Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 296 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: EDMONTON, ALBERTA (WEBER & AGRIUM REDWATER)~2017
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:08 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the morning report, Westend...I hate to hear that White is going to Pembina...no second chances? Such a bummer..

Anyway, from the DVR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:25 pm 

july52017 weber

just getting ready to let Peter come home and get some rest. thanks Westend

normally white would get a second chance, as he looks really good and our rehab lady came and checked him out and and Peter brought him home. this morning peter took him to the rehab from our house today, just to get him hydrated and a good feed, before Gord picks him at 10am( it was hot yesterday so he was all day without food etc) ( the rehab lady (patti) phoned us after she left and thought about it again and decided maybe he should get this top up.

H e did not budge all day and either did Peter. The adults flew around and he screamed when he saw them. We figured when it go t cooler he would make his move. He was so low, and did not get any height when he decided to fly, and went right to Weber doors( west) ( road side) and then veered a little left and almost went in a tree, and then veered north east and got a bit of height to top of parkade. He could not be left there , as he could end u p in traffic.
He just was not ready and I am thinking one of girls accidentally bumped him off. wont be the first time.

I know a lot do not like the idea of hacking, and we would love to see him fly here, but this may be Gords last year of hacking( money) andn what a great place for our white band to be. where nature intended. so anything that comes to ground will go out there , so I pray our girls wait and be smart. we have never had problems with males here but we have never had 3 females.

will try and get some photos posted tonight. still got to get that program for pciutres going.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:53 pm 

these are from July 4

A big shout out to West end for spotting him to begin with, as we would never expected him to be where he was

Peter had to sit close to White male yesterday ,but also be careful to not really be seen , so he followed the shade of a tree. for a awhile Peter was in his truck ,when white was at very end ,but as he moved , Peter did not want to move truck in front of him and knew he had to be ready to leap. Peter was able to take a few snaps with is phone. We are always careful not to disturb with our camera, when flight is a possibility. that is why you find we do not take many pciutres ,once kids are in air as we know if we are taking pictures, we are missing the big picture. You get tunnel vision.

White band at one time did go into inside floor so Peter scurried up as quickly as he could yet carefully as he could. The little monkey went behind a big barricade , so Peter waited for him to reappear. well reappear he did, he went back up on ledge
a big thank you to the construction workers for not working where he was. He even went on top of their makeshift lunch room by ledge , so Peter had to let them know ,so they would be very careful.

What could have been a disaster , was averted by his capture.

I should have done slideshow but wanted to try this program and I am clueless still

the last picture are of White being checked by Patti , our rehab lady. we are so fortunate to have her. she will come out whenever we c call

slideshow doing slideshow this will take forever. :egg11:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:49 am 

weber july5

today was a very quiet day. Doctor court picked up White male. I have 2 pciutres of him in box. He won the lottery today. He is alive and he gets to fly where they are intended to be. We will go out there later this summer to watch.

click on images to enlarge

At 10:35pm all 3 females have turned for the night. We just watch where adults are on roof, and we now chicks are there below them

very hot this week. they will enjoy the breeze tonight

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:55 am 

agrium july5

we can hardly wait to see the chicks HOpe they are banded today.

thanks for all you hard work Dale.

here are pictures dale sent me. I love the last one :egg11:

click on pictures to enlarge

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:16 am 
Site Admin

bev. wrote:
agrium july5

we can hardly wait to see the chicks HOpe they are banded today.

thanks for all you hard work Dale.

here are pictures dale sent me. I love the last one :egg11:

click on pictures to enlarge

:teehee: :teehee: :teehee:

That's the strangest falcon I have ever seen!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:49 am 

WEber
Nice morning to sit out and watch. Adien was there before me. Funny driving up to a area and find a person sitting in a chair of the side of the road. Only a birder would have noticed her. Found 2 right away. Decide to do a walk about around the building. Just as I got back #3 popped out on to the ledge. this day all of them are facing the bad road. That will mean nothing tell breakfast comes and where ever the food goes they will move. :teehee: Both parents were trying to scoop some breakfast , but it was 3 misses. One little bird got away and landed in a tree right near us. Sadly after awhile it tried to fly off and head first into the window. It escaped with its live form a falcon, but glass never gives.
Stay safe our cubby girls.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:23 am 

july6 Weber report

well these girls need to wait a few days but are determined to go. they are the roof of the ( blue and Yellow) box, flapping like crazy, and doing short flights from one spot on ledge to another. the adults are doing fly bys and we are telling adults , it is not time yet.

as I said they are determined to go and so just after 6pm last night, yellow did just that,. B72 was on one of the letters below roof ledge with a small morsel of food, Green girl came over on another letter and grabbed a morsel. whether is was to be for kids or not, we will never know. Yellow , either slipped or went down to letters on purpose. chased Green girl off and then walked over to B72 and he flew off.

