Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 871 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: SALT LAKE CITY ~ 2014
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:23 am 

SWINWK wrote:
:clap: THANKS LIZZIE FOR YOUR INFO. WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THERE WOULD BE A CONNECTION WITH THE CARRIAGE DRIVERS AND THE FALCONS! I THINK THIS IS WONDERFUL! I WAS NOT ABLE TO PULL UP 1ST LINK, BUT DID ENJOY READING 2ND ONE. IT DID CROSS MY MIND... DOES THE WHOLE TOWN LOOK THIS WAY? YOU ALL SHOULD BE VERY, PROUD OF YOUR CITY AND THE PEREGRINE FALCON SITE. WE LOVE IT! THANK YOU! :eggthumbup:

Let's see if I can get a photo to post here. This is the grounds of Temple Square where the nest is and where they learn to fly. The nestbox is located on the short building on the far right. The spikey building is the Temple, the silver dome is the Tabernacle (where the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings), the very tall building is the Mormon HQ and where the youngsters sometimes get stuck up on the observation deck.

This is the county buildings a few blocks south of the nest grounds. It is a beautiful city. 2002 Olympics were here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:54 am 

WOW! THANK YOU LIZZY! :clap: IT IS A BEAUTIFUL CITY AND I AM GLAD THE PEREGRINES HAVE SUCH A WONDERFUL AREA TO LEARN AND FLY OVER! LAST YEAR I SAW VIDEO OF ONE FLEDGE ABRUPTLY AND CAN NOW SEE HE FLEW IN AREA BETWEEN TEMPLE AND MORMON HQ TO LAND ON BUILDING THAT IS ACROSS THE STREET FROM THESE 2 BUILDINGS. I WENT OUT AND PULLED UP 1ST BLOG PER ADDRESS AND SHE IS A HOOT! THANKS FOR SHARING ALL! :eggthumbup: 0155CDT PS: SORRY I MISSPELLED YOUR NAME 1ST TIME.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:58 am 

SWINWK wrote:
WOW! THANK YOU LIZZY! :clap: IT IS A BEAUTIFUL CITY AND I AM GLAD THE PEREGRINES HAVE SUCH A WONDERFUL AREA TO LEARN AND FLY OVER! LAST YEAR I SAW VIDEO OF ONE FLEDGE ABRUPTLY AND CAN NOW SEE HE FLEW IN AREA BETWEEN TEMPLE AND MORMON HQ TO LAND ON BUILDING THAT IS ACROSS THE STREET FROM THESE 2 BUILDINGS. I WENT OUT AND PULLED UP 1ST BLOG PER ADDRESS AND SHE IS A HOOT! THANKS FOR SHARING ALL! :eggthumbup: 0155CDT PS: SORRY I MISSPELLED YOUR NAME 1ST TIME.

Well not exactly. That low building up above is The Joseph Smith Memorial Building (JSMB for short) (below) and you are seeing the northwest wing of a H shaped building. The nest is actually on the NE side. So when the fledge they fly over to the Administration building shown on the right in this picture. You can see the garden in between, which is the garden seen from the nest box. You can see the Temple to the right. The street just here in front is South Temple Street where Primo did that long low flow over traffic landing in the middle of the street, which ended up putting him in the rehab facility in Colorado. He just couldn't stop himself from coming to the ground.

Here is a photo looking from the north (the rear) of that H shaped building, the JSMB

Here is the NE corner where the nest box is. You can see the rock and a falcon perched on the ledge. The very corner of the building is where they cache food on the stone ledge.

This is the grounds from the rear (north side looking south between JSMB and Temple) we spend a lot of time here watching flights.

One more from above of the JSMB, Temple, Tabernacle and you can see all the glass buildings across South Temple Street which cause the kids so much trouble.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:23 am 

I added some labels to help. When you read my blog, I talk about COB, JSMB, Temple and Admin Bldg. In this photo the Admin Bldg is not visible but it is in some on the next post. This is looking NE. If you followed the Elizabeth Smart story, those foothills directly behind the COB is where her captors held her the first few weeks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:40 am 

Love all of this information - thank you.

:thumbup

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:55 pm 
Site Admin

Liz..thanks so much for bringing all that info here...I think I'm gonna copy it and give it its own spot so that we can always have it near by. We're gonna need it during fledge to see what you guys are talking about!!

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:12 pm 

One more for you.

Couple of notes:

-I work just a block away for Falcon Central. I got involved in 2009 when I saw a news article asking for volunteers.

-Falcon Central, as Bob calls it, is the sidewalk that runs between the Admin Bldg and JSMB. So sort of that opening you see at the base of COB and World Trade. Bob sets up his folding chair there and the rest of the volunteers have 2-way radios so he can position us where he thinks birds are likely to fly. From that position Bob has eyes on the nest, COB, the front of JSMB and Zions Bank. So, he will post one or two of us at 1. COB 2. The Gap 3. The reflecting pond on west side of JSMB 4. Bench that sits under nest box and the rest of us up and down the sidewalk of South Temple Street.

