Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: San Jose Falcons: April-?, 2012
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:58 pm 

Has anyone heard how Haya is doing? I haven't seen any new updates; the last one mentioned releasing her again "on Saturday", which would be last Saturday. Whether or not she has been released, I hope she is doing well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:08 pm 

Haya update from Glenn:

Haya: Settling?

Haya recuperated in her mew from last Tuesday to Saturday. She bathed, ate and was released back to the Richmond area where she was previously observed to be killing and roosting successfully. Soon, she moved on to Oakland where Mary and Janet have reported in with sightings yesterday and today. Downtown urban settings are challenging for both direct observations and telemetry tracking. We stand with neck craned back looking twenty or more stories up and jog around city blocks to glimpse between buildings at a hidden ledge. Radio telemetry is line-of-sight so tall concrete buildings obstruct signals to make tracking confusing. But for now she seems to be settling on buildings that have often served as peregrine perches in recent years.

It is interesting to note that the Fruitvale birds have been seen in downtown Oakland in past years and that Hiko has been seen in Oakland often. If we were given to drawing a parallels between individuals (not always a safe thing to do) we might conclude that she is doing the same thing that EC of San Jose City Hall did after being ousted from his territory: roost nearby. Let’s all hope that she continues to eat and gain strength in a familiar area and that she also continues to stay away from the nest ledge at the Fruitvale Bridge that is now occupied by another female.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:11 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks so much for posting that update, mwplay. . now, fingers crossed that they can eyeball her...and that she stays outta trouble...who knows, maybe EC will pass by and they will strike up a falcon conversation. .

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:27 pm 

skygirlblue wrote:
Thanks so much for posting that update, mwplay. . now, fingers crossed that they can eyeball her...and that she stays outta trouble...who knows, maybe EC will pass by and they will strike up a falcon conversation. .

I'd love that! Of course, we don't know whether EC has recovered enough to be able to take care of a family.

Thanks mwplay for the update! I was afraid they'd find that her injuries were more severe & would have to keep her longer, so this is really great news! :sum9:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:05 pm 

this is great news. :holthumbup: My fingers are crossed also. She may just wait and see this season.

Ec should be recovered by now but i am sure he would not challenge for his last spot.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:25 pm 

Thank you for posting the update, mwplay! I'm very happy that Haya has recovered from her encounter with the resident female at her old nest, and has been released. I hope everything will go well for her from now on. She looks great in the photo which accompanied the update.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:45 am 

Glenn's update on Haya:

Haya’s Progress

Haya had a good day that began early. She arrived at the Union Bank Bldg in Oakland soon after 7 a.m. with a large shorebird clutched firmly in her foot. Barbara confirmed the meal when she collected the prey remains from the sidewalk later–all that remained was a pair of wings connected by a few cleanly-picked bones. Later, she lay down on a wide ledge in the sun (perhaps because she was top-heavy from a very full crop!) to rest.

Never has a wild, non-nesting falcon been more closely watched. There is quite a crew out there every day. They observed an adult tiercel come in while she ate her shorebird. She defended her food, flew with it, but returned without it. Still, she had a large crop when she came to perch. A juvenile peregrine buzzed her a little later while she relaxed on the wide ledge and then selected a couple other perches on the building briefly. The juvie eventually flew off to the bay marsh while Haya continued to digest her large meal.

Haya moved to the building at 333 Hegenberger. She completed one brief hunting flight over the marsh and then settled down to roost for the night at 333. Barbara and others left her on the corner of the building at 5 p.m. commenting that she seemed in command of her domain.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:42 am 
Site Admin

:sum9: :sum9: :sum9:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:33 pm 

Great news, mwplay. Thank you! I am glad that Haya is being monitored so closely; I think it has really helped her. I'd like to see this approach, including a small tail-feather-mounted transmitter, considered in the case of other peregrines who are released after some time in rehab.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:40 pm 

This is so great. this is what they did with MIss Edmonton Alison. that is where I always knew where she was and I monitored her closely. Although it was not a tail transmitter. that would be great. It really pays off , becasue we were able to give Miss Edmonotn a box , when she nested on WEber Building. She no longer has transmitter.

