Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: ZURICH-2011
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:41 am 
Global Moderator

Oh no Ferenz ... This is terrible. :cryinggirl:
Please keep us posted with "any" news.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:52 am 
Global Moderator

OMG!!! This is such awful, sad news about Carla . . . and such a sudden death, I still can't believe it!

I hope the remaining falcon family here will be OK. And I'm truly sorry for everyone who's been following these falcons.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:17 am 

A very tragic day when sweet carla's live came to an unforeseeable end.

I was really astonished to seeing her body laying in that flat positon in front of her hungry waiting chick. First I thought that to many users were blocking the stream and I wondered if the cam froze for that reason. As the chick didn't want to wait anymore after 2-3 minutes and vanished into the box I realized the adult female must be dead.

I mailed to Mr. Stefan Hose (Grün Stadt Zürich) and let him know what happened asking him for considering to evacuate the chicks as it was done at Norfolk Botanical Garden too in case of a dangerous feed Situation. Mr. Hose didn't respond to my mail yet but the result could be seen after nearly half an hour. The last picture showing the removal of carla's body made it clear that my request was not in vain.

So let's remind of a precious and unique swiss female falcon giving us so much joy over years.

Bye bye Carla we will miss you but cute Antonio will find another young mate - I guess who - because we may have seen her some months ago...the young one with clear stripes which appeared at springtime when Carla was absent. Let nature open the next love game and we will enjoy it!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:26 am 
Global Moderator

Thank you so much Ferenz for letting someone know about the situation.

I remember reading about a Owl nest where the mom died in the nest
by choking on prey.

Fingers crossed for the little ones...They will need a lot of food.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:15 am 

I'm very sorry Ferenz. I know you have really enjoyed this pair and their family. I'm glad to see they acted quickly on your message, and hope your little male will find another mate to carry on.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:26 am 
Global Moderator

Oh Ferenz, I am so sorry to hear this news. I am in shock. Thank you for acting so quickly to notify the authorities, and thanks to them as well for reacting to your note. What a wonderful team there in Zurich.

My heart goes out to all who loved Carla. Hugs to all of you!

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:20 pm 

I got a mail response from Mr. Stefan Hose (GrünStadtZürich).

He wrote:

>Thanks very much for your mail. The female of the peregrine falcon pair at Hochkamin Josefstrasse collapsed and died within short time today (9 mai) while plucking a prey. Our game keeper This Schenkel got the 3 chicks and the dead female falcon body out in the morning. The female will be examinend at animal clinic. The three chicks will be raised at raptors station Berg am Irchel.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berg_am_Ir ... _am_Irchel

Best regards

Stefan Hose>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:04 pm 

skygirlblue: Principally it´s possible that a bird of prey chokes especially when caused by the splinter bones of a pigeon but I´m working in a falconry for years and I never heard of such a case.
I´m glad that Clara will be examined so we hopefully will learn about her cause of death and I´m eased to hear that the chicks will be raised by experienced staff. Birds of prey don´t mourn. I´m sure the tiercel will find a new mate very fast.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:13 pm 
Global Moderator

Thank you Ferenz-your quick action was appreciated! Good thinking :attention:
Peregrinus Brookei-it will be interesting to hear what the cause of death for Mom/Carla :cry:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:20 pm 

What an unbelievable turn of events. Poor sweet, beautiful Carla, dying right there on the platform and the look of those little chicks, so sad. They knew something wasn't right for sure. I have not been able to get this cam since I got my new computer but was following your posts and was so happy to see the babies. What a terrible loss for everyone. Thank you Ferenz for sending the message and so glad they responded before more damage could be done. I'm very sorry. :cry:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:35 pm 
Site Admin

Ferenz wrote:
I got a mail response from Mr. Stefan Hose (GrünStadtZürich).

He wrote:

>Thanks very much for your mail. The female of the peregrine falcon pair at Hochkamin Josefstrasse collapsed and died within short time today (9 mai) while plucking a prey. Our game keeper This Schenkel got the 3 chicks and the dead female falcon body out in the morning. The female will be examinend at animal clinic. The three chicks will be raised at raptors station Berg am Irchel.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berg_am_Ir ... _am_Irchel

Best regards

Stefan Hose>

Thanks for sharing this email response, Ferenz...I just still can't believe it..but thanks to your email and their quick response, these chicks are now safe....I am so glad they will examine her and hopefully they'll be able to determine cause of death..

Peregrinus Brookei, I have never heard of choking either until last year, when (like Beth mentioned) a barn owl died in the box, while feeding the owlets, on a part of the prey...I suppose her death could be caused by just about anything..I just pray it wasn't poison in the prey...

Still...I am in such shock...

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:40 pm 

Ferenz, did you ask Mr. Hose to inform you about the results of Clara´s examination?

