Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 871 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: SALT LAKE CITY ~ 2014
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:26 pm 

Just a funny little side story. On July 4 evening, we were looking for kids and noticed tail feathers sticking straight out from the Key on Key bank building. Weird angle actually because there wouldn't be enough room to lie flat, nose in. Bob took a look through his field glasses and said 'that looks like an accipiter tail, like a cooper's hawk'. He then brought his spotting scope over and identified it as a Yellow Billed Cuckoo tail, being sure it was just the tail or leftover meal the adults left there. It's a rare bird here but has been seen in the city before. The next day the professional photographer was on site so he asked her to take photos. When they walked over the feathers were gone! It had been windy so perhaps them blew off. The interesting part of the story is that they found the head of the bird on the sidewalk. :girlcrazy: I think I Tweeted it Sunday, if not, I'll send to SGB to post for you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:32 pm 

Oh, I love your final story Lizzie. I too, have found "parts" on the ground beneath an area where a meal has taken place. I move the remains to a safe place where I think they will not be disturbed so they may become part of the eco system. I can never think that they will be simply swept away and discarded in the trash.

Also the ground reports were awesome. I really missed all of that this year in Indy since our only chick died perished soon after fledging. I love all the success stories.

Oh, I wonder if that quail became dinner for someone...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:56 pm 

LET'S HOPE HE DIDN'T GIGI ... HE IS SO HANDSOME AND PRINCELY-LOOKING!!! :egg17:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:26 pm 

SWINWK wrote:
LET'S HOPE HE DIDN'T GIGI ... HE IS SO HANDSOME AND PRINCELY-LOOKING!!! :egg17:
I am not sure how fast the quail are, but it IS survival of the fittest and I am not sure how fit a quail is downtown!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:51 pm 

TWITTER: BOB RESCUED AND RELEASED ONE JUVIE FROM WEST OBSERVATION OF COB THIS MORNING! WINDOW WASHERS @ EAGLE GATE TOWER CAUSED 2 JUVIES TO SIT ON KEY BANK SIGN ALL DAY AND THEY DON'T THINK ONE OF THEM WAS SKYE! SEE PHOTO. :egg19:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:08 am 

WONDER IF THAT JUVIE RESCUED WAS OUR SKYE. :egg17:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:58 pm 

WHEN DOES THE CAM STOP FOR THE SEASON @ THIS SITE. LOOKED IN ARCHIVES FOR 2013 AND LOOKED LIKE MAYBE SOMETIME IN AUGUST. DO THEY LEAVE IT ON FOR THE MONTH OF JULY, SO WE CAN SEE THE PARENTS RETURN TO NEST AND BOND? KEEP WATCHING CAMS FOR THIS, BUT HAVE NOT SEEN SUCH.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:21 pm 

This was on their facebook page today:

The Falcon Rescue Team thought their job was over for the season, but the peregrine kids are still keepin' em busy. Skye sustained a beak injury, but do not fret! We think she'll be okay. A veterinarian specializing in avian dentistry will apply an acrylic restoration to fix it, and she will likely be released later today!

The other birds are still around town and doing well. It is still a little too soon for them to hunt on their own.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:00 pm 

:eggthumbup: THANKS DEEINTX! I WENT TO FB TO SEE IF I COULD GLEAN ANY INFO ON INCIDENT. I KNOW AN UNNAMED JUVIE WAS RESCUED AND RELEASED BY BOB ON MONDAY. I ASSUMED @ THAT TIME THAT IT WAS SKYE, BUT DON'T KNOW FOR SURE. AM WONDERING DID SHE REQUIRE A RESCUE TODAY AND SHE RE-INJURED HER BEAK OR DID THEY TAKE THE OPPORTUNITY WHILE THEY HAD "HANDS ON" TO GO WITH THE MORE PERMANENT SOLUTION OF USING ACRYLICS RATHER THAN THE SUPER GLUE? I DID SEE WHERE BOB POSTED AFTER HE RELEASED SKYE @ 1 SOMETHING TODAY, SHE EVENTUALLY FLEW TO THE KEY BANK BUILDING LANDING ON THE B, THEREBY JOINING ACE AND HUNTER WHO WERE IN THEIR USUAL SPOT PERCHED ON THE KEY LOGO. SO, ALL 3 JUVIES PERCHED TOGETHER AND ACCOUNTED FOR!!! SO HAPPY TO HEAR THEY CONTINUE THEIR JOURNEY!!! HOPE MOM AND DAD ARE DOING WELL ALSO. :egg17: :egg17: :egg17: :egg17: :egg17: (QUESTIONS ARE FOR ANYONE OUT THERE WHO MAY KNOW) :egg8:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:23 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for that info, DeeInTx...and like you, Swinwk, I just went and read all the comments on FB...sure wish there were pictures..Reading the original post, it sounds like she sustained another beak injury..maybe because of the first injury her beak was prone to more damage? Who knows. I hope the acrylic holds. Surely they thought she was ok to be released.

Sounds like she's flying well..there was even one comment posted by Jo Y. "I was just down at Temple Square with Bob and Valerie. Skye is doing some impressive flying and hanging out with her noisy sister, Hunter. All is well!" :egg19:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:50 am 

THANKS SKYGIRLBLUE, SOMEHOW I MISSED THAT ORIGINAL POST. I'LL GO BACK AGAIN AND LOOK FOR IT. :egg19:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:24 am 

SO, BOB WAS CALLED TO THE COB ON TUESDAY EVENING D/T SKYE INJURING HER BEAK AGAIN. AND I JUST READ THE VET WHO SPECIALIZES IN BIRDS DID THIS WORK "PRO BONO"! :eggthumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:46 am 
Site Admin

Much to my surprise, Dad was in the box when I opened the cam...(6:30 am)..not sure (obviously) how long he had been there. I guess they have diverted some of their resources elsewhere, because the cam is very jerky and freezes all the time..

Well, Dad's visit is the good news...and now for the concerning news. I think he may be injured: left foot and/or leg. I had wondered why he appeared to be "hopping"...I just thought it was the jerky cam (and could have been)...then I saw him turn around to leave.

Poor vid, I know...and hopefully, the cam jerkiness makes it look worse than it is..

Right after Dad left, I could hear one of the juvies screaming in the distance!!! :egg20:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:41 am 

:egg15: :egg16: OH NO! LOOKS AS IF HE WAS DOING SOME "TALON TOUCHING" RATHER THAN FULL WEIGHT-BEARING TO STEADY HIMSELF FOR THE TURN AROUND. SKYGIRLBLUE, DID YOU CALL BOB AND LET HIM KNOW? I KNOW THEY GO FOR A FEW DAYS @ A TIME WITHOUT SEEING HIM AND THEY MAY NOT BE AWARE. WHILE THEY CAN'T CAPTURE HIM, THEY COULD BE ON THE LOOK-OUT FOR A POSSIBLE GROUNDING. HOPEFULLY, IT WILL BE SOMETHING THAT WILL IMPROVE ON IT'S OWN IF WE'RE LUCKY. IT CERTAINLY BEARS WATCHING. I AM SO GLAD YOU SAW HIM AND COULD DO VIDEO DOCUMENTATION! I'VE BEEN OCD-ING TRYING TO FIND SOMEONE IN THE NEST, BUT IN THE END BETTER IT WAS YOU THEN ME! :egg19: NOTICED ON TWITTER SOME OF THE KIDS ARE ON A FIRE ESCAPE SOMEWHERE IN TOWN. :egg8: :flirty:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:56 pm 
Global Moderator

Thanks for the video MA-dang for poor Dad :(

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:56 pm 

Hello, Everyone. I have been lurking here for a few weeks and originally registered to come on here and thank you all so much for being stalwarts in providing such excellent comprehensive information on the SLC Peregrines whom I have only discovered just this year after I came across a story in the online Salt Lake Tribune when Ace and Hunter hatched. I instantly fell in love with that webcam and being able to watch these little guys grow and develop (and so quickly!). In the beginning, I was more than a little frightened that they would step off that ledge to their deaths; however, I overcame that fear after learning that it had never happened. I learned this shortly after that webcam snafu where none of the babies were viewable. I was upset for quite some time until that cleared up and I found out they were still there. Phew!!!

I work in Gateway Tower West, directly South across the street from the Salt Lake Temple. And I was so excited to head down (on my lunch break) to the Plaza that first day that Ace and Hunter fledged and got to "meet" Hunter where she sat on the lower molding of JSMB (used to be the Hotel Utah, by the way, which is a lot nicer to say) for most of that first day. I was so excited. And probably my most exciting moment was when I got to see Ace with my bare eyes perched on top of the statue of Moroni (day 1 or 2?), someone snapped a photo as we all know, BUT I got to see him leave his perch on Moroni and engage in one of his early flying sessions. I noticed how he flapped his wings so deliberately and intensely, it looked a bit labored, because he had not yet figured out how to soar. I have never watched a bird just learning how to use his wings like that. Super cool!

Anyway, I was intent on being responsible and writing you a note this early evening because I did happen to be training someone on the top floor of Gateway Tower West (floor 19) with my back to the large panoramic northwest face window (that is, it's on a diagonal) when I heard a familiar screeching. I zoomed around and saw two of the falcons flying together what seemed but a distance of yards away. Oh how I wish I could tell you who it was. I think it was two young birds because they did seem to bear the same coloring and if I am not mistaken, the fledglings seem to me to be more peachy and brown and brilliant colored than the parents, but I can't say for sure, sure.

What I am sure about is that the coworker I was training probably thinks I'm just a little cooky I was so thrilled to be witnessing the falcons like this. The thing is, I couldn't understand why no one else was as excited as I was. :) This was around 4:30 p.m. MDT.

At any rate, thanks again for everything. I will still be checking in here, and will dutifully report any sightings. I did get to see Skye on the "B" yesterday with binoculars and watched the others hanging out on opposite sides of COB, some occasional flying and landing there. One of them eventually flew to meet Skye and hang out with her on the "B".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:34 pm 
Site Admin

First of all, :grwelcom to our Forum, Fledgling Fan!! It is so great to have you here...we, like you, love this nest and this falcon family...but unlike you, we only have a front row seat via the cam!!

It was so fun to read your accounts of actually seeing the juvies...so exciting for you!! WOW...such a thrill...sounds like you need to walk around your office, with camera in hand, at all times!!! :teehee:

I sure do hope you will return with many more stories....and MAYBE some pics? that would be so awesome!!!

Again, WELCOME!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:57 pm 

Welcome Fledgling Fan! We appreciate any word from some one who is on site. I am part of a fledge watch group in Indianapolis, and it never gets old. Glad you found the Salt Lake Falcon family and then your way to BCAW!
Again I say :welcome

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:18 pm 

:dancegirl: WELCOME TO BCAW FLEDGLING FAN! I REALLY ENJOYED READING YOUR GROUNDS REPORT! WE LOVE HEARING ABOUT OUR :flirty: SLC FALCON FAMILY. ANY LITTLE TIDBIT OR A GROUNDS REPORT WILL BE APPRECIATED VERY MUCH. I AM SO GLAD YOU HAVE JOINED US! I JUST CHECKED TWITTER AND FB AND I DO NOT SEE ANYTHING TO REPORT. HOPE ALL IS WELL AND WILL BE WATCHING FOR ANY UPDATES ON DAD. :egg19:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:38 am 

Welcome to BCAW from me too, Fledgling Fan! :grwelcom I know I understand & I'm sure the other members of BCAW understand your excitement at seeing the falcons & confusion that others around you weren't excited! You have found some kindred spirits! :loveshow:

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 871 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next