Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 428 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: COLUMBUS ~ JUNE 2016
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:19 pm 
Global Moderator

Please continue your Columbus posts here.

ODNR Cam link:

Alternate Cam link via 10TV:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: COLUMBUS ~ MAY 2016
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:13 am 

My electricity has been off all evening so this is the first chance I've had to report on this evening's fledgling hunt. I got downtown around 5:15pm. No signs of any of the falcons at first. I stayed mainly on the statehouse front lawn as that was where I spotted them this morning. Eventually I ran into Rose & we watched together. We did spot what is most likely a fledgling on one of the upper ledges of the Riffe Tower, which is directly to the south of the Huntington Towers. The same little head kept peeking over the edge & I did see a second falcon "buzz" that ledge a few times, even landed once but took off again quickly (probably was set upon by a hungry, screaming fledgling!) :eggbounce:

I spotted what I assume is an adult flying west toward the river but lost sight of it behind a building. I stayed downtown until 7:00pm. When I left the remaining nestling was standing at the nest end of the ledge looking out over the city. It was pretty quiet downtown by the time I was ready to jump on the bus home and I didn't hear any kakking or food begging. Someone mentioned that the remaining nestling seems to be looking toward the right alot. The Huntington Towers are to the right, so possibly lil fluffy was looking at one of her siblings.

I didn't see any "action" around the Huntington Tower this evening but I am fairly sure that at least one of our beloved fledglings was on the roof this morning. As they seem to stay put for a day or so after their first flight I am assuming that the roof fledgling remained there. So one on Huntington, one on Riffe....only one still unaccounted for- but possibly also on top of the Huntington Tower as I did see two land there this morning. Just not sure that both stayed as I also saw an adult "buzz" the Huntington roof a few times and repeatedly take a break on the second "t" of the Huntington sign (which is at the top of the north face of the north tower).

The security guys that patrol the statehouse and lawn have been notified that the babies have fledged, so they agreed to keep an eye out for any downed fledglings. I will try to get an early start tomorrow morning so I can spend a half an hour or so on fledgling watch before work & will spend some time after work as well. I am off work on Friday & plan to go down during the day so I can visit the observation deck on the 40th floor of the Rhodes Tower. Rose says that the view is amazing & since the Rhodes Tower is so tall, it allows a good view of the roofs of the surrounding skyscrapers. Hopefully little fluffy will stay put for a few more days, at least until we can get some level of confirmation on the well being of her three siblings. :5val:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:04 am 

thank you to all who are down watching fo r the young ones. here is hoping they stay safe. :15heartbeat:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:06 am 

skygirlblue wrote:
Recorded on May 30...and nothing particulary exciting other than the fact that 4 kids are still on the ledge...so, that makes it special...at least to me!!

Here's hoping all the kids are safe and that they eventually make it back up to the ledge to check in with all of us!!

so, for posterity!!

wonderful SGB :7val:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:55 am 

bev. wrote:
skygirlblue wrote:
Recorded on May 30...and nothing particulary exciting other than the fact that 4 kids are still on the ledge...so, that makes it special...at least to me!!

Here's hoping all the kids are safe and that they eventually make it back up to the ledge to check in with all of us!!

so, for posterity!!

wonderful SGB :7val:

:eggthumbup: :loveheart2: :hatchegg: :loveheart:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:07 am 

About 10 minutes ago I caught a juvie lifting off and flying away. I don't know if it was the last juvie to fledge or if it was one of yesterday's fledges stopping by for a visit. Either way, it was a nice, controlled lift-off!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:33 am 

I've had the cam up for about 30 minutes and I am not seeing or hearing anyone. So maybe that was the last fledge VLU!!! I do hope they all come back for a visit. Fly safely little ones......

:7val:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:39 am 

:eggthumbup: I agree. I just signed on about 10 min ago and I'm seeing a very empty, quiet ledge. I believe the last little sweetie has gone to join her sibs. Kudos everyone, who are taking the time to report from the ground. These reports are great. You are now our eyes and ears. Happy juvie hunting! Once the kids are proficient flyers, hopefully we'll see some visits to the nest ledge.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:52 am 
Global Moderator

Wow-I missed a lot these past few days (on a short holiday)

Many thanks for all the posts-3 in one day!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: COLUMBUS ~ JUNE 2016
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:43 am 
Site Admin

I cannot believe I missed the fledge....opened the cam at 6 am and she was already gone...that little stinker!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:47 am 

skygirlblue -
Do you have it on tape?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:54 am 
Site Admin

Johnisaly wrote:
skygirlblue -
Do you have it on tape?

:grwelcom johnisaly!!!

I'm looking now, but I think I totally missed this one... :furious:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:57 am 
Site Admin

vlu328 wrote:
About 10 minutes ago I caught a juvie lifting off and flying away. I don't know if it was the last juvie to fledge or if it was one of yesterday's fledges stopping by for a visit. Either way, it was a nice, controlled lift-off!

woo hoo...you must have seen the last fledge!! did you manage to get it recorded? (I hope)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:03 am 

skygirlblue wrote:
Johnisaly wrote:
skygirlblue -
Do you have it on tape?

Thanks for the welcome. I have been lurking here for a couple of years: finally got registered.
Bummer. I watched live as #1, #2, & #3 left yesterday morning. I missed #4 by 5 minutes this morning. I watched her all night sitting on the nest box camera housing. I had to go into another room just before 6 am for 5 minutes. When I came back she was gone.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:16 am 
Global Moderator

Johnisaly - Welcome to BCAW :dancegirl:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:17 am 
Site Admin

Johnisaly wrote:
skygirlblue wrote:
Johnisaly wrote:
skygirlblue -
Do you have it on tape?

Thanks for the welcome. I have been lurking here for a couple of years: finally got registered.
Bummer. I watched live as #1, #2, & #3 left yesterday morning. I missed #4 by 5 minutes this morning. I watched her all night sitting on the nest box camera housing. I had to go into another room just before 6 am for 5 minutes. When I came back she was gone.

So happy you decided to join!! I know how you feel...for the past few mornings, the recorder has been set to start at 5:30 am...so, what did I do last night? Set the recorder for 6 am...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, again..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:22 am 

I walked around downtown a little this morning for about 20 minutes, took pictures of the various buildings in case my bins did not pick up on any fledges - I saw nothing although I thought I heard a few screams - very frustrating though - at least I did not find anyone on the ground - I can't believe the last stinker flew off before 6 this morning. we thought it might be this morninng but not that early - I am glad that someone saw it though

I hope to be able to take a few hours off from work this afternoon and go up to the observation floor of the Rhodes to check out the top of the Huntington and other buildings and just sit and listen and watch - we are supposed to get rain maybe late tonight and tomorrow I am sorry I don't have a better report from the ground this morning. Mike, if you are reading our forum, we would really appreciate your help in finding the juvies - thank you in advance thank you Perk for watching with me and on your own - I so much appreciate your help especially after watching by myself - I hope Pearl will be able to watch soon also - everyone is welcome if you have time - the more the merrier

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:18 am 
Site Admin

Update from Donna...there was a rescue yesterday!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:31 am 

I never thought I would say this - I miss the screaming - it feels so empty - we go through this empty nest feeling every year. I can't wait to get back downtown to watch again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:35 am 

I wonder where the downed bird was picked up? late in the day? I knew that I should have stayed longer last evening - I would love to know where it was found.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 428 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next