Peter said yellow was eating a morsel( she loves to eat) and either slipped or decided to fly off. She flew around the building and B72 bumped her up as she came around front and she almost made it to top of roof. but she hit the building with either her feet or??? Peter said it was hard to tell, so she went around again and landed on parkade. Mike and Peter were to do a rescue. At first PEter thought she had made it to a ledge. So when he went to check there sne was on the parkade floor.and so he motioned for MIke to bring the crate.

They threw the covers over yellow band and it was not to be, She escaped and quickly went through the grate on the parkade and flew over to a lower building. ( Peter was so upset with himself as he felt he should have been closer. ) she was a bit wobbly on that flight but probably tired. Peter does not t think she was hurt.

so they watched her and she stayed there for awhile and then went to a higher part of the roof. She was safe , where she was . But no, she had to make another move and ended up the evening on a telephone pole.

she is higher than parkade , which is good. It will all depend on what she does. Ourfriends htere know where she is and were to keep an eye out

July7

so Peter is already down there,so will be West end and Adiene.

I am hoping she is safe ,as Peter will blame himself if anything happens to her now.

Our first fledge watch this happened to us. the male escaped and spent night on a column of a parkade .next morning he was still there and the adult male flew him out ad onto College plaza. Hopefully that will reign true here.
fingers crossed.

I must add I have lost all respect for photographers. Aa Peter wen t up to do a rescue today a photographer kept getting closer to the youngster and caused her to fly. If she does not make it, it is on this photographers head. I have never seen the ogres come out of the woodwork till this year. We worry about DDt , worry about photographers that will go to no end to get a picture They have no care about the bird, just their damn pciutre

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:29 am 

Weber
Morning is hot at 6 am. Read text and yellow is in the same spot as last night. Adein came and not a chick in sight on the roof. Not a peep. And Dad was on the sign and Greeen up on her antenna above the box. Man is it hot. We never had a sighting at all . When Peter arrived Adien and I did a walk about the building and past yellow, then down the lane to see if the kids where on the other side.( don't ask what direction because this building sits crazily and the road curves. Finnally a tail feathers poke over the side. 2 counted for, come on # 3. Back we went to the viewing area. Peter and Adien went to check the top of the parkade in case blue was there. No, luck. After a while dad and mom went out and came back and really could not hear the chicks making noise. So, I went for another tour and hoped that the parents would fly off and the girls would make more noise. Really only heard one on the roof. When I was walking back to the area Marge stopped by got out and looked up and 2 where on the roof. Good luck charm there. And of she went to work. Before I left blue got onto the roof of the nest box. She never showed her face most of the morning and know has to show off. LOL
Time to say goodbye to Peter and tell him to sit in the shade of the tree. Bev, would have wanted me to tell him this. :biggrin:
Good luck sweet girls, fly high or just stay put.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:39 am 

weber july7

just a quick update. 2 are flying. Yellow finally last night made it back to roof. It was a harrowing day for her.

Green made 3 strong flights . blue is only one left to fly.

here is video of green at box last night

lots to share so little time right now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:52 am 
Site Admin

Bev., I have another terrible photographer story for you. Can't remember which eagle nest, but the info was posted on Facebook a few days ago from a fledge monitor. We all know that newly fledged eagles rely heavily on "road kill"...most good Samaritans who monitor, pull the carcass from the road. This monitor observed photographers pulling the carcass out of the weeds, back to the side of the road. Then they set up their chairs and waited to catch their perfect pic. Sure enough, here came one of the newly fledged eagles to eat. They got their pics, but the eagle was almost hit by a van when it was startled by traffic and flew in the wrong direction. Thankfully it was not hit and flew away. The monitor ended her account with that. No idea if she reported them, confronted them or what...

Such a shame...and there's no way to know how many times these photographers had done this before.

Carolyn, thanks for the history of Elizabeth!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:20 pm 

yesw, SGb. I will look at wildlife pictures in a different light now, wondering what the poor bird or animal had to sufer , for them to get their perfect shot. It is a good thing I was not there as i would have pulled that carcass back and really sounded off.

WEber

we just came back form WEber and Peter will take a break as we have a rough day in our personal lives. some people kindly stepped up to the plate to make it possible for us to take a step away

But so far all 3 girls are flying well. Yellow had another 4 rough hours as she slipped into the V part of the W on weber and could not get out. Her appetite is going to get her into more trouble , is she does nto smarten up :egg11:

I will have pictures to post tomorrow. Some real nice one, and not taken at the expense of our falcons

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:24 pm 

Weber
Just as I parked my truck, I could see movement on the W. I saw one chick on the ledge. I looked with bi and looked at a different angle and sure enough it is a falcon wedged in it. Facing the building and not able to turn. It was trying hard at times to break free, is it stuck or just scared to come out of it backwards. A parent and a chick did a great flight to the west and back. Just before 7:30 Adien , tolded me to look at the one on the end . She thought it was going to come off. Right then and there off it came. And girl did she fly around the building 3 times , but was losing altitude and landed safely with 9 point landing Peter thinks it was blue. Because green was flying well yesterday. But, I saw green tag. Who ever it is, she was enjoying herself in the windows.
Stay safe girls

