Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: WILDLIFE CONSERVATION AND REHABILITATION~2014-2023
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:52 pm 
Site Admin

Please begin your 2014 posts here and keep on going!
We are up to 2023 now!

Post subject: Re: WILDLIFE CONSERVATION AND REHABILITATION~2014
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:29 pm 

I wasn't sure where to post this educational video from the Peregrine Fund on Artificial Insemination. Very interesting, showing the anatomy of both males and females.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:58 am 

This is pretty interesting
Falcon Physics: The Science of Diving Peregrine Falcons

Article & pictures here

============================================================================
OK now here is a GREAT article for sure
Wisconsin conservationist gets trawler to break up ice so hungry ducks can dive for food

Article by: Associated Press Updated: February 28, 2014 - 12:30 PM

MANITOWOC, Wis. — Wisconsin's water-diving ducks received some help from residents who became concerned after learning ice was keeping ducks from gathering food this winter.

Animal rehabilitation clinics have been caring for a larger-than-usual number of malnourished ducks this winter. Some ducks don't migrate in winter and dive into water in search of food.

When conservationist Tom Kocourek heard frozen waterways were preventing the birds from finding food, he decided to do something about it, HTR Media reported (http://htrne.ws/1bRJ0oF ) Friday. The Two Rivers man called a marine contracting and engineering firm, which used a trawler to break up ice in Manitowoc and Two Rivers harbors.

"We figured we had to do something," said Mike LeClair, president of Susie-Q Fish Co. in Two Rivers. "We have to keep the ducks going. Maybe the Lord will keep us going."

Days after ducks had been spotted walking through streets in search of anything to eat, they were in the water, diving for food again.

"We were just blown away" by the effort, said Jim Knickelbine, executive director of Woodland Dunes Nature Center and Preserve in Two Rivers. "We are just so grateful for the interest and commend them for what they are doing. For this to have happened says good things about our community."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:00 pm 

:loveshow:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:58 am 

This poor little squirrel! Unfortunately, I don't have the equipment at home to capture and transfer her to the wildlife hospital....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:46 pm 
Site Admin

Great to see you, Beans!!!

...and what happened to the poor little thing? Glad its found food at your feeder and hope it can heal.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:39 pm 

I sent a link for the video to a very experienced wildlife rehabber. She confirmed my worst fear: mange. The wildlife hospital has not been successful in clearing up mange in wild squirrels. This morning I saw a very young squirrel with evidence of mange on his back, near his tail. He may be one of her babies.

Link to treatment with Ivermectin:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:36 pm 

Beans, one of the rehabbers that works with me uses some homepathic and natural treatments that seem to work on skin wounds and diseases. The ivermectin should kill the mites though.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:06 am 
Site Admin

Oh my...I don't think I've ever heard of mange in squirrels. Poor thing!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:30 am 

:egg20: :egg20: :egg20: :egg20: :egg20: :egg20: :egg20: :egg20: :egg20: :egg20: :egg20: :egg20: :egg20: :egg20: :egg20: :egg20: :egg20: :egg20: :egg20: :egg20: :egg20: :egg20: :egg20:
Australian Marine Conservation Society

BREAKING NEWS: Whales 1, Whalers 0. The whales win!

The International Court of Justice (ICJ) has ruled that Japan’s so called ‘scientific whaling’ program breaks international law and must stop.

Over the last 25 years, more than 10,000 whales have been killed in the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary by Japanese whalers.

That ends today.
The judgments of the ICJ have binding force and are without appeal.

Thank you and congratulations to everyone who stood up for the whales! This is a huge victory.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:04 am 

Great news! :sum9:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:46 pm 

Three birds test positive for West Nile virus
By Staff reports --
UPDATED: 04/11/2014 11:09:18 PM PDT

LAKEPORT -- A red-tailed hawk, a Bald Eagle and an American crow from Lake County have tested positive for West Nile virus.

The red-tailed hawk was found alive but sick near Kelseyville on Feb. 6 and taken to a wildlife rehabilitation center where it died on March 12, according to Jamesina J. Scott, Lake County Vector Control District (LCVCD) district manager and research director.

The Bald Eagle was found dead in the South Cow Mountain Off Highway Vehicle Recreation Area on Feb. 24. The American crow was found dead in Clearlake Oaks on March 30, Scott stated.

