Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Edmonton, Pembina
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:08 am 
Global Moderator

Location - Northwest Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Edmonton, Pembina
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:08 pm 

thank you Beth. :15heartbeat: will be trying to put a report here soon.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:43 pm 

will be working on this this week, now that i am home. wanted to do a good job, so did not want to rush it. :15heartbeat:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:05 pm 

well I try. just trying to catch up on so many things . I do feel good till I complete all things

so finally I iwll start . It will take a bit .

the most important thing to note is: It is always good to leave youngsters with kids, but if not possible Gord hacks them at hacking site. now this may not be possible in a few years. It all takes money. Our Urban sites, like many others are not ideal. Bell is the worst, so if they come to ground there, they get hacked.

LIke some of you, I was dubious at first. but when you go out there and see so many flying free, with no worries but nature, it is amazing.
Gord runs a top rate program. There is someone there 24/7 b, from the time the youngsters are in box, till beginning of Sept, when most have moved on.
I am going to go back and look for my original post

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:09 am 
Site Admin

Hey Bev...I have a new "bird" for you to check out...LOL

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:38 pm 

lol SGB. OUr falconer uses his falcons and hawk to do same thing.

cannot believe I forgot to post Pembina. pictures all done

so little time these days.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:19 pm 

dec30/2017
finally getting this done

I have so many pictures and was going to do a slideshow but have not tested one yet, and do not want to loose these. I have over 80 pictures, some are ours and some are jeans. she is a photographer, while we just pretend LOl

It was a rough year in our locations this year, but pembina is always a great success story. No matter what your feelings are, this program has been working. We have nesting pairs on cliffs now . Gord could not get to ID all this year ,but that is going to be a priority in spring. going down on rivers by boat and air. Hopefully the fires will not be as bad and he can get access to a helicopter.

We have been fortunate to also have a nesting pair at Pembina, that take all of these young falcons, under their wing, so to speak. We saw the adult male come in with prey and be chased by a group of youngsters. We saw a mid -air transfer by one and the chase was on.

If I had my way, all falcons would nest in wild. The urban areas are just too risky for our youngsters. But adults do not think of that when they nest. And we cannot tell them where to go. Some wonder why we let them nest on buildings. LOl .We do not choose, they do. We just try to make it better for nesting.

The biggest problem for urban birds, besides buildings, is human interference, of the not so good kind. It is very frustrating that humans , for the most part , have no regard for anything but themselves.
I am not prejudiced when it comes to nature. They all deserve to exist, peacefully. I truly believe all species have a purpose . Who am I to say , one is better deserving to survive than the other, thus at my home , magpies, ravens , bluejays etc, all have a home. and you know what, they all exist. Who am I to say, one is too noisy and we must get rid of it. Have you heard some humans lately.

BUT I do love the falcons and become way too attached :loveshow: When you monitor so closely from a cam and the ground, it is inevitable . But I am also smart enough to know that they are part of nature and because of that, they follow their instinct to survive.This is why it is always so up lifting to go out to the pembina and see them at their best: in the wild. no worries about buildings, or roads etc. If they come down on first flights, there are trees and cliff sides, and they work their way back up.

so I have many pictures of the falcons ,but also of a young great horned owl, that our falconer had out there . It was interesting to see it interact with nature,and also to know, that in the first year of its life, it does not go after falcons.It eats mice etc. That other instinct kicks in later. As a result , it was of no danger to the falcons.

so here goes:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:59 pm 

we also saw our falcons chase hawks and other birds . it was magical

with nature in background
same picture as above

nest 3 go together. you can see 2 in first one. it was a bright cool day so it was hard to get great shots.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:12 pm 

and more
roosting in our famous tree(light was bright). this was the first we saw of 2 of our youngsters from U of a . Steve did a great job of keeping track of all the birds. he recorded all band numbers as they came to feed. He was also able to keep track in air. His eye is incredible, his knowledge just amazing. he also has use of gords scope and a new device he attaches to his cell. incredible.

we could see these birds so clearly with scope. wish you were there

a hawk, forget name ( steve knew). one we had never seen before.

this falcon was being watched as it had a droopy leg. but before season was over, Steve said it could carry prey etc. if it could not , he would have snared it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:19 pm 

adult male with prey9 jean has a few more which I will post later. show catch in air

you can see area of cliff nest

our young all had different coloring, depending on parents

from area where hack box was

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:27 pm 

our owl shots . i have tons but will only post a few. I f I get slideshow program working will redo these in slideshow and show more. we fell in love with this guy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:38 pm 

jeans picutres
adult male
prey exchange
if you look you see 3 falcons, one is youngster with prey, on eis anther youngster and adult has flown away(very bright out)

youngster with prey
u of A youngster(red tape on right leg)
red and another coming in to land on cliff( we did see our yellow taped thorough Steve cell phone contraption. ) we also saw our blue taped one from Weber.

6 falcons in thi s shot

please take the time to go back to beginning. was a lot of work and if you come here I would like you try and see what we saw. we always see so much more than falcons . it was to=wards end of season so so many were independent already , this was last batch out. But Steve said we saw more on this day than anyone had seen as weather was perfect. it was windy and cool and they were very active. I hope Gord can do this one more year. it is so worthwhile, as we have a place to put our falcons that come to ground or get a few bruises and need time to heal.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]