Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: HOG ISLAND, ME~2016-2017
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:25 pm 

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:50 pm 

Here's a video of the owl attack last night (7-21). Watch at your discretion - I thought it was absolutely horrible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLP19gmIj9Q

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:00 pm 

:sum9: Rachel! :flirty:

From Mod:

Poppy Mod • 10 hours ago
Please, unfold for more information and words From Steve Kress!

Well, what a night, osprey friends!

Rachel's plan, staying closer to Bailey during the night, worked perfectly. She fought off several owl attacks, starting at 1:56 am EDT! We don't know yet, whether Bailey was harmed during the combat; she might have some bruises. We have to wait for sunlight and her activities. Audubon most probably will refrain from interference, since the incident was not cause by human activities.

For those who need to see the footage, search on Youtube for "Arlene Beech". That is Homebird's account with many clips. But watch on your own discretion!

RACHEL YOU ARE A ROCK AND YOU ROCK!

This is an excerpt of National Audubon Societie's latest blog post, inluding words from Steve Kress:
"We once again asked Steve Kress, who works on Hog Island and is Audubon's vice president of conservation and director of seabird restoration program, for his thoughts on this latest news. Here's what he wrote back in an email:
'There is a lot of insight about how individual predators learn new and ingenious ways to capture prey. What is surprising here is that Rachel seems to be learning new ways to defend her remaining chick. Predator-prey interfaces are often thought to be driven by selection favoring specific behaviors that then become genetically hard-wired, but if Rachel is changing her behavior by perching lower and closer to her chick, it appears she is learning from her experience and adapting her behavior to be a more successful parent. The camera is once again showing new and very exciting insight to bird behavior."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:22 pm 

:15heartbeat: I hope everyone watches the video all the way through and discusses Rachel's behavior toward Bailey after the attack. What do you think? Is it meant to keep her hunkered down from GHO or was it excitability as my dogs used to do and grab the nearest dog during an unexpected uproar? I finally learned not to reach in to separate big dogs fighting after receiving multiple bites through the years. :teehee:
:nervous: And wasn't that creepy seeing the GHO sitting in the tree staring @ them after one of the attacks!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:41 pm 

Read on site from followers, Steve has been building up the rails around the nest, even placing some sticks almost vertically to possibly stop GHO from swooping in and grabbing Bailey! :loveheart2:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:20 pm 

SWINWK wrote:
:15heartbeat: I hope everyone watches the video all the way through and discusses Rachel's behavior toward Bailey after the attack. What do you think? Is it meant to keep her hunkered down from GHO or was it excitability as my dogs used to do and grab the nearest dog during an unexpected uproar? I finally learned not to reach in to separate big dogs fighting after receiving multiple bites through the years. :teehee:
:nervous: And wasn't that creepy seeing the GHO sitting in the tree staring @ them after one of the attacks!

Swin, I thought it was horrible - I do think that Rachel was trying to get Bailey to lie flat and be quiet. Chat says that she couldn't see in the dark - maybe (like you said) she was excited and so worked up that she was just attacking anything that was moving.
Did you hear Bailey's strange 'voice' today? Wondering if it was the sound system on cam or was Bailey's throat harmed?
Hoping that the owl stays away tonight - but doubt it....

:furious:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:56 pm 

Bonbon, I am @ work and so far tonight the sound is not working. Hope it comes in later as it has in the past. I plan to watch the video in it's entirety in a few minutes ... so far, I have only scanned it @ intervals. I did see on chat last weekend that one of them (perhaps Bailey) sounded like a duck and she has done this in the past. Is that what it sounds like? Somebody contacted an expert (but, not from this site) who said the low tones are a warning to others.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:55 pm 

:taz: Rachel is hypervigilant tonight. She has been down in the nest twice now walking and puffing her feathers up and looking around. She even placed a stick on top of Bailey! :rage

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:11 am 

SWINWK wrote:

I wondered if Rachel was trying to get Bailey to keep quiet, perhaps so she could better hear if the owl approached again? Or maybe to keep the owl from hearing how distressed Bailey was? Poor thing had to be terrified!

