Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: HOG ISLAND, ME~2015
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:28 pm 

:eggthumbup: ALL IS WELL!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:59 pm 

BABIES ARE STARTING TO LOOK OUT OVER THE WATER! :flirty:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:59 am 

:sorrow: :sorrow: VERY HEARTBREAKING NEWS ... WE HAVE LOST THE CHICKS ... JUST SAW THEM YESTERDAY MORNING ... POOR RACHEL AND STEVE ... THEY HAVE NAMED THEM "BIG AND LITTLE" ...

Hello Osprey Fans! Project Puffin Director Dr. Steve Kress provides his insight and gives context on why the eagle attack may have occurred, including a first hand account from staff on Hog Island. Please read the blog entry:

http://blog.explore.org/audubo...

We understand that an eagle taking the chicks is scary, sad, and distressing. And even though this is indeed the way of nature, it can be upsetting to watch, especially after spending so much time with the osprey family. But it is Explore's and Audubon's belief that nature should be shown as it is. Please try not to pass blame onto Rachel and Steve, who no doubt care for their family more than anyone.

And remember that many are grieving so please be kind to one another.

Osprey expert Dr. Rob Bierregaard tells us, "The Hog Island ospreys will not renest this year. The adults will hang around until they migrate. They won’t be a constant presence and they may wander off—adults often do this when nests fail—but they won’t abandon the nest. They’ll be around to make sure other birds don’t get ideas about taking over the nest. There’s too much invested in it and it has been successful. Nothing is certain in wildlife biology, as we all know, but I’m quite sure they’ll be back next spring."

To honor the chicks, we wanted to name them. We've selected from the pool of names our hard-working osprey camera operators had submitted. In memoriam, the osprey chicks are named "Big" and "Little" respectively.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:54 am 

SWINWK, rysx, Freddie B
I would like to say how very sorry we all are.You have given us all such wonderful coverage of the nest.
You have been so devoted to watching and reporting all the wonders of the Osprey family at Hog Island, and alas now you have been given the terrible task of reporting such heartbreaking news.
Please know we grieve with you all. :sorrow:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

I too am so, so sorry to those of you who have been following this nest so closely. I did see the blog entry, but just could not watch the video!!

I can remember following a nest several years ago when a Great Horned Owl attacked and took one of the osprey chicks. I can remember screaming at my monitor as if it would stop what was happening..therefore, I hope none of you saw it live!!

Precious babies and now grieving parents. I am sure the parents will recover much faster than all the devoted fans...just terrifying and so heartbreaking...

:sorrow: Big and Little... :tissue:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:05 pm 
Global Moderator

I am so sorry to read this news :tissue:

Just this week Blackwater Osprey nest mod (Lisa) talked about 2014 when their chicks
were taken by a Great Horned Owl.

Rest in Peace Big and Little :sorrow:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:34 pm 

I also am very sorry for all watchers and the osprey parents. We know how this is nature but none the less it is hard. :egg10:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:15 pm 

bev. wrote:
I also am very sorry for all watchers and the osprey parents. We know how this is nature but none the less it is hard. :egg10:

Me too, bev. This nest has so many loyal followers - I think they even kept in touch during the winter... They had a newsletter and even kept careful records last season of fish counts. I used to compare Hog Island to Ches Cons (my first nest) and wonder why Tom didn't bring in a zillion fish daily like Steve did. Last season Steve delivered over 800 fish! Incredible O family. Such a loss... :sorrow:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:08 pm 
Site Admin

As I was making rounds on FB (since I am sooooooooooooooo behind) I came across this comment on the MN Bound page by Nancy M. K. regarding the predation of the 2 osprey chicks. Watching falcons as most of us do I know some of us have, at one time or another, pondered/struggled with/contemplated/ the food source issue...(I know I have, but try not to think about it..) Nancy's words:

I am really struggling with this one: The irony is that when watching "our" particular favorite nest, we cheer when food is procured for our precious babies. We are not particularly dismayed at the source of nourishment, be it a duckling, young turtle, squirrel, bunny or whatever...and yet there is always a nest or parent somewhere who has just lost their offspring in that event. This one really slaps us all in the face however and makes the circle of life too real as we see the event from the other side of the food chain. It is tough.

...and like Bev. said, this is nature~which can be so indifferent at times~but, I still don't have to like it or discount/minimize the emotions that are stirred when something like this happens..

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:47 am 

RACHEL IS CURRENTLY SLEEPING ON THE PERCH WITH HER HEAD TUCKED. WATCHED STEVE AND RACHEL THROUGH OUT THE DAY ... THEY REMAINED ON HIGH ALERT PRETTY MUCH ... ONCE I FOUND HER SHIELDING THE EGG FROM THE SUN ... OTHERS ON CHAT SAW STEVE TENDING TO THE EGG EARLIER TODAY ... SUCH A TRAGIC TURN OF EVENTS ... ONE OF THE ELDERLY LADIES I SHARE THE BIRDS WITH SAID "BUT, THEY WERE OUR FRIENDS" ... AS I WATCHED THEM YESTERDAY MORNING ... I THOUGHT OF TAKING A SNIP ... BUT, ONLY 1 CHICK IN VIEW AS OTHER WAS BEHIND RACHEL MOST OF THE TIME ... AND EVEN THOUGH THE BABY (LITTLE) WAS LOOKING VERY CUTE ... I TOLD MYSELF ... NO WAIT ... YOU'VE GOT PLENTY OF TIME YET TO CAPTURE THEM ... AND HAS ANYONE EVER TOLD YOU ALL WHAT A GREAT GROUP OF PEOPLE YOU ARE ... THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR THOUGHTS AND SUPPORT!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:43 am 
Global Moderator

Mother Nature ...

Mother Nature is a silent teacher, friend, philosopher
and guide ...it teaches us life, to respect all life.

SWINWK - so glad you are with us!!

>BCAW...wonderful/good people that love nature/birds/critters :girlyes:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:07 pm 

JUST SAW THIS AND THOUGHT IT WAS INTERESTING THAT RACHEL OR STEVE MAY HAVE STRUCK THE EAGLE ...

Steve and Rachel remain alone on their nest
Audubon’s Steve Kress Provides Insight on Osprey Chicks
The Hog Island Osprey Nest and its viewers were shocked on Friday when an eagle took both young osprey chicks from their nest in the afternoon hours. Project Puffin Director Dr. Steve Kress provides his insight and gives context on why the eagle attack may have occurred, including a first hand account from staff on Hog Island.

“I share the loss of our little osprey chicks ‘Big’ and ‘Little’ who vanished today so suddenly. I too will miss watching the daily drama at the nest unfold. But now we must look for new lessons in this. What will Rachel and Steve do? Will they continue to frequent the nest and guard it from intruders? Will they take this opportunity to do some remodeling by building up new layers of nesting material in anticipation of next year? My hunch is that they will not lay eggs- there would not be time before the powerful urge to migrate lifts them into the wind. I long ago learned that watching birds is endlessly surprising and with the tool of the cam, we all have the opportunity to learn together.

We do know for sure that it was an eagle that took the chicks. And we have an eyewitness account. The Hog Island chef had just stretched out in a nearby hammock to take a well-deserved rest when she heard the ospreys calling loudly- then heard a loud ‘whoomphing noise.’ She turned to see the eagle flying low to the ground and suspects the eagle was hit by one of the ospreys-and this drove it to the ground. ‘The eagle looked as though it hit the ground and had trouble gaining altitude, but barreled off through the trees, right by my hammock.’

This is the first time that an eagle has snatched nestlings from Rachel and Steve, though eagles and Great Horned Owls have threatened the nest before. Much of the ospreys’ success up to today is because their nest is located in the center of the Hog Island Audubon Camp. When it is in session, the camp provides protection as there are usually bird watchers frequenting the vicinity. Rachel and Steve have grown accustomed to this activity which usually deters wary eagles. However, the 50 participants in this week’s program ‘Hands on Bird Science’ departed this morning, which may have given the eagle an opportunity to attack. A pair of eagles also nest on Hog Island in a nearby giant white pine and they have at least one chick to feed. But today’s attacker could have just as easily been a random bird taking advantage of an opportunity. Maine’s coastal Bald Eagles often feed on other birds, though these are usually gulls and sea ducks such as eider. And eagle populations are on the increase- an indication of less pollution from pesticides such as DDT. The most recent Maine statewide eagle census found more than 700 pairs–a dramatic increase from only a few pairs in the 1960’s.

It’s natural to look for meaning and lessons in such a loss- and though it’s tough to witness, I reflect that some birds will live as others pass. And this is very much the case with eagles. Each bird is just trying to stay alive and rear its young. Today’s drama reminds us how beautifully adapted each animal is to its habitat and home. This cam has given us a remarkable window to see nature as few have seen it before.”

Thank you for your words, Steve. Explore has cut a short video of the attacks, which we sent to osprey experts for review, and we must warn you the footage could be disturbing for some viewers. The video is below:

audubonhog islandmaineospreyospreycamospreysrachel
73 June 27, 2015

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:08 pm 

From Mod today:
Poppy Mod • 3 hours ago
To celebrate the family of seabirds, Project Puffin Director Dr. Stephen Kress joins us for a live chat tomorrow, July 2nd at 12 pm PDT / 3 pm EDT from the remote Seal Island!

And, because of the recent events on the Hog Island Osprey Nest when eagle attacks took the chicks from their home, Dr. Kress will open the chat taking questions about the loss of the chicks and what osprey parents Rachel and Steve will do now.
Hello osprey fans!

To keep the chat with Dr. Kress as smooth as possible - and to leave him a bit of time for puffin topics - our community friend HAG made a great suggestion: Please start to post your questions to Dr. Kress from now on on this chat. Start with Question", "?" or "Dr. Kress" so we can find them easily. All chatters can up-vote these questions and Explore will forward the most appreciated to Dr. Kress.

http://blog.explore.org/live-f...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:48 pm 
Global Moderator

:eggthumbup: Many thanks SWINWK for the heads up!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:31 pm 

:girlsad3: Try as I might ... I never can catch Steve or Rachel on cam ...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:15 am 

Tom and Audrey osprey chicks named Maine and Montana
MAINE was chosen in honor of the Hog Island osprey chicks taken by an eagle
MONTANA osprey nest eggs were lost in a hailstorm.
And there is a party on the other side of Rainbow Bridge at the honor!

Tom and Audrey osprey, Chesapeake Bay Conservancy
http://raptorresource.org/forum/index.p ... 23.60.html

Maybe the next honor name can be Woody - the Woods Hole osprey chick pushed out of its nest was too emaciated to survive

SWIN - Tom and Audrey got the tweet. They are comforted. :dancegirl:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:50 pm 

Rachel and Steve are still coming to the nest, but are not always seen daily. They have a vid @ site showing the two arriving @ the nest and Steve leaves to chase away an intruder. :flirty:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:27 pm 

:thumbup :loveheart2:

Profile E-mail