Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 450 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: JERSEY CITY ~ 2013
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:18 am 

Awesome pics SGB!! Doesn't seem like there's been additional hatches yet. Athena and the bunch have nearly drifted off-camera! :teehee:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:39 am 

Feeding occurred about 20 minutes ago. Mainly off the live camera, but the interior cam confirms we still have uno.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:31 pm 

Some lunchtime activity: Six had been sitting outside for about 10 minutes before Athena left to give him some time with baby:

After awhile, Athena returned with some prey. The stills didn't catch it, but I watched on video as Six and Athena had a tug of war with the food! While that was happening, they panned the cam to the right to get a better view of the chick.

Lunch for baby (there looks like a white spot on the dark egg in front of baby, not sure it's a pip though):

Athena back for brooding.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:11 pm 

NJ Fish and Wildlife is referring folks to BCAW

Quote from Nestbox News:

May 15, 2013, Afternoon Report: Still One Chick
Staff observed a "changing of the guard" at the nest with the arrival of fresh prey for the chick around 1:00 p.m. At that time there was still just one hatchling, and as time passes there is speculation that none of the three remaining eggs will hatch. Peregrines tend to be synchronous hatchers - since incubation doesn't begin until a full clutch of eggs is laid the eggs hatch at roughly the same time. This trait gives the entire brood an equal start in life. Since it's now been at least 30 hours since the chick was observed there is an increasing possibility that the other eggs are infertile and won't hatch.

Last year the female produced a clutch of five eggs. A larger clutch can indicate an older bird, and should the other three eggs fail to hatch it would be further indication the female is nearing the end of her productive years. But should there be just one chick, it's sure to benefit from being the sole focus of her attention!

For followers of Nestbox News interested in more photos from Jersey City, as well as information aboaut other nest webcams, visit Bird Cams Around the World.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:15 pm 
Site Admin

thanks for posting that, Bonnie...That is the first I have heard that a larger clutch could imply and older female..did not know that..

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:24 pm 

I didn't know that either. Interesting.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:38 pm 
Site Admin

Just had a very long feed..the baby gave out before the food..

I wish I had been recording (I was recording Columbus feed at the time)...it appeared that Athena and Six had a "disagreement" at the door...my guess maybe a food tug-o-war? I think Six wanted to do this feed...

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:41 pm 

skygirlblue wrote:
Just had a very long feed..the baby gave out before the food..

I wish I had been recording (I was recording Columbus feed at the time)...it appeared that Athena and Six had a "disagreement" at the door...my guess maybe a food tug-o-war? I think Six wanted to do this feed...

LOL they had a tug-o-war with the early afternoon feeding too!! :teehee:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:32 pm 
Global Moderator

:egghatch: Belated congratulations on the new chick here! It looks like she/he is being well taken care of by Athena and Six, when they're not playing tug-of-war with the food that is.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:31 pm 

Concern has developed about the chick. DEP concerned that it's not very energetic and seems unsteady. Late this morning and early afternoon, the chick was actually on it's back for over 2 hours. Tough to tell in the pics, but it's feet were moving in the air as it tried to right itself.

Six standing by while Athena prepped a meal.

Athena with prey, but of course the chick couldn't feed while on it's back.

Here is the chick still on it's back in front of Athena (you can kind of see it's talons sticking up);

But I think she finally got it rolled onto it's belly. Currently only it's rear end is visible sticking out from under Athena.

We'll see what happens during the next food delivery. Hopefully the chick won't get knocked on it's back again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:52 pm 
Site Admin

I hate to report this, but chick appears to be on its back again. I can see that the little thing is yelling, but, at this point, Hera is more concerned about tucking the eggs under her than the baby..

If they are going to intervene, they'd better do it now...

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:56 pm 

Definitely not easy to watch this.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:05 pm 
Site Admin

The baby was really yelling in this pic

and then settled down

it was on its back in both pics..

It appears that Hera has finally pulled it under her, but I believe it is still on its back..

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:22 pm 

Here is a Nestbox News entry posted earlier this afternoon:
"May 16, 2013, 1:30 p.m. - Trouble in Jersey City
Although staff observed two short feedings between prior to 8:00 a.m. this morning, it appears the lone hatchling is failing to thrive. When the adults have given us a view of the chick it was observed on its back; around 1:00 p.m. the female arrived with prey, but the chick remained on its back and was unable to feed - chicks must be able to sit up to accept food.

It could be any number of reasons, or combination of reasons, that this situation is what we're observing. Unfortnately, there is no action we can take to help the chick at this time, and to so would likely be futile in the end.

Meanwhile, the female continues to incubate the three eggs which are almost certainly beyond the point of hatching. A visit to administer medication early next week may have a different purpose if things do not turn around soon. But we'll be watching."

The chick is going to be long gone by early next week at this rate. :sad: Nature is nature, and we're not supposed to get emotionally attached because nature doesn't adhere those things. The viewer in me though will elect to not watch the inevitable here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:28 pm 

Oh my word, it's the saddest thing to watch the little baby under there on it's back with it's feet up. It is still alive, but I don't have much hope for it. What a mystery this failure to thrive thing is. It seemed to be doing ok in the beginning. :girlsad3:

I am so sorry Mike.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:45 pm 
Site Admin

Mike...I'm so sorry too...The feed I watched this morning looked really good...so, I don't know what has happened...just really tough to watch....so, I won't be....sorry...I've already reached my quota this year for watching chicks and adults die on cam... :tissue: I don't think I can do it again..

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:37 am 

And today's Nestbox News entry

May 17, 2013, 8:00 a.m. - A Plan Is Formulated
We have been carefully watching the chick that hatched on Tuesday morning, and we've concluded that the hatchling is not well. It seems to suffer some of the same symptoms we saw in the third of three chicks hatched in 2011. That young one also failed to thrive and, despite heroic treatment that lasted for months, he eventually died. It seems that this nest is having more than its share of problems.

In the nest on Thursday, the chick was not sitting up, which is necessary for it to be fed. It had gotten fed each day, but on Thursday the chick seemed worse, spending most of its time lying down and even apparently stuck on its back. This is not normal for a chick that is two days old. The other three eggs have not hatched and we don't expect them to hatch at this point. The adults are still trying to incubate them, which is also distracting them from the chick.

We may be seeing the lower nest success that is characteristic of older peregrine falcons. While our female remains an excellent caregiver, her eggs have lower viability, and the chick may suffer from a genetic abnormality. The eggs could also be carrying accumulated toxins that are interfering with hatching and normal chick development.

In the interest of keeping this pair active at the nest site, we will be providing them with a foster chick this afternoon that we're transferring from a four-chick nest in Sea Isle City. Biologist Mick Valent will put the chick in and remove the eggs and the sick hatchling. He will deliver the hatchling to The Raptor Trust, where we hope to get a clue as to what is wrong. The eggs will be valuable samples for future analysis.

Fostering chicks into nests is a proven technique and we fully expect the Jersey City adults will quickly adopt the new nestling. By doing this, we will allow the birds to fulfill their nesting cycle, giving full attention to raising one chick. The donor nest also benefits, because the adults will have a little less work raising their three remaining chicks. At both sites, we raise the chances of ultimate survival for all the young.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:45 am 
Site Admin

I am so glad to hear this!!!

I just opened the cam to find a chick sitting up between the eggs and then mom returned, licking her "lips" so I'm guessing there had been a feed?

So, have they already put in the foster chick or is this baby doing better because this chick looked pretty good!! I wish I had gotten here sooner to see the feed!!

Baby is now tucked under mom!!

I sure wish more sites were this responsive to the needs of the chicks and parents

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:10 am 

What a relief! So glad they're going with a Plan B. I totally forgot about the fostering option. Will be interesting to see what the Raptor Trust finds out about the chick (I think I heard, or read, somewhere that test results on eggs don't come back for like a year?).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:16 am 

Eggs are still there. Switch is to happen this afternoon.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 450 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 23  Next