I am so happy For Haya and all involved :sum9: :sum9: :sum9: :sum9:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:15 pm 

Another great update on Haya....

Another Big Crop for Haya

We are getting a nice collection of Haya pics in silhouette with a big crop. These pictures and this story make a nice Christmas present for all who watched this bird breed at the Fruitvale Ave Railroad Bridge; all who followed her young as they fledged; all who anguished over the injuries she and her daughter sustained and then searched for an answer; for Dr. Shannon Rigg, Trish Orlowski, and all those on the Lindsay Wildlife staff who attended to her for half a year; and the falconer, Jim DeRoque, who cared for her every day at his home and presided over her physical therapy for a full year thereafter. Merry Christmas! Haya has another full crop that she earned all by herself.

It would have been easy to say that she could not make it when she came in with a broken ulna, or again when she achieved a bone infection at the site of the break. It would have been easy to give up on her when she could not fly well with her imped (repaired) feathers, or after she got beat up upon her return to the nest structure. But a dedicated field crew including Cheryl, Mary, Ann, Barbara, Janet, Sherrill, and of course, Jim, kept a close eye on her every day after release and supplied us with these updates and photos.

She is living on the periphery of her old territory, about four miles from her former nest site and she can see the drawbridge towers from most of the perches she uses every day. Jim called with a telling story. It is a story that is indicative of the challenges any raptor faces while living in our world today.

Jim saw Haya take a pigeon from the air in the vicinity of the Coliseum. As he maneuvered around the area trying to locate her with one hand on the steering wheel and the other on his radio telemetry receiver, the signal started to boom loudly and he knew he was close to her. We are conditioned to look at the lamp posts, signs and tree branches for a raptor, but as Jim accelerated onto the Coliseum freeway onramp he almost ran over her! He said, “Our eyes met as I passed her on the pavement.” She was standing with her pigeon on the white line of the freeway onramp. “How ironic would it have been if I was the one to hit her on the freeway after all this?” he asked.

Jim quickly pulled over so that traffic would go around them and protected Haya on the pavement but she soon left her pigeon to fly off. Jim re-positioned the pigeon and she eventually returned to it and finished her meal. The photo above illustrates the bulging crop that resulted from that meal.

We see raptors standing alongside the road and hunting the freeway medians every day. There is no telling how many close calls occur as raptor and prey meet in a focused moment of fate. Fate was on the side of Haya when she was found on the street in an Oakland neighborhood and taken to the Lindsay Wildlife hospital. And fate was on her side when long time Lindsay volunteer, Jim DeRoque stepped up to help. Thanks to a lot of folks, she’s making it.

:santalaugh:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:00 pm 

Haya succeeds one day at a time. How scary that Jim almost runs over her on the roadway while looking for her. :shock:
Reminds me of the time my sister-in-law ran over her own dog backing out of the driveway. Now, everytime she leaves my house, I yell to her DON'T RUN OVER MY CAT.

Thanks for the updates.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:00 am 
Site Admin

:omg !!!

....and a big WHEW!!!

I too have had a family member run over a beloved pet. . never pretty!!

Thanks for the update, mwplay!!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:25 am 

Great update, thanks mwplay! It is because of all of these wonderful, caring people that Haya has another chance at living the good life & they really deserve a pat on the back (at the very least). If that were me that came close to hitting Haya on the onramp, I would have been shaking so badly I would have had to pull over anyway--how scary! Nice Christmas story... :carols:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:50 pm 

Thank you for the update on Haya, mwplay! In spite of the close call, it seems that she is continuing to do well. A huge thank you goes to everyone who is watching over her.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:53 pm 

The San Jose falcons continue to visit their nest:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:32 pm 
Site Admin

:holthumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:31 am 

Nice catch, Alison! Looks like its raining there...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:33 pm 

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:00 pm 

On the Yahoo forum, Paula reported a mating session on the louvers this morning...

:corkpop:

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next