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:36 am 

Weber
Blue was picked up after not flying well, Saturday night. I was not out Sunday , but it is hot here.
Monday morning on chick on the C , again and it was yellow. Eating something patent fly off many times trying to get it to fly . 7 fly onto the letters and off. Green popped up onto the ledge and decided to chase the parent around. Green got bored and landed back on the roof. Yellow final came of the C and flew around the building missing the landing and back she came to land high on the round antenna on the roof. After awhile , the parent went to the C and started to eat the left overs the yellow left. Just before 8 green flew off, just as the wind picked up and she could not make it back and missed a landing on one side flew out and around and landed lower level safely.
Second parent finally left the corner and went up top. Peter is there and that is all for my shift.
Thunder storms are coming in today.
Stay safe yellow and green.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:44 am 

Westend old bird wrote:
Weber
Just as I parked my truck, I could see movement on the W. I saw one chick on the ledge. I looked with bi and looked at a different angle and sure enough it is a falcon wedged in it. Facing the building and not able to turn. It was trying hard at times to break free, is it stuck or just scared to come out of it backwards. A parent and a chick did a great flight to the west and back. Just before 7:30 Adien , tolded me to look at the one on the end . She thought it was going to come off. Right then and there off it came. And girl did she fly around the building 3 times , but was losing altitude and landed safely with 9 point landing Peter thinks it was blue. Because green was flying well yesterday. But, I saw green tag. Who ever it is, she was enjoying herself in the windows.
Stay safe girls

More info
It was yellow that slide off the C and it was her in the W. You would think about not landing there. But that is the food stash area. So, I guess that is here own buffet table now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:40 am 

july 11 weber

thank you west end fo r your report and for coming in the mornings :15heartbeat:

I am so far behind but here is a slideshow of Yellow on July 7 when photographer spooked him dn he ended up in this tree and then telephone pole. Peter took with his phone from a safe distance, she got chased off tree by ravens. she had a rough few days but is so strong now. WOW

I wil catch up as I have pictures Jean and Trish sent me of green and blue . soon

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:06 am 

just a quick report. this is fromJuly9 I put it in U of A

blue had to be rescued last night. I am glad thy found her. She went out of sight and they went searching. first time around no Blue, but she appeared second time around. Peter thinks she tried to land on a ledge north side and missed and came down low on an obstacle.

there was concern yesterday as she just could to get a lot of height. I think she just needs to be cooling her wings for a bit longer. Peter said she was huge and could her tail could barley fit in our container, thank goodness MIke was there with Peter as the two are a good team.

she was checked out by our trusty vet , who comes down ot the site. she was a bit concerned about one of her wings. but it was X-rayed and appears fine.

Steve will pick her up today and take her to the Pembina and put her in with the rescued Bell female.. blue was a loner so this will be nice for her. Steve will monitor her to make sure she is fine.

I just personally feel she was not ready.

the other 2 are doing fine. they were dive bombing their parents this morning so hopefully they stay high.

I have a lot of nice pi cutres to post but not till later today or tomorrow , as i have grand kids with me

I want to thank the many people that stepped up to the plate yesterday and pulled extra shifts so Peter and I could have some hours for some down time and to be with our thoughts. :15heartbeat: :15heartbeat: :15heartbeat: It has been a very tough few days for us

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:21 pm 

Weber
Ok, most of my mornings is a watch and wait scenario. But, this morning was different very different. I found Green Girl on the corner and tricel on other corner window. And a very angry girl walking along on the ledge beneath, mom. Scream for murder. Where the other chick was have no clue. Only green was scream and could not hear a pip out of yellow. After listen at the crows right behind me, they decided to take on the flacons. Oh my God, my heart stopped and we both ran to the middle of the parking lot and watched Green Girl and Dad take on the 4 crows. But, with all the commotion I thought it was one of the chicks in the fight . Was I relived to see that it was the parents. After fa few minutes 3 came flacons came of the roof and flew right above us for several minutes. Reach out and touch one. lol One was so big that I thought it was Green Girl , but after landing on the roof it was one of the girls. actually it was both girls flying with mom.. Off Green Girl went and out of view. Dad was up on the antenna. Watching over the girls. In comes mom and breakfast is served. Scream match beings as who gets to eat first. LOL
When I left there was no parent on the building and one chick in view for Peter.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:58 pm 

thank you so Much WEstend

Green girl has finally gotten her moms eng on for ravens. I was wondering when it would click in LOL

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:02 pm 

here are some pictures of Trish,s n July7 when yellow accidentally fledged.
3 girls before yellow fledged

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 296 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next