Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: EDMONTON, ALBERTA ~ July - Dec 2009
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:38 pm 
Site Admin

:canada Please start new posts here...

Post subject: Re: EDMONTON, ALBERTA~JULY 2009
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:52 am 
Global Moderator

Froona 7/27 :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: EDMONTON, ALBERTA ~ July - Dec 2009
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:07 am 

Just got back from the site. The youngsters are all grown up now, looking sleek and healthy and full of pep. We watched them practice tag and flying upside down with talons at the ready, and also watched Mr. Red chase mom off her perch again. This time, she had had enough - she zoomed down on him and grabbed him in her talons, then let go. He flew off to the other side of the Education Building and stayed there, where we gather he nursed his wounded pride for a while; we saw him fly later, so he was not hurt. Later, all the youngsters gathered on the Education Building to eat, preen, and just take it easy after some flying practice. Mom decided that some crows were too close to the kids, and took off after them, so we saw a whole flock of crows zoom across our line of vision with her right behind, then she turned around and went back to the Education Building. We did not see dad, but it was too early for him to tuck in, so we think he was probably off patrolling his territory. All in all, it was a very relaxing evening for Bev, Peter and I, just watching the youngsters practice their flying, nothing very stressful, and no heart-stopping moments - thankfully!

Mr. Bev here again. At the site at 0700 this morning. Found all three kids on the Education building. One was eating the other two were just watching biding their time waiting for their turn. They eventually got it. Parents were out hunting.

Parents back now. Dad flew up on the Newton building and then on to his perch on the Windsor Park tower. Beautiful day. May get a little windy today so the kids will have to practice their "wind surfing". They are flying strong and having great time as you heard from "Eli" last night. We should just be enjoying the show from now on and they do like putting on a show. Even Froona who is flying amazingly well. Dave and Becky are here now having a coffee with us. We can see the birds from here. It beats sitting on the cement. Will keep you posted.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:20 am 

Thank you for your update, Bev. How tiring this falcon watch had to have been for you, but exhilarating as well! I'm glad for your sake that its over & the remaining juvies are flying well & totally enjoying themselves.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:14 pm 

Dad was inside a vent on the back of the Ed building keeping out of the sun. Mom came flying in with a pidgeon and dropped it on the building behind the Ed building with a chick following close behind. Mom flew onto the vent and dad flew off with one of the kids behind him. Froona was cacking like crazy. We walked a bit to see if we could see the chicks and when we came back, Red was lying on a window sill, Yellow on the top of the vent, and Froona above on the roof of the Ed building. Red looked content so he must have eaten. Froona flew off for her turn on the building. It is extremely hot here today so when we left but we are assuming they are in the shade on the Ed building and Mom was in the shade across the street watching.

Now a big storm is brewing so we are going back down there to make sure everything is OK and the kids don't do anything crazy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:04 pm 

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:46 pm 

Wow Bev! You and Peter are going back to watch in the storm? Thanks for such dedication. Its wonderful hearing how well everyone is doing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:38 am 

Radisson was in the nest box taking cover from the wicked storm.

We, on the other hand , were soaking wet. what a storm.
One of the kids flew off the Ed building in the high winds and rain so we , like fools, tried to find him.
we did locate him and he was safe .
we found the other 2 also.

FRoona is such a beauty and the boys are so muscular.
We were only missing dad and hopefully he was under cover and not out hunting.
Lisa met us down there and so we got wet together.

I promise pictures are coming. they will be late but there are some nice ones.

NIght all.
going to bed early, and up tomorrow to check things out again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:10 am 
Global Moderator

Wow bev, you are one dedicated lady! Looking forward to your pics when you are rested.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:43 pm 
Site Admin

Bev., you and Mr. Bev. win the Edmonton "Most Dedicated" watcher award of all time...I cannot believe you went out into that storm...Well, get some rest...I'm really looking forward to your pictures...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:01 pm 

Well I can't believe that we haven't seen a single juvie on or near this nestbox since Froona fledged. Of course, I don't watch 24/7 but almost. That must mean they are very confident and having lots of fun feeling no need for the security of the nestbox. I am glad of that for them, but I sure thought I'd see them again. I can't believe you guys out in the storm, but I do understand it. :) I can imagine it's a big responsibility looking out for this falcon family. Thanks so much for the reports. I can't wait to see some pictures.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:55 pm 

skygirlblue wrote:
Bev., you and Mr. Bev. win the Edmonton "Most Dedicated" watcher award of all time...I cannot believe you went out into that storm...Well, get some rest...I'm really looking forward to your pictures...

