Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: BUFFALO 2012
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:19 pm 

Sad news-I received this email from Buffalo watcher, Sage, today about Athena who has been missing since her first flight on Thursday:

So sadly, here is what we now know:  Albany reports that there has been no signal from Athena's transmitter since Thursday.  

Connie is getting someone with a receiver capable of picking up a "mortality signal".  She will personally walk the area where Athena probably went down, assuming she can't have gotten far on her initial flight.  No one has seen Athena since.

The only reason there would be no data is that Athena is on her back so sun is not reaching the transmitter, or, she is in a building and not moving.  

:tissue:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:46 pm 

Thanks KrisG. :girlsad3:
please keep us updated if you can this is so sad I just don't me myself I think those transmitters are just to clumsy for the chicks at the first I would think if they want to put it on them then try and get them after a couple weeks of flying but like I said this is just my opinion

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:03 pm 

Sage said tonight that tomorrow the DEC will attempt to get a better read on the signal with specialized equipment they're bringing in. Several Rochester watchers went to Buffalo over the weekend trying to locate Athena but had no luck in their search.
Rochester has had 3 Peregrines, Hafoc, Skye and Quest, who had transmitters and all fledged successfully. Hard to say what happened or the likely cause at this point but I'll post what I hear.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:33 pm 
Site Admin

thanks for this update, Kris. . I just pray its the transmitter that isn't working. but, having said that, I would have thought that she would have been spotted at this point, especially since the other 3 have been seen.

I know there have been successful fledges with transmitters, but these juvie falcons have a hard enough time with flight, to place a transmitter, especially on a female (who always seems to have a harder time than a lighter male) doesn't seem to be a good idea. If they must place a transmitter, why not on a male. they are smaller and more agile and seem to take to flight with less drama than the females. .

Wasn't a transmitter put on a female at 55 Water street last year and she was never found after fledge?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:32 am 
Global Moderator

Gosh...I am so sorry to hear this news.

Thanks for the updates Kris.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:53 am 

skygirlblue wrote:
thanks for this update, Kris. . I just pray its the transmitter that isn't working. but, having said that, I would have thought that she would have been spotted at this point, especially since the other 3 have been seen.

I know there have been successful fledges with transmitters, but these juvie falcons have a hard enough time with flight, to place a transmitter, especially on a female (who always seems to have a harder time than a lighter male) doesn't seem to be a good idea. If they must place a transmitter, why not on a male. they are smaller and more agile and seem to take to flight with less drama than the females. .

Wasn't a transmitter put on a female at 55 Water street last year and she was never found after fledge?

Hafoc was a male from Rochester that did successfully fledge with a transmitter a few years ago but mostly large females appear to be chosen. Hope was the Falcon from 55 Water St who had the transmitter. Bonnie said they never received any signal or saw her after the initial flight and it was believed that she drowned. Very sad.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:26 pm 

Super sad.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:13 pm 

This is why I hate to see transmitters placed on little chicks. As someone said females have a harder time fledging anyway and to have to carry the additional burden of a transmitter. :egg18:

I also think it screws up the internal signals of those who migrate too. Well, no evidence to back that up, but that's what I think. Remember that poor little bird that went down somewhere in the Atlantic wasn't it?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:47 pm 

Posted on Forum today:

Special receiver has arrived which may be able to pick up a "mortality signal", depending...

At this point, our hearts are just broken, nine days with no verifiable sightings of Athena, our UB transmitter girl.

The other UB fledglings are doing great, so this is good. Their main playground today was above the roofs of the VA Hospital. They were playing talon-tag and being closely watched by BB and Yankee

Tomorrow, several watchers from Rochester are going to UB to see if they can help locate Athena.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:55 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for that info and update, Kris. .I think Quest is just the exception to the norm. . I just wish they wouldn't use them. . at least not on the females. .

Poor little Athena. . at least I hope they find her. . that's the least they can do. .

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:39 am 
Global Moderator

I am sick over hearing this sad news. The subject of transmitters still being used on Peregrine Falcons in 2012 makes me confused & upset. Not that any biologist has to justify his/her decisions to any of us "regular folk," it sure would be nice to know what new data they hope to achieve. In my research, it seems there is an over abundance of data about migration patterns. But, what do I know? :biggrin:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:49 pm 

SusanE wrote:
I am sick over hearing this sad news. The subject of transmitters still being used on Peregrine Falcons in 2012 makes me confused & upset. Not that any biologist has to justify his/her decisions to any of us "regular folk," it sure would be nice to know what new data they hope to achieve. In my research, it seems there is an over abundance of data about migration patterns. But, what do I know? :biggrin:

In my opinion you know as much if not more
they know what they eat they know where they go (bands)
where they migrate
what was hurting them in the first place
and that they are surviving now
so spend the money on another species that needs help

OK so this is my opinion :egg8:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:59 pm 

I agree with both of you. CCB collected plenty of data a decade ago, when the data was needed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:53 am 

06/24/2012 09:24 PM
Central Terminal peregrine falcons named
By: YNN Staff

BUFFALO, N.Y. - Buffalo's Central Terminal is home to a family of endangered peregrine falcons, and Sunday, two baby birds received names.

Members of the Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) accessed a nesting box on the Terminal's Tower, and put identification bands on the baby falcons.

After checking the birds' health, both of the female birds were measured.

Members of the Central Terminal Restoration Corporation named the little ladies Wagner and Alfreida to honor the buildings architects - Steward Wagner and Alfred Fellheimer.

DEC officials said there are only 75 peregrine falcons left in New York.

“Without any problems, or mishaps over the next year, this adult breeding pair should be back on the East Side next spring,” said Jim Landau, with the Buffalo Ornithological Society.

Birders said they will start crowding the Terminal's parking lot in about three weeks, as Wagner and Alfeida will start stretching their wings and learning to fly.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:01 pm 

Video turn the sound down a bit :egg11:
Meet the New Peregrine Falcons At Central Terminal

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:58 pm 

Male finally identified at Central Terminal! From Rochester! :spingirl:

http://rfalconcam.com/imprinting/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:47 pm 

I was reading back on the posts here and now I'm wondering: did they ever find Athena?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:55 pm 

Dutch Eagle Fan wrote:
I was reading back on the posts here and now I'm wondering: did they ever find Athena?

No, sadly, she was never located.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:23 pm 
Site Admin

What a surprise. . I had no clue this cam was live!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:17 pm 
Global Moderator

Great catch SgB!...I didn't think the cam was working... :sum10:

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next