-'The Gap' is referred to many times during our time there. It's an attractive flight path for the kids when they come off the JSMB. As you know after they fledge, they usually end up in the gardens of Temple Square, we pick them up, band them and take them to the top of the Beehive for release. The first couple flights from the Beehive usually head toward safe areas, like the Temple or the roofline of JSMB or Admin Bldg. But after they get some experience, they are very attracted to that 'gap' that runs south on Main Street. Its a terrible area, lots of places to get lost since its an open shopping center. In 2012 one of the kids landed on the sidewalk and walked in to the H&M store, as they had their door propped open. Scared a customer half to death. Probably Primo, he just couldn't stay in the air.

-Zion's Bank Building is our nemesis. It has a lot of glass with no ledges to perch. The kids have crashed there many times. Solo crashed last year twice, the first time he was rescued by the firetruck. The second ultimately led to his death as he had spinal injuries from the crash. Zion's is also the location of the famous Boxer Sue photo airing herself on a large fan.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:22 pm 

Beautiful city, Liz! Thanks for sharing your photos of it!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:48 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Liz!!!

All this wonderful info is now located here:

viewtopic.php?f=334&t=1822&p=296390#p296390

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:04 pm 
Site Admin

Earlier today~Mom

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 1:33 pm 

SALT LAKE CITY NEST BUILDING AND AREA SITE ... THANKS LIZZY AND SKYGIRLBLUE ... NOW WE WILL HAVE A BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF WHAT THE FALCONS AND GROUND CREW ARE DEALING WITH AND WHERE THEY ARE! JUST FOUND DAD IN THE NEST AND AS USUAL HE LOOKS ... STUNNING!

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:50 pm 

:wow: Thanks for all the great information and pictures Lizzy. Their nest is perfect where it is. Been to your beautiful city several times, so many interesting things to see. I especially liked one of the avenues we saw there lined with all kinds of trees and were told that missionaries each brought back two trees from all over the world, different climates, and they all grew and thrived there. Once, we even had a 2 week training class for work there. I couldn't believe our good fortune.
:biggrin:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:39 pm 

ljames wrote:
:wow: Thanks for all the great information and pictures Lizzy. Their nest is perfect where it is. Been to your beautiful city several times, so many interesting things to see. I especially liked one of the avenues we saw there lined with all kinds of trees and were told that missionaries each brought back two trees from all over the world, different climates, and they all grew and thrived there. Once, we even had a 2 week training class for work there. I couldn't believe our good fortune.
:biggrin:

That's great! I have never heard of that street. If you ever remember the name or where it is, let me know. I tried googling but nothing came up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:22 am 

I THINK SHE IS ASLEEP. :egg8: 2322CDT

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:19 pm 

DAD IS SNOOZING ATOP THE EGGS. WATCHING AND WAITING FOR EGGS TO HATCH CAN BE A MUNDANE EXPERIENCE. HOWEVER, SALT LAKE CITY HAS THE BEST SIDE SHOW FOR YOU TO ENJOY WHILE YOU WAIT! IN ADDITION TO WHAT YOU MAY SEE LIVE ON THE STREET, THEY HAVE A TIMELINE YOU CAN TRAVEL. A MORNING OR SO AGO I HAD A LOOK-SEE AND WAS NOT DISAPPOINTED. I ENCOUNTERED A BRIDE AND GROOM STROLLING DOWN THE LAWN WITH PHOTOGRAPHER IN TOW. SUDDENLY, THEY TURNED AROUND AND CAME RUNNING BACK AND THE GROOM LIFTS HIS BRIDE INTO THE AIR, TRAIN AND ALL AND TWIRLS HER ROUND AND ROUND. BET THEY HAVE SOME GREAT, WEDDING PHOTOS! :egg19:

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 2:32 pm 

:egg14: OH NO, THE PURPLE PLANTS ARE MISSING! TRAVELED THE TIME LINE AND CAUGHT THEM RED-HANDED! APPROXIMATELY 8 SUSPECTS (2 WEARING RED SHIRTS AND 6 DARK BLUE SHIRTS) ARE SEEN LEAVING SCENE WITH RAKES, HOES, BROOM AND BAGS. COME BACK WITH THOSE PLANTS! SEE DAD ON NEST. WONDER IF HE WAS ON DUTY @ TIME OF INCIDENT AND CAN GIVE FURTHER DETAILS. :teehee:

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:51 pm 
Site Admin

We are in the home stretch (thank goodness)

I think we should start looking for pips/hatches around 5/15!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:13 pm 
Site Admin

Mom getting up to leave..

I really didn't expect to see anything, but we better start watching!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:33 pm 

:egg19:

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:22 pm 
Site Admin

This is it....Hatch in progress..

Volume up...and you will hear the chick in the egg..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 871 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 44  Next