All three birds were submitted to the California Animal Health and Food Safety (CAHFS) Laboratory at Davis for examination and testing. The cause of death was determined to be West Nile virus (WNV). This is the first WNV activity detected in Lake County this year, and the earliest in the year that WNV activity has been detected in Lake County, Scott stated.

It is not clear when the birds contracted WNV. The suspected source of the birds' WNV infections was consuming infected (but possibly asymptomatic) birds or bird carcasses, Scott stated. In November and December near Salt Lake, Utah, the United States Geological Serivce National Wildlife Health Center reported that more than 50 bald eagles contracted WNV from preying on infected grebes.

"This is a great reminder to drain rainwater from wheelbarrows, planter pots, children's toys, and other places where mosquitoes grow to protect your family from West Nile virus," Scott stated. "Mosquitoes thrive in warm weather like we're enjoying now, and finding positive dead birds so early in the year is a warning that we may have another season with a lot of West Nile virus activity,"

Scott encourages residents to report any dead birds that they find at any time of the year using the "Report a Dead Bird" link in the right-hand column of the District's website (http://www.lcvcd.org). After April 21, dead birds can also be reported by calling the WNV hotline at 877-WNV-BIRD or 877-968-2473. "Knowing where dead birds are being found helps to direct our mosquito surveillance program" Scott stated. "Our District gets immediate access to these reports and they help us locate potential hotspots and reduce the chance of people getting bit by infected mosquitoes."

WNV has been detected in dead birds or sentinel chickens in four California counties so far this year. No human cases of West Nile virus have been reported in California in 2014, Scott stated.

The LCVCD traps and tests mosquitoes throughout the county to identify the areas that are at the highest risk, and targets those areas for source reduction and treatment using an integrated vector management program, Scott stated.

Call 263-4770 or visit website http://www.lcvcd.org for information on LCVCD. For information about NV, visit http://www.westnile.ca.gov/.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:23 pm 

Not good....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:26 pm 

I saw this and thought someone might want to read it. Honestly it is to much for my brain to take in.
Genetic Evidence for Global Dispersal in the Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus) and Affinity with the Taita Falcon (Falco fasciinucha)
submitted by MaxJaxson 2 days ago - Topic: Zoology

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:06 pm 

About a week ago, USPS in Oakland called Campos Tree Services to trim the trees with Black-crowned Night Heron rookeries because the birds were defecating on the cars. Neighbors ran out and begged them to stop, as babies fell from the trees and some were put into the wood chipper. They kept trimming. The Oakland Police arrived and stopped the trimming. A USPS spokesman denied that any birds were killed by the tree trimming.

Earlier this week, I learned that four had already been transferred to International Bird Rescue Research Center. More came later from Lindsay Wildlife Hospital. Apparently the young birds were wandering all around.

I went to the site around 12:30 today. I saw two young Herons hiding on plastic in the bushes. One seemed healthy but the other was severely dehydrated with a possible broken wing. I had towels and large grocery bags in the car, so I was able to pick up the injured one and bring him to the hospital.

I didn’t get many pictures because I stopped when I discovered the injured youngster.

Two trees next to USPS with the Heron rookeries. This is a huge parking lot with plenty of room for many cars. Why park under the trees?

Dead baby hanging in one of the trees

Two little Herons hiding in the weeds. The one on the right is injured

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:14 pm 

Close-up of the injured Heron, which I drove to IBRRC I’m pleased to say he was still alive when I arrived

Dead Heron in a trash box – I didn’t count how many were there

Adult may be wondering what happened to her babies

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:15 pm 

OMG how terrible. Those IDIOTS park there because of the shade more than likely. Sorry you had to get such heartbreaking pictures beans, you are the hero to the one you got to. Here's hoping you will have a good update for us.
I don't know about these kind of birds, but aren't they protected?
Poor sweet momma

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:18 pm 

Oh I just saw they have a live cam on the surviving Herons how cute are they? :flirty:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:32 pm 

The cam is great, and the patients seem to be doing well. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:55 pm 
Site Admin

This is just horrible...I heard this on the news (can't remember if it was yesterday or today)...idiots...how many times have we posted..."what's wrong with these people!!!"...grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next