Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: NEW GIRL~IN LOVING TRIBUTE
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:34 pm 

Well, it was love at first sight for me, first closeup sight that is. When I saw her rosy color, her totally cute eyebrows , and especially her beautiful, yet sad eyes, I fell in love. She reminded me of an exotic princess from some far away place. She could never be like Mom or fill her shoes, because Mom was perfect in every way, so NG just wore her own shoes and danced in them everyday. She played like a juvie, wasn't shy about eating, and kept a very messy house, complete with her bird head collection. I think she thought they were pretty and colorful. She was afraid of thunder storms and was always fighting with the falcon in the window to defend her ledge. We got to see every new experience through her eyes and how funny that sometimes was. She learned how to be a mate and a mother and what a great mother she was. From the very beginning when she laid her first egg outside the bowl, she was so entertaining. And when she would stand about a mile away to feed her chick, I would find myself stretching in order to help her. The funniest thing was how she did not want Lil' Dad to feed her boys. