I read that too! Get well soon Yang Yang!

:flowers

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:19 am 

Mei Xiang was artificially inseminated using a mixture of sperm from Hui Hui (lives in China) and Tian Tian (Bao Bao's Dad) @ 6pm last night and @ 7:30 am today. See video and read update:

Apparently, only straws and flashlight needed! :teehee:

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 1:25 pm 

:eggup: Blog reported Yang Yang did recover from his "sniffles"!

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 5:38 pm 

Oh good.

On a similar note. My sister and brother in law visited Mr. Wu at the San Diego Zoo over the weekend. As usual, he was Mr. Silly delighting everyone.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 5:41 pm 

gigi wrote:
Oh good.

On a similar note. My sister and brother in law visited Mr. Wu at the San Diego Zoo over the weekend. As usual, he was Mr. Silly delighting everyone.

I love Mr. Wu! That zoo is suppose to be phenomenal. The animals seem to have more space than others I have seen. I like that even though I always feel badly for animals that are captive.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:31 pm 

Sally wrote:
gigi wrote:
Oh good.

I love Mr. Wu! That zoo is suppose to be phenomenal. The animals seem to have more space than others I have seen. I like that even though I always feel badly for animals that are captive.
The San Diego Zoo is fantastic. I have been a few times over the years and each time it is better and better. If you ever get to San Diego Sally, I recommend saving a day for the Zoo.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:43 pm 

gigi wrote:
Sally wrote:
gigi wrote:
Oh good.

The San Diego Zoo is fantastic. I have been a few times over the years and each time it is better and better. If you ever get to San Diego Sally, I recommend saving a day for the Zoo.

:girlyes:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:56 pm 

:flirty: Eventually, I get it right I think, but when I first open cam, It's hard to tell BaoBao from Mom without the size for comparison! :teehee:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:33 pm 

Okay, how did I miss all this:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:14 pm 

Interesting. Thanks SWINWK.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:24 pm 

THERE WILL BE NO BABY PANDAS FOR ATLANTA THIS YEAR. HOPE YANG YANG IS OKAY:
Panda Updates

Monday, June 22
Happy Monday, everyone! First, I’d love to introduce myself – I’m Stephanie Braccini, the new Curator of Mammals here at Zoo Atlanta. I’m thrilled to be here and am excited to work with the exceptional team of professionals here at the Zoo, as well as with our extraordinary animal collection.

I know many of you follow our giant panda program very closely, so many of you probably know that we’ve been monitoring Lun Lun closely for signs that her peak period of fertility was approaching. This monitoring has included watching for the behavioral signs we know, as well as performing hormone analyses.

After much consideration and close and regular contact with our partners at the Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding in China, we and our colleagues at Chengdu have made the joint decision not to move forward with artificial insemination (AI) with Lun Lun this year.

As you’re all aware, timing is the most important factor in breeding giant pandas in zoological situations, as the females are only fertile for two or three days a year! As you probably also know from following Lun Lun’s previous cycles, her estrous cycle is atypical this year as it’s taking place in late June, rather than the February-to-May timeframe that’s typical of female giant pandas. Our Veterinary Team has been monitoring Yang Yang for lethargic behavior, and since his part of the AI process involves general anesthesia, our team has opted not to perform the procedure given that Yang Yang has not been feeling 100 percent. The only banked sperm from Yang Yang available to our team, collected earlier this year, is of poor quality.

Lun Lun’s part of the process also involves general anesthesia, and especially given the fact that the AI process had a low probability of resulting in a cub this year, our colleagues in Chengdu were in full agreement with our team that animal wellness factors took precedence over the need to perform AI.

We expect Lun Lun to experience the same physical and behavioral changes that are usually associated with estrus for giant panda females; these changes are all normal and are just part of this process for her.

We look forward to sharing more updates this week, so stay tuned here to the blog, and be sure to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google+ and Pinterest for more great panda content. We also look forward to sharing updates on Mei Lun’s and Mei Huan’s upcoming second birthday – stay tuned for details!
Stephanie Braccini, PhD
Curator of Mammals

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:58 pm 

:thankyou for the update SWINWK. Where will we go for a panda fix. Wonder what is going on at San Diego and the National Zoo in DC? Note to self: Check that out. :teehee:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:12 pm 

WENT BACK AND CAN NOT FIND ANY INFO ON YANG YANG'S CURRENT AILMENT ... THEY ARE TREATING HIM WITH MEDS, UNLESS THESE ARE JUST ROUTINE MEDS HE NORMALLY TAKES ... BUT, NOT FORTHCOMING WITH DIAGNOSIS ...
Panda Updates

Wednesday, June 24
Many of our fans have asked how Yang Yang’s doing. Our team is noticing that he seems to be gaining back a little of his old self each day. His activity and appetite are increasing daily, and he’s consuming his medications well, which makes all of his keepers and veterinarians very happy. We’ve gotten very creative in coming up with some really, shall we say, “gourmet” disguises to make sure he doesn’t even realize he’s taking any medicine. We use sugar cane as a vehicle, and then we stuff it with banana mush and other goodies … yum, yum! Our team of caregivers and Yang Yang are all doing their parts to get him back to tip-top shape.

How are the twins? With all of our focus on breeding season and the adults lately, the twins have been little angels and going with the flow. They’ve developed their own schedule of being weighed in the morning, and then they happily eat bamboo and nap until usually 1 p.m. or 2 p.m. This usually means we have a giant mess to clean up, but it has enabled us for focus on the adults a little more, which has been helpful. Fret not, though! We’re making sure the twins get plenty of attention throughout the day and still make time to train with them on a regular basis.
Jen W.
Keeper II, Mammals

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:38 pm 

:loveshow: Word on Yang Yang:

Friday, July 10
Yang Yang has been feeling so well this last week that he is going out on exhibit again. Yang Yang actually loves spending time in the off-exhibit dens, so no one should worry about him when he is not in the dayrooms. He likes seeing his keepers as much as possible and being able to "flag" us down anytime he wants something. Yang Yang enjoys being pampered. In spite of his love of the dens, I think he was happy to go out in to the dayrooms this week. He spent a good amount of time sniffing around and scratching on his favorite posts of the structures before settling in to eat bamboo. Of course, he had to take a nap with his rear end propped up on the glass! We are all happy that Yang Yang is back to his old self. However, since the weather is hot, we do expect him to sleep more and eat less as, he does every summer.
Heather R.
Keeper III, Mammals

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:39 pm 

:flirty: The twins celebrated their 2nd birthday yesterday!!! :sum9:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:48 pm 
Global Moderator

:hapdance: :hapdance:

Thanks for all the news/coverage/updates SWINWK!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:58 pm 
Global Moderator

Facebook info

Smithsonian’s National Zoo and Conservation Biology Institute
WDC...

July 9 at 6:00pm

Maybe a baby this year (?!)

Whether Mei Xiang is pregnant or experiencing a pseudopregnancy is unfolding. Follow National Zoo FB
Our veterinary team will track changes in Mei Xiang’s reproductive tract. They’ve started to
see slight changes, which are consistent with a pregnancy or pseudopregnancy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:56 pm 

:loveheart2:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next