Here you go - for Mr & Mrs Bev ~ Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:09 pm 
Global Moderator

Great report, and thanks Becky & Carly. :thumbup

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:38 pm 

Thought everyone might enjoy this article on an Edmonton biologist
http://www.canada.com/technology/PEREGRINE/1834015/story.html

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:32 pm 

obxbarb wrote:
Thought everyone might enjoy this article on an Edmonton biologist
http://www.canada.com/technology/PEREGRINE/1834015/story.html

Very interesting article, Obxbarb! I've heard Bev mention his name, but I didn't know he is an accomplished photographer as well as a biologist! Thanks for posting the link!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:41 pm 

Now that Becky is "hooked" I'm sure she will keep you up to date when Bev or I can't. We haven't posted for the last couple of days as we are baby sitting our grandson. He came down to the sight with us last night and seemed to enjoy watching the birds, chasing the rabbits and the squirrels and eating dinner. This morning when we took him down there he was able to find them with no problem and did not hesitate to point them out. We were treated again to a 3 way game of tag and yes, Bev "still" thinks that the boys are picking on Froona. But as Becky said, she gives as good as she gets, but I think that Froona holds a special place in Bev's heart. We always feel good when we see all five of the birds at once, to make sure that everyone is OK. I observed dad stooping pigeons. What a show he puts on. Last night the kids flew with the pigeons instead of stooping them. They will soon learn that they are dinner and not flying friends. We know that soon they will soon start moving out, but usually will come back in a night. We will try and make sure that they are "tucked in" for the night.

Even after watching them last year, we are learning so much more this year. It continues to amaze us how the parents watch over their chicks, how they train them and how they play with them. They are awesome birds.

Bev will write an update tomorrow on how the fledge watch went. Off to the site to watch yet another show.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:33 pm 

bev. wrote:
Now that Becky is "hooked" I'm sure she will keep you up to date when Bev or I can't. We haven't posted for the last couple of days as we are baby sitting our grandson. He came down to the sight with us last night and seemed to enjoy watching the birds, chasing the rabbits and the squirrels and eating dinner. This morning when we took him down there he was able to find them with no problem and did not hesitate to point them out. We were treated again to a 3 way game of tag and yes, Bev "still" thinks that the boys are picking on Froona. But as Becky said, she gives as good as she gets, but I think that Froona holds a special place in Bev's heart. We always feel good when we see all five of the birds at once, to make sure that everyone is OK. I observed dad stooping pigeons. What a show he puts on. Last night the kids flew with the pigeons instead of stooping them. They will soon learn that they are dinner and not flying friends. We know that soon they will soon start moving out, but usually will come back in a night. We will try and make sure that they are "tucked in" for the night.

Even after watching them last year, we are learning so much more this year. It continues to amaze us how the parents watch over their chicks, how they train them and how they play with them. They are awesome birds.

Bev will write an update tomorrow on how the fledge watch went. Off to the site to watch yet another show.

That had to be quite a sight--watching the kids flying with the pigeons!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:45 pm 

Last night the kids flew with the pigeons instead of stooping them. They will soon learn that they are dinner and not flying friends.

I love this quote!! Thanks so much for sharing your excitement with us Bev and Peter! You are training your grandson the right way. Maybe he will become a biologist.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:16 pm 

obxbarb wrote:
Last night the kids flew with the pigeons instead of stooping them. They will soon learn that they are dinner and not flying friends.

I love this quote!! Thanks so much for sharing your excitement with us Bev and Peter! You are training your grandson the right way. Maybe he will become a biologist.

:agree: Great stuff to read & picture - thanx again for the reports!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:34 pm 

Those silly juvies. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next