Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: HOG ISLAND, ME~2016-2017
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:08 pm 

:rudired: Bailey update:

Poppy Mod • 15 hours ago
News from Bailey!

Laura from the Audubon Center for Birds of Prey, recently posted this update about our Bailey:

"We posted a few weeks ago the news that Bailey the Osprey (patient 799-17) was making it up to the high perches in the 55 foot rehab barn. Since then however, we've noticed that she cannot sustain the height to fly from one high perch to another. Instead, from the high perches she can only glide down to lower perches.

Throughout her rescue, transport and time in the clinic, Bailey has some broken wing and tail feathers. We try to prevent broken feathers throughout the rehabilitation process, but it happens. Since there is a possibility that these broken feathers are the reason she is unable to sustain height while flying, we imped Bailey's wing and tail feathers today.

Imping is a process of gluing a matching feather from a donor bird of the same species into a damaged feather. It's an old falconry process that's been around for hundreds of years, although it's become an easier and more efficient procedure through the use of modern materials.

Now that Bailey has a full tail and set of flight feathers, we'll be able to continue to monitor her flight and see if the new feathers make difference in her flying. More updates to come when we know more."

And here is the promised video clip with more explanations: "Feather Imping on Bailey the OspreyMany of you had questions about feather imping yesterday after we posted about the imping we had done on Bailey the Osprey. Here is a video from yesterday showing the process.

Imping is an old falconry technique that uses either molted feathers from a same species or in our case, when a bird patient passes, we can keep a full set of feathers from that donor bird. The process starts by cutting the end of the broken feather to ensure a clean edge. The same donor feather is lined up and trimmed to fit the space left in the broken feather. A small shaft drill is used to cleanly hallow out the inside of both feathers, then a small rod glued into the donor feather shaft. Historically, the rod would have been bamboo and we like to use wire, but small wooden splints or fiberglass pieces are also commonly used. Once the glue is dried, the other end of the rod can be glued into the broken feather shaft. And voila' a new perfect feather!"

:rudired: Link to video goes to someone on FB when I post it here. This happened to me once before here, but I was able to correct it. This time I honestly can't remember how I did it! :sum5:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:04 pm 

Here is a link to the video SWINWK

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:17 am 

:rudired: Aww thanks, kittenface! Very neat to see and so quick! Such a simple procedure that brings tremendous results!! :flirty:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:29 am 
Site Admin

Thanks SWINWK and KF!!

Imping is a good thing!! So happy they took the time to do that!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:02 am 

this is great. Our biologist, Gord, does it all the time. this is why he keeps deceased falcons etc. it has helped many of our falcons .

when osprey, falcons etc are young it is so important to protect the feathers. we use no metal cages.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: HOG ISLAND, ME~2016, 2017 & 2018
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:33 pm 

:scloud: The nest is snow covered and it's still coming down! Bailey update with photo from more than 2 weeks ago:

:loveheart2:

MJ Mod • 19 days ago
Updates about our lovely Bailey:

Update on Bailey the Osprey, patient 799-17: The imping of her feathers didn't get the outcome we thought we would get. We had hoped by now, two weeks later, that she'd be showing more signs of progress. Unfortunately, she is still having difficulties with high, sustained flights. We'll continue to keep you informed with any updates as they occur.
:girlsad3:

Hang in there Bailey!! :flirty:

Perhaps Bailey will join Smedley the osprey in captivity @ the Audubon Center for Birds of Prey! I just came from their FB page and watched a video about Smedley. They explained in 1998 he fell as a nestling and fractured his wing. His mate in captivity @ the center for 18 years was Jersey a female who passed away this previous summer. They are hoping for another osprey to join him!! At their site, they already have the most wonderful osprey available if she can never fly again!! This gives me more hope than when I first read the update on Bailey!! :flirty:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:45 pm 

:penguin: Great news, thank you so much for the update SWINWK

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:49 pm 

Bailey is so gorgeous.

I know some are not fans of birds in captivity but they do, do fine. look at our Buddy at Virginia and I know how Gord loves Vinny , our educator falcon. he even watches T.v. with Gord lol

good vibes for you BAiley. :flirty:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:20 am 

Bailey update with photo and x-rays posted by mod 1 week ago:

MJ Mod • 7 days ago
Updates about our lovely Bailey:

These x-rays are from Bailey the Osprey, patient 799-17. We posted a few weeks ago that she still wasn't flying high sustained flights, and nothing has changed since then. These x-rays help explain why (check out the photo of Bailey on the x-ray table).
Her right wing joint is enlarged from the way it healed. Bones healing have osteoblasts which are bone forming cells. These cells quickly add onto the injured bone to help it heal. Then after the healing occurs, another type of bone cell, called an osteoclast, reabsorbs the excess bone to get it back down to a normal size. However, in this case, there is still a lot of a callus left in Bailey's joint, when the osteoclasts should be done reabsorbing what they will.
We are concerned about her ability to rotate her 'wrist' with the callus that is left. Osprey migrate long distances and in order to hunt fish need to be able to hover, both which require perfect 'wrist' rotation.

As always we'll keep watching her and update when there is news.

Bailey exam photo on x-ray table :flirty:

Enlarged right wing joint x-ray

Left wing joint x-ray

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:33 pm 

thanks SWINK

so glad they are keeping a close eye. if she cannot go long distances etc. I would rather she be an education bird

hats off to them

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:43 pm 
Site Admin

:thanku

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:27 am 
Site Admin

From FB:

Update on Bailey..

After careful consideration we’ve been forced to make a very tough decision about the future of “Bailey” osprey, patient 799-17. She’s had extensive rehabilitation time and it is clear that she will never be able to hover, migrate or survive on her own in the wild because of her injuries. Amidst this sad news we have been comforted by knowing that there is a happy outcome for her. We’re quite pleased to announce that Bailey will be staying with us at the Audubon Center for Birds of Prey and be a part of our family for the rest of her life.
    At the Center she has recently been moved into her new enclosure with her new roommate, Smedley! Like Bailey, Smedley had a rough beginning, falling out of his nest and fracturing his wing in numerous places when he was just 3 weeks old. He was housed with a female osprey companion for 18 years, but she recently passed away from old age leaving Smedley alone. For more about Smedley check out this video (https://www.facebook.com/AudubonCenterf ... 739936999/).
    From day one Smedley was very smitten with Bailey, running over to her as soon as she was placed in her new home. She is quickly learning to appreciate Smedley’s favorite activity, getting a shower each morning from the person cleaning their enclosure. Dinner is served nightly with an array of various Florida fish species, all of which Bailey devours. She even gets an occasional live fish caught in Lake Sybelia, the lake that her new home overlooks.
    Under human care Bailey will be free from any predators and receive a lifetime of room, board and yearly medical physical care. This along with healthy food means that osprey in a captive setting tend to live a lot longer, between 20-25 years usually. Bailey has had a difficult life up until now and she is already settled into her new life. We’re excited that she’ll have a good home with us for all the years to come!
    The Osprey enclosure is viewable to visitors during Center operating hours, so we invite you to come visit and help welcome Bailey to her new forever home!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:37 am 

:flirty:
I remember just a couple years ago, most places were saying Osprey can't be educational ambassadors because there is to much stress. So most were euthanized if they couldn't be released.
So glad that they are giving them more of a chance now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:33 am 

:penguin: :1snowmancarrot: :1sleigh: :5winter5: :1snowflake2: :3snowflake: :4snowflake: :5snowflake: :6snowflake: :8snowflake: :15heartbeat: :loveheart2: :loveheart: :biggrin: :loveshow: :sum9: :girlyes: :hapdance: :ohyes: :attention: :sunsmile: :egg11: :egg13: :egg19: :egg5: :egg6: :egg7: :egg8: :sham4: :shamrock5: :shamrock1: :shamrock2: :sham3: :corkpop: :1val: :7val: :5val: :spingirl: :dancinggirls: :bughug: :superstar: :flowers :bonnet: :yip :party2: :bravo :wow: :mmd: :hithere: :usa :cheer :cheerlead: :toast :boogie :rainbow :woohoo: :bow :thanku :thankyou :wave

:dancing3: Oh thank you Sky for bringing this news to us!! And just think kittenface,the whole time we have been reading this about osprey ... Smedley was thriving in captivity for 18 years! I know the biologist and those concerned @ Hog Island this past season, gained insights on the osprey that in fact was sometimes in direct opposition to what they had learned prior to this specific nest!! And a lot of that credit goes to Rachel's behaviors rearing Bailey during and after the multiple challenges suffered @ their nest!! We love you Bailey!! :flirty: :dancegirl:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:39 pm 

thank you maryanne.

glad he will remain there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:08 am 

This photo was taken 2/28/18 by Va girl who went to the Audubon Center and visited Bailey!

:flirty: Photo by Va girl!!

VA girl • 2 hours ago
I am posting a photo I took today when I went to the Audubon Center for Birds of Prey. The osprey on the perch is Bailey, and the one on the ground is Smedley, her new companion. She didn't move much while we were there, but she is not used to her new situation yet. The other raptors there were quite active and vocal, so I think in time Bailey will be, too.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:43 pm 

:eggthumb: Chart for past return dates of Rachel and Steve:

Countdown Timer:

Excerpt of Poppy message
from 10 hours ago:

Work on Hog Island might not start until the end of this month, depending on the weather conditions. Eric and his assistant will return first, preparing the docks for the boats to land. Probably, he will take down most of both nests to get rid of the yellow jackets and last season’s debris. FOHI opening week with many volunteers to get the camp in shape for the visitors will start on May 16.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:15 am 

:clap: Steve!! :clap:

Poppy Mod • 2 hours ago
Hello, osprey friends!

Oh happy day! Steve touched down at 5:43 am EDT
This is Homebird’s clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... h95aJud7Hk

ID: Sexy legs - check, head marking – check, chest markings – check!

Happy birthday, Teezee! What a special birthday gift for you!

Let the season and the party get started, friends!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:09 am 

Steve's furious arrival...well done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... h95aJud7Hk

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:31 am 

:flirty: As soon as his feet hit the nest, he looked around and began calling for Rachel!!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 21  Next