Thanks so much for your efforts!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:54 pm 

No,

because it's my oppinion that Mr. Hose, the doctors and involved biologists have to decide by themselves what has to be done for public interests in a case like that. I requested him to publish the results on the GSZ webside if the raise of the chicks would be successful and if the falcons would be ready to fledge. And speaking for a great lot of falcon friends at swiss Förmchen, BCAW, Storchenforum I would be grateful to seeing pictures of the fledge. That's all.

You are free to contact Mr. Hose for detailed information.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:35 am 

Ferenz wrote:
I found three pictures of Erika at falken-förmchen showing Carlas break down bitween 7:43:52 to 7:57:47.
It's a remarkable document. Look at the eyases eyes wide open and the beak to beak pic 3!

http://falken-foermchen.com/smf/index.p ... ic=145.330

Here is Michaelas link to raptors station Berg am Irchel.
They have a nice pic of the three rescued chicks on their web side.
http://www.paneco.ch/news-n109-sD.html

GSZ published an information on their web cam page explaining what occured yesterday.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:13 pm 

Ferenz, thank you so much for the new information about the three eyasses! Good to know they are fine and get all they need for their later life in nature.
I think in the moment I will not write to Mr. Hose. Maybe with a little luck the authorities in Zurich will publish the results of Clara´s examination.

Thanks again!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:28 pm 

I just got finished this morning reading about prey being poisoned in Halifax and a while back in Ireland as bait to kill the Falcons this is just aweful to hear I just wonder where iall t is happening and we don't even know about it.
Ferenz I am very sorry I know how much you monitored this nest and you did an awesome job getting someone there so fast those chicks look like they could have fed themselves and then who know what might have happened

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:54 pm 
Site Admin

Well, I just went to the cam to see if updates had been posted...I had no clue the video I clicked on was a video of her death. Sorry, I couldn't watch it all...but, I'm sure that will be valuable footage for the vet. Very sad to watch the parts I did as she really appeared ok at the beginning. :cryinggirl: :cryinggirl:

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:56 pm 

Here's todays message on web site of GSZ:

< Wanderfalken-Weibchen verendet: Die drei Jungvögel werden in der Greifvogelstation in Berg am Irchel aufgezogen

Am Montagvormittag, 9. Mai 2011, erreichten Grün Stadt Zürich zahlreiche Meldungen aus der Bevölkerung, in denen uns mitgeteilt wurde, dass auf dem Anflugbrett des Hochkamins des Kehrrichtheizwerks an der Josefstrasse ein Altvogel liege, der sich nicht mehr bewege. Der Wildhüter This Schenkel stieg daraufhin in den Kamin, wo er feststellen musste, dass das Wanderfalken-Weibchen aus bisher noch unbekannten Gründen verendet war. Es wurde zur genaueren Abklärung der Todesursache ins Tierspital gebracht.

Die drei Jungvögel, die noch ihr Daunenkleid tragen, hat der Wildhüter der Greifvogelstation in Berg am Irchel übergeben. Sie wären sonst verhungert, weil nur das Weibchen das Futter in schnabelgerechte Portionen zerrupft. Das Männchen beteiligt sich nicht an diesem Fütterungsvorgang. Nach erfolgreicher Aufzucht durch Menschenhand und einem Ausbildungsprogramm, das sie zur Jagd befähigen soll, werden die drei Jungfalken so rasch wie möglich wieder ausgewildert.

Wir bedanken uns für die zahlreichen Hinweise aus der Bevölkerung, die uns auf das verendete Wanderfalken-Weibchen aufmerksam machten. Die grosse Anteilnahme am Schicksal der Falkenfamilie zeigt uns, mit welchem Interesse die Artenförderungsmassnahmen von Grün Stadt Zürich von vielen Zürcherinnen und Zürchern verfolgt werden
.>

The reason for their decision to take out the chicks is given in third paragraph 2nd-3rd sentence: ²...otherwise they would have died of starvation, because only the female tears the prey apart into small bits given to the beak of the chicks. ³The male does not participate in that feed. After having watched the video in full length I came to the conclusion that Carla did not eat a bit of the prey. She was struggling with both of her talons at the prey and suddenly fell foreward and died. Therefore I don't presume that poisoning caused Carla's death. Probably it was just stress.... :sosad2

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:42 pm 
Site Admin

I'm not sure it was poison either...the little bit of the video I did watch showed that she was struggling once she was down...seizure like behavior (I'm not saying it was a seizure, but it didn't appear she just died and then fell over...) very tragic. I do hope they can figure out what happened...

Thanks for sharing that part of the message, Ferenz...still so tragic to me..really sad to see in the video when dad went over to her... :cryinggirl:

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:50 pm 

Raptors center Berg am Irchel - PanEco update of Carla's & Antonio's chick's feed and raise

http://www.paneco.ch/content-n21-sD.html

Because of copyright reasons I cannot post the cute pics without permission :ciao

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next