Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: HOG ISLAND, ME~2016-2017
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:24 pm 

thought I saw the fish but was not sure. so great

thanks DEF :15heartbeat:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:42 pm 

Can anyone tell if this is Rachel?

Whoever she is, she is being very aggressive with Bailey. It looks like she is trying to force Bailey out of the nest. Poor Bailey is just standing there shaking with her head hanging down.

This is bad! I can't believe Rachel would act this way toward her own child. Could it be the female who previously used this nest?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:55 pm 

Ok, the adult female is gone now. This went on for 20-25 minutes. Bailey was lying down in the nest when the adult landed. They looked at each other for a while, then when Bailey stood up the adult started to attack. She would jump toward her, flapping her wings and try to push Bailey to the edge of the nest. She even pecked at her a couple of times and bit at her shoulders.

Bailey appears to be fine. Poor thing has had a rough day!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:52 pm 

About an hour ago they retrieved Bailey from the nest. No word on what the plans are now.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:52 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks vlu...I've been trying to keep up with Bailey as well...I guess they didn't expect Dottie to return and give Bailey such a hard time?

well, they have taken her off the nest for the night!!

From everything I've read, they don't know, yet where they will put her tomorrow!!

These guys are just the best making sure she's ok!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:45 am 

poor Rachel also. found her chick at boathouse, brought her fish and now nest female returns. I think they were going to try and put young one back in nest if they had another person , and then spray nest or wasps.

super people here.

hope for best outcome as it will fledge soon

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:44 am 

Oh dear, what a turn of events. But what great bunch of people to go back and get her out of there.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:33 am 

What a sad year for Hog Island and its fans...
I saw comparison pics posted on FB, and (moot point now) the attacking osprey did not look like "Dottie" (Boat House female). Pics of the males were not available for comparison.

There's always next year.....

:girlsad3:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:42 am 

I can't find the comment now to copy and paste here, but apparently last night when Eric (Bailey's rescuer) saw that Bailey was being attacked in the Boat House nest, he built a platform with a nest and placed it next door to Rachel and Steve's nest. Bailey spent the night there. It is not in view of either camera, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:07 pm 

I remember they said that was one of the steps they would consider., also, s he wa sthere alone. HOpe all is O.K.
but we know they are watching .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:56 pm 

Quote:
Hog Island Osprey (Maine)
Dear Osprey Community: "This was another very eventful day for the Hog Island ospreys. The wasp nest in the osprey nest continued to be a problem and eventually Bailey had enough, backed too far to the edge and tumbled out of the nest. Eric Snyder found Bailey under the nest (unhurt) and a discussion began as to next steps.
Putting Bailey back in the nest was not a good solution because of the wasps and likely reoccurrence of another tumble. So, we moved Bailey to the nearby boathouse nest, assuming that Rachel and Steve would find her. As expected, Rachel and Steve quickly found Bailey and even provided food at the boat house. But then a big surprise! Another female osprey (likely it was Dottie- the female of the boat house pair) showed up and attacked Bailey as an intruder on her nest. We are happy that Dottie is becoming defensive of her nest as this bodes well for another pair next summer, but clearly we had not found the solution that we hoped for.
On seeing this, we consulted with Dr. Rob Bierregaard and decided to move Bailey off of the boat house nest and onto a new platform. Eric quickly built a new platform similar to the platforms that we have used previously and then he fashioned a stick nest with a soft confer lining within the platform. The new nest platform was placed on top of Hog Island’s Porthole Lodge just as it was becoming completely dark. The location is close to the original nest and has a commanding view of the ocean. It does not have a camera associated with it, so Hog Island staff will monitor from the ground and report on events of the next few days to the community.
I greatly appreciate all of the deep concern and good wishes for the Hog Island ospreys." -Steve Kress

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:28 pm 

https://blog.explore.org/hog-island-osprey-update/

here is upate. Bailey is doing well in new nest and parents are clsoe by

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:53 am 
Site Admin

:loveshow:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:12 pm 

Posted approx. 3pm:
Dear osprey friends:
I spent a few hours today watching Bailey at her nest and I am pleased to share the news that at 1:05 PM EDT, one of Bailey’s parents swooped into the Porthole platform with a sculpin-shaped fish and delivered it to Bailey. Bailey ate the fish without aid from the parent, who sat in the nest with Bailey for about 15 minutes. Toward the end of the feeding, the parent fed the chick. I was watching with Eric at the time and because of the angle and lighting, we could not be sure of which parent it was, but it is certainly good to know that Bailey is being fed and looking very good with the new view of the world. The position of the Porthole platform offers a clean fledging path to the sea and Bailey is eyeing the water as wing exercising continues with two strong wings that will soon greet the wind and Maine sky. I have photos and will send them later. My best, Steve

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:48 pm 

:sum9: Thanks bonbon! :comp What timing this past weekend for the computer @ work to go down. Thanks to the ladies there providing me access to their equipment, I did get sneak peeks to keep up with the unfolding events here! Hope things stay settled down! Just saw a video by Arlene Beech (not able to embed) of Rachel bringing a fish to eat in the middle of the night (2:57 AM) ... the close up shows she is wet ... so much for osprey's poor night vision ... we are really learning a lot of new information of what ospreys are truly capable of ... I love, love, love osprey!!! :flirty: :flirty: :flirty: :flirty: :flirty: :flirty: :flirty: :flirty: :flirty: :flirty: :flirty: :flirty: :flirty: :flirty: :flirty: :flirty: :flirty:

:dancegirl:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:28 am 

I'm only getting highlights on the cam right now ...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:25 pm 

SWINWK wrote:
I'm only getting highlights on the cam right now ...

That camera feed is actually broadcast on two different YouTube channels. One is meant for the ospreys and the other is for sunsets . In the description of the sunset channel it mentions showing a highlights reel at times. Maybe that's the channel you were watching?

Between those two channels and the boat house cam, I didn't know where I was half the time!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:00 pm 

:sunconfused: I didn't know that v, but I didn't go to you tube, I took the link from page 1. Oh, oh ... they have mentioned migration for the 1st time: Regarding Rachel's sleeping behavior Don't worry, when Rachel sleeps at her usual perch, during the night. She arrives there between midnight and 1 am EDT usually. Rachel considers Bailey as fledged, however, she will continue to deliver fish to her during the day. And Steve, too. In recent years, Steve stayed close to the fledglings, when they spent their nights off their home base. And he will keep on doing it, when Rachel starts her migration. Bailey is in good hands - err - wings and feet! I can't go there just yet! :nosun:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:00 pm 

:sunsmile: Update from Eric! New photos @ site. Hello, osprey peeps!

I have a new eyewitness report and some new pictures from Eric:

"Thank you for your note, and thank you to the entire community for their support. Unfortunately, while building the nest and moving Bailey I did not take any pictures, but here are some that were taken during and after the event. The nest had a large base of spruce sticks and branches woven together. A large mat of green spruce in the center made a nice dish for Baily to stand or sit upon. I hope that the family will rearrange or add to make the nest comfortably their own. I have been keeping an eye on Bailey and indeed she seems to be doing well. We are all hoping to see her take flight soon. Best, Eric" :loveheart2:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:50 pm 

:sunsmile: Vlu328, you were asking a while back on how best to tell differences in male and female osprey. Check out the necklace Mrs. G of Glaslyn has compared to her hubby and 3 sons. The most incredible one I've ever seen. It's the 2nd cam cap in this series by Ferenz on 8/2/17 @ 0617! :flirty: :dancegirl:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next