Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: AUSTRALIAN CULTURE & FAQ'S -2009
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:07 am 

Did you know this ? :laugh :laugh :laugh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:52 pm 

Dutch Eagle Fan wrote:
OMG ! It took me a lóóóóng time to finish reading your post Pru. Had to wipe the tears away many times. That is so absolutely fantastic! My belly is still hurting, that's how I was laughing.
Good thing I read it just now and not earlier, when my husband was still in the room, he would have thought I was going gaga :laugh2 :laugh :laugh2 :laugh :laugh2 :laugh :laugh2

Can I post this as a quote on my forum? Folks over there like a good laugh too . :leaves:

Well ... this is the "joke" that just keeps on giving - larfs that is - it is so cracking me up just reading how it cracks you all up! :laugh2

Sure thing Ingrid - post it whereever you feel it will be appreciated! :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:58 pm 

Dutch Eagle Fan wrote:
Did you know this ? :laugh :laugh :laugh

Oh Noooooo ... another great Aussie joke story :funstuff:
I'll have to read this to my husband (when he wakes up - much later - well he is a musician afterall! :P )

thanks so much for finding & posting that Ingrid :party2:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:19 pm 

That was a great & hilarious article, DEF! :hahah

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:10 pm 

PruJoy wrote:
<<<SNIP>>>(when he wakes up - much later - well he is a musician afterall! :P )

<<<SNIP>>> :party2:

Sure hope it's NOT in the Atlantic ocean . . . . . . . . . . :crikey :hahah

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:51 am 

... "it broke Florida .." :omg this is a CLASSIC! this would be great recorded - I'd luv to hear it! Only worrying thing is that IT IS SO CLOSE TO REALITY!!! :hahah

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:32 pm 
Global Moderator

Pru and DEF - Thanks so much for posting those funny Australia stories. I laughed so hard that I cried while reading each one!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:59 pm 

Catbird wrote:
Pru and DEF - Thanks so much for posting those funny Australia stories. I laughed so hard that I cried while reading each one!

Join the club ! :laugh :laugh :laugh

Did you read some of the other stories in their archive? I also loved the one about Jupiter :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:05 am 
Global Moderator

Help!!!

I've been watching the Australian Open tennis on TV, and I love the ad they're showing for Melbourne, a "city surrounded by nature." I've been trying to identify the cute little animals running within the picture frame. At first I thought they might be wombats (but I think that wombats run on all four legs), and now I think they might be penguins.

Pru or anyone else: Can you help me ID these cute little creatures? If you go to http://www.visitmelbourne.com/uk-tv/ and click the "Reflections on Melbourne" video, you'll be able to catch a glimpse of them starting at the 14-second mark. I would love to know what they are.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:24 am 

Hi CB - that's so nice to know you are watching Melbourne & the tennis too - yahoo! - my daughter was there for a match yesterday - anyway ... getting back to the dear little wildlife you saw - I checked out the video & think they must be "Fairy Penguins" because they mention driving down the "Great Ocean Road" - now this is actually the very road that runs from Melbourne straight past Anglesea & the home of our favorite peregrines, Sheila & Havoc! AND - all along that rugged coastline these precious little penguins come ashore to nest at night - they were named "Fairy Penguins" by the first explorers due to their very small size but I was astonished to read at the Melbourne zoo a couple of years ago that they had changed their name to "Little Penguin" because of the offence, the former name, had caused a minority group in modern society (!!!).

Here's the wikipedia article about them:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:10 am 
Global Moderator

Pru - Thanks so much for identifying the Fairy Penguins! They are just so adorable - I never knew there were penguins that were only 16-17 inches tall and raised 2 chicks at a time instead of just one.

We've been glued to the television every night watching the tennis matches down under. :ten: And I've seen that Melbourne commercial countless times, but I never get tired of it!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:35 am 
Global Moderator

Interesting about those cute little penguins! My husband has been watching bicycle racing from Australia -- "The Tour Down Under." :sfwave:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:11 pm 

Those little penguins are soooo cute! :grin:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:25 pm 

Ooooh, yes SusanE - my husband (& I, when I pop my head out of the kitchen) is watching the Aussie Tour too - surprisingly pretty area they are going thru too - we didn't realise how verdant it is there - it is a little pocket in the "Hills" above Adelaide - hard to imagine that right behind those hills is the central desert stretching all the way to the West Australian coast!

As for the precious little penguins - yes, they are wonderful but I'm never going to be able to call them "Little Penguins" - they will always be "Fairy Penguins" to me :sfyea:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:20 pm 

Hi Everyone :sfwave:

It is our "Australia Day" :ausie holiday here tomorrow - that was the day in 1788 Captain Arthur Phillip, commander of the First Fleet of eleven convict ships from Great Britain and the first governor of New South Wales, arrived at Sydney Cove. The raising of the Union Jack there symbolised British occupation of the eastern half of the continent claimed by Captain James Cook on 22 August in 1770.

So I thought I would share some of the more traditional food that we like to eat for the celebration:

Pavlova - (named, btw, after the visit of a famous Russian ballet dancer about 100 years ago!)
and here's the link to the recipe

Lamingtons -
and here's the link to the recipe

Barbecued Lamb chops -

Prawn cocktail -
recipe

We won't be going to any Australia Day barbeques this year but just talking about all this lovely food makes me think I should make some anyway! Only trouble is I had a gardening accident yesterday - the pressure sprayer exploded in my face - so I am still a bit sorry, sore & swollen! :cry: (plus it broke my glasses & I can barely see :P )

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:50 pm 
Global Moderator

Wow, I have missed alot - thanks for the pics of wonderful food, recipes, history and wildlife ( :loveheart2: ) everyone.

Gosh Pru, hope you are feeling better. What a terrible way to lose your glasses and
get hurt. Take care of yourself and rest :zzzzz (!)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:49 pm 
Global Moderator

Hi Pru! I'm so sorry to hear of your gardening accident - I do hope you recover soon.

Thanks for all those cool, traditional Aussie recipes. (I subscribed to http://www.taste.com.au about a year ago and love getting their e-mails describing new recipes. Our seasons are reversed, but it's still fun to read about barbecues in the winter and heart-warming stews in the summer.)

And before I forget, here's wishing you a wonderful Australia Day on January 26!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:07 am 

Thanks so much for yr wishes CB & Beth - well, at least I can still enjoy a toast or two :sfcheers:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:22 am 

The Pavlova looks yummy!!! :) :) Now Pru, no more gardening accidents!! Be careful!! I saw a news clip today about the heat wave in Australia! Lots of people cooling off in fountains! They said it was 107F ... yesterday, perhaps?! I don't think I've ever experienced a day of 107F! Quite a few years ago we had what was probably the hottest summer of my life ... quite a few days over 100 ... but not as high as 107!

The second hottest summer of my life was 1988 .... over 20 days straight of over 90F temps. I was 7 months pregnant!! UGH!! That was the summer my husband bought me an air conditioner! :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:15 am 

Oh PattiO - I can soooo relate to your being pregnant in those hot summer days - I was also pregnant with my last child in 1991 in what was a massive prelonged heatwave Summer - he was 3 weeks overdue & I was totally BESIDE MYSELF!!! :x So they induced him! HOORAY! :sfclap: It's hard enough already being a couple of degrees hotter due to the "bun in the oven", let alone during a hot Summer! :o

And yes, the worst thing about my "gardening accident" is that the gardening jobs still have to be done! :x (i.e. spraying the weeds & chopping out the dead bits of bushes! :roll: ) but all I can do right now is watch the weeds grow & the bushes die a bit more - how come weeds can thrive when the precious plants die :? :shock: ;)

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next