Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: UNDER CONSTRUCTION--PLEASE DO NOT POST HERE! THANKS!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:48 pm 

BUCKEYE
(1996-2009)

(photo by Scott Wright)

TRIBUTE FROM LETTERS UNLIMITED

Remembering Buckeye, the peregrine falcon who made the Terminal Tower his home
By Other Voices
December 05, 2009, 4:02AM

For some Greater Clevelanders, Buckeye, the peregrine falcon, was the equivalent of our "national bird." For years, we watched with joy as he arrived, thrived, mated and raised numerous chicks from his Terminal Tower eyrie. We observed his flights, death-defying dives on pigeons and airborne courtship maneuvers amid the canyons of downtown, and watched close-ups on the Internet as he rested or fed his chicks on their nest platform, thanks to the Natural History Museum's falcon-cam.

Buckeye did his part to save his species from extinction and proved that urban buildings could provide viable falcon habitat. He was a beautiful bit of wildness in the midst of our metropolitan existence. He will be missed.

Peggy Patch, Shaker Heights

TRIBUTE FROM METRO - CLEVELAND.COM

Cleveland's peregrine falcon perishes after 12 years nesting on the Terminal Tower
By James F. McCarty,The Plain Dealer
November 23, 2009, 7:00PM
Buckeye, a male peregrine falcon, sired 34 checks with two females during his 12 years spent prowling the urban canyons of downtown Cleveland from a roost on the Terminal Tower. He died last week at age 14.Buckeye, believed to be one of the country's oldest and most prolific peregrine falcons, died last week after apparently striking a building near its urban nest on the Terminal Tower.

A woman walking at the intersection of West Third Street and Huron Avenue discovered the injured male on the sidewalk and called Harvey Webster, director of wildlife resources at the Cleveland Museum of Natural History.

Webster said the unidentified woman managed to scoop up the bird and rush it to the museum. But Buckeye was dead by the time she arrived, said Webster, the overseer of the falcons' nesting box 12 floors above Public Square.

"He had a heck of a life and an incredible run during his 12 years on the Terminal Tower," Webster said.

Buckeye was 14 years old, having hatched in 1996 atop the Rhodes Office Tower in downtown Columbus. Officers with Ohio's Division of Natural Resources attached an identifying leg band on the chick before he left the nest.

As an adult, he flew north and spent two years on the Case Western Reserve University campus before pairing up with a female, Zenith, on the downtown Cleveland skyscraper.

In 2001, a second female, hatched in Pittsburgh and identified only as S/W, arrived in Cleveland and killed Zenith. She then joined Buckeye at the nest.

Between the two females, Buckeye sired 34 peregrine chicks, an amazing accomplishment for a species that was endangered for decades, Webster said.

Buckeye was getting old, but he hadn't missed a beat incubating the eggs or providing food for his chicks, Webster said.

Webster speculated that Buckeye's fatal collision might have come during an aerial battle with another male. The falcons can dive at up to 200 mph.

The males may have been battling for S/W's affections. The past weekend, downtown falcon watchers had observed S/W in the company of a new male. He has a leg band, but no one has been able to read its identification numbers yet.

Webster said Cleveland's falcon enthusiasts aren't as willing as S/W to adopt the interloper. They had become attached to Buckeye over the years, and have been mourning, he said.

Many Buckeye fans have been posting tributes on-line, and Scott Wright -- who dubbed him "Mr. B" -- downloaded dozens of photographs that he shot of the bird from close range.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: UNDER CONSTRUCTION--PLEASE DO NOT POST HERE! THANKS!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:50 pm 

Kim in Italy wrote:
No wonder Zenith and then SW killed for him!

(by Chad and Chris Saladin, May 30 2008)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:54 pm 

Juanita wrote:
I am still in shock over the loss of my Buckeye (younger brother of Roosevelt of Ft. Wayne, Indiana.

I will have to post these 2 charts as thumbnails since the one of Buckeye & SW exceeds the 800 pixels limit for width

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:54 pm 

kittenface wrote:
I just saw a picture over at RRP that Nora got I'm sure she wouldn't mind if I posted it I sure someone here has it anyways this is just amazing looking at that just makes me cry he was such a great Father
Posted by Nora at RRP
http://raptorresource.org/forum/index.p ... 5.390.html
Here is Buckeye in 2004, protecting his eggs. Cleveland weather at the time was 32.0°F ( 0° C), visibility 0.2 miles (.3 km), wind gust 36.8 mph (59 kph), heavy snow, fog. That would have been close to whiteout conditions, and it was believed that this severe weather wouold have kept SW from relieving him.

All the eggs hatched and all the hatchlings fledged.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:03 pm 

Juanita wrote:
Besides the cam image Paul H posted of Buckeye covered in snow in 2004, these are cam images from March 25 to March 26, 2002. Scott Wright said Buckeye (covered in snow and ice) sat on those eggs for a solid 13 hours straight. Buckeye - that's my boy and I miss you so much.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:05 pm 

Juanita wrote:
Here are a series of my favorite cam images from April 25, 2003. Buckeye is right with the first hatched chick as SW prepares the food he has brought. When SW returns to feed the baby, Buckeye stays right in the nest and the baby is propped up against him. It is just so sweet.

Oh, Buckeye - I love you, baby boy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:06 pm 

Juanita wrote:
Here's one from 2003 that Scott Wright took - Scott wanted us to see what Buckeye thought about window washers invading his territory!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:07 pm 

Juanita wrote:
Buckeye and one of his babies (May 23, 2003) - they both are sooooooo cute!!

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]