Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 871 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: SALT LAKE CITY ~ 2014
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:49 am 

Perhaps it was a red-tailed hawk, since you said its wings were large. Or even a Cooper's Hawk, they like to hang out in suburban areas and hunt smaller birds. Both those hawks are more comfortable around developed areas than some.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:38 pm 
Site Admin

:egg20: Posted on Facebook, 2 hrs ago:

An update from Bob today!

Don, Valarie and I watched the kids this a.m. (<07:30). All three put on quite a show flying high - at one point, all three in the air together - all around and over the Eagle Gate Tower (World Trade Tower), Key Bank Tower, Zions Bank Tower, Gateway West Tower. What a wonderful spectacle in the cool temperature of the morning! FYI - according to my records, Ace and Hunter (63 days old) have been out of the nest box for 24 days on this date (July 18) and Skye (60 days old) has been out for 20 days on this date (July 18). Best time to check out flights early and late in the day ... when it's cool. RW

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:52 pm 

:egg20: :flirty: :flirty: :flirty:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:03 pm 

skygirlblue wrote:
I loved your "exhaustive narrative"...but REALLY loved your "whale" of a story!!! I can't tell you how many times I've done that..and STILL do that!!
Me too! I was thinking as I was reading, what a talented writer you are. Descriptive, funny and informative.
So glad you and your talents found their way to BCAW Fledgling Fan. :hapdance:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:06 pm 

Thank you for the update. And especially the really nice things you said about my writing. Never did I think I would get photos, but this time I was on the way to the pool at 4:40 p.m. and there were two large winged birds this time. Sorry I don't have a better camera - this was using my zoom at fullest capacity. I can zoom in on the photos in My Pictures, and would still need an expert or someone more experienced to identify these birds, but I don't know how to save a zoomed image. I was snapping like crazy but forgot the binoculars in the car. Didn't see anyone perching. They seemed to be landing on the roof of the school where I couldn't see, but then they would come out again. There were other birds in the sky, including a flock of, er, something... But no kills. Hope this helps. Maybe at some point I can figure out how to save a zoomed image, but that won't be happening today.

Have a little patience since there are about 60 photos. There are a few where I think it might be possible for someone to identify, yea or nay, even without zooming. (Fingers crossed.)

https://picasaweb.google.com/1148877338 ... feat=email

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:49 pm 
Site Admin

WOW...You got some great pics!! I'll go through them closer tomorrow, but I don't think they are falcons. In a couple of the pics I could see the finger like feathering on their wing tips. Were they mostly "soaring" and could you tell their speed?

I'll choose a few, enlarge them, then post here tomorrow...then we can all play "name that bird"...LOL

Thanks so much for getting the pics!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:58 pm 

Fledgling Fan, I think they may be turkey vultures. Your bird enlarged

See this link at Cornell's Lab of Ornithology
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Turkey_Vulture/id

Images from Cornell Lab of Ornithology All About Birds
Image Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:14 pm 
Site Admin

OH thanks, gigi...you're one step ahead of me...I think TV too!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:34 pm 

Turkey vulture? Well, shucks, that's not very poetic. ;)

Glad you like the pics though. And am really glad you guys can help identify these birds. I would say they were mostly soaring, and, no, I don't know how fast they were going. They were hanging around in the same airspace. One went east for a bit at some point away from the school, but came back. They had plenty of chances to pluck a meal from the sky, but didn't.

I too noticed the finger-like feathering that you are talking about in some of the pics. When they were high up in the sky, I just kept thinking how huge their wing span must be when they were far away like that, so it absolutely makes sense that this is indeed a larger bird.

Anyhow, I am truly happy that you guys can zoom in on what I posted. Have a great night and thanks for your help!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:45 pm 

One last comment. In googling turkey vulture in flight images, their wings in flight seem to be almost all white, except for the top and body. When I zoom in on the birds I photographed - and I am sure you noticed the same loss of resolution at some point - I notice that the wings are distinctly colored (photos not clear enough to make out the pattern however) except for a white patch that begins 2/3 of the way out from the wing and then the coloring picks up again at the wing tips. Zoom in on photo 59 of 62 (4th from the end). Dark head, "white" gullet area, white patch 2/3 of the way out on the wings, but darker wing tips. And this coloring does not match any of the "raptors from the ground" images, but I do recognize that there are probably many variations. That is just my comment in my brief perusal of turkey vulture images. Thanks again!

Edit: I have found some images of red-tailed hawk matching dark head, white gullet, whitish area before wingtips, but the photos are close up and clear so that I can't tell against my blurry photos. This has been interesting to try to find out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:04 am 

Hi Fledgling Fan! I posted a zoomed, cropped image of one of your photos on Birding in Utah Facebook page to get opinions. I don't think its a Turkey Vulture because they have a definite bird-like dark shape to their underneath. Possibly this is a Norther Harrier. I'll see what that group thinks. Also, I will be trying to grab some photos of our peregrines for my blog this week. I might swing by East High and see if I can catch photos of these birds too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:10 am 

Wow, super cool, Lizzy! Thanks to everyone for their help in identifying these birds. So today I saw the two at 4:40 - on the brink of the first thunderstorm - if the sun were out probably wouldn't have been able to get these photos. The other night it was 9:00 p.m in the same area.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:39 am 

The facebook group guesses a red tail hawk. I'll see what pics I can get this week.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:56 am 
Site Admin

WOW...super job with the editing, Liz...it does look like a RTH or NH...definitely not a TV..You may have caught a family group, Fledgling Fan!! I'm sure their babies are learning just like the SLC babies are...

Posted Yesterday by Shelly J. on FB!! :egg20:

Picture was taken from the Key Bank Tower looking out at the World Trade Center Tower. All three peregrine kids. This was taken on Sunday, July 20th

Liz, good luck getting pics of the kids...can't wait...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:06 am 

Lizzy wrote:
Hi Fledgling Fan! I posted a zoomed, cropped image of one of your photos on Birding in Utah Facebook page to get opinions. I don't think its a Turkey Vulture because they have a definite bird-like dark shape to their underneath. Possibly this is a Norther Harrier. I'll see what that group thinks. Also, I will be trying to grab some photos of our peregrines for my blog this week. I might swing by East High and see if I can catch photos of these birds too.

Oh my. Lots of opinions about the birds you saw Fledgling Fan. If this is FF's picture cropped and enlarged, WOW! What software do you use?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:16 am 

:egg20: :egg20: :egg20: SKYGIRLBLUE, THANKS FOR BRINGING OVER THE PHOTO OF ALL 3 FALCON BABES FROM SUNDAY!!! THEY LOOK GREAT AND MUST BE DOING WELL. SO HAPPY SKYE IS HANGING OUT WITH HUNTER AND ACE NOW! :flirty: :flirty: :flirty:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:03 am 

Hi again, all. The bird that Liz posted I believe is an example of a Northern Harrier and is not from my photographs. (And thanks, Liz.)

And it is so great to see the kidsters again. That's awesome. Wish I could take photos like that!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:11 am 

Fledgling Fan wrote:
Hi again, all. The bird that Liz posted I believe is an example of a Northern Harrier and is not from my photographs. (And thanks, Liz.)

And it is so great to see the kidsters again. That's awesome. Wish I could take photos like that!!
Thanks! I thought if it were one of your pics it is definitely a northern harrier. Keep us posted with any sightings you have!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:32 am 

FOR THOSE NOT TRAVELING TO THE BLOG, LIZ LABELED THE PIC OF THE JUVIES ABOVE (LEFT TO RIGHT) AS: HUNTER, SKYE, ACE. :flirty: :flirty: :flirty:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:11 am 

o glad the juvies are doing fine.

always good news

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 871 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next