I never have liked owls, they give me the creeps...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:03 am 

Well done fierce Rachel, amazing job :ohyes:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:56 am 

Hog Island, Maine

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:15 am 

Bailey seems to have an injured & swollen left eye lid

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:57 am 

SWINWK wrote:
Bonbon, I am @ work and so far tonight the sound is not working. Hope it comes in later as it has in the past. I plan to watch the video in it's entirety in a few minutes ... so far, I have only scanned it @ intervals. I did see on chat last weekend that one of them (perhaps Bailey) sounded like a duck and she has done this in the past. Is that what it sounds like? Somebody contacted an expert (but, not from this site) who said the low tones are a warning to others.

Yes! Swin, kinda like a sick duck - or like something is 'off' with the sound transmission!
9:55am - just heard her do it again.
I haven't been able to get a good look at her eye; hopefully, if it's injured, it'll heal quickly.

:flirty:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:54 pm 

:buzzybee: Bailey can't catch a break as she was attacked by yellow jackets today. Her left eye looked okay this eve and from the chat it must have improved since the GHO attack. Interestingly, Rachel did not leave Bailey's side from down in the nest last eve till 5am today! I'm sure Steve Kress will continue to be impressed with what Rachel has learned from the events and is applying in her struggle to keep Bailey safe. As he wrote this after observing her further down the perch than usual the night after the attack and now the 2nd post attack night she moved all the way into the nest! Excerpt from Steve Kress after first night post attack:

There is a lot of insight about how individual predators learn new and ingenious ways to capture prey. What is surprising here is that Rachel seems to be learning new ways to defend her remaining chick. Predator-prey interfaces are often thought to be driven by selection favoring specific behaviors that then become genetically hard-wired, but if Rachel is changing her behavior by perching lower and closer to her chick, it appears she is learning from her experience and adapting her behavior to be a more successful parent. The camera is once again showing new and very exciting insight to bird behavior." :girlyes:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:30 pm 

:15heartbeat: Rachel is on the perch, but with all the blasts from the fireworks, maybe the GHO will stay away for the time being!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:49 pm 

:loveheart2: The fireworks are over and Rachel has moved to the nest with Bailey!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:28 pm 

:flirty: Watching Rachel tonight, I can not stop thinking of some other great mothers/wives: Dorothy continuing to care for Silver as he remained on his back and on to fledge, Harriet removing the animal hide from Ozzie's throat and possibly saving his life and that very special "Lady" migrating from Scotland to Africa and back each season to raise all those babies with her mates for approximately 30 years!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:08 am 

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:12 am 

Whew! This was posted by mod on chat:
Wow, what a night again, osprey friends!
Rachel is showing an amazing behavior. She prevented a GHO attack, this night at about 1:30 am EDT! The owl wasn't even able to come close to the nest. Rachel flew an attack as soon as the owl showed up, next to the trees on the right hand side of the nest!
Rachel truly is a warrior queen!

:flirty:

Bailey looks good this morning... she's stretching, flapping, and eating (a lot!!!)
Rachel has been on duty on her perch.

:loveheart:

Here's a video that was posted with the above info. (I did NOT watch this one!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYkb1oSKw0A

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:15 pm 

:15heartbeat: It's okay bonbon! The owl never lands on the nest. I noticed Rachel is showing signs of fatigue during the video when she attempts landings. She even lands slightly below on the side of the nest and you can see her head pop up. As hypervigilant as she has been since the attacks, I assume she is not getting proper rest. She is really going all out. Last night Bailey was changing position in the nest and Rachel pounced on her immediately! Caught herself, but poor Bailey hunkered down and stayed in that position. Rachel is acting on every sound and movement. Bailey is 46 days old today and here is what one of the chatters with long experience @ this site said of Rachel's age:

She's been nesting here since at least 2011 -- probably is the Osprey who was also on the nest since 2008, and they are about four years old before starting nesting and rearing chicks, so she's most likely about 13 or 14.

EDIT :15heartbeat: And this is what a mod went on to say about Bailey's age:

Rachel truly is a warrior queen! Trust nature, trust ospreys!

Unfortunately, the yellow jackets (wasps!) are back too, this morning. Poor Bailey, what else does she has to endure? She is only 46 days old...

Little Bailey isn't ready for fledge yet, it takes about 10 more days. Her flight feathers aren't completely developed, she needs much more wingercizing and helicoptering to train her muscles.

:blinksun: That is a long way off with the fear each night brings for me! Not to mention what an eagle or yellow jackets can do during the day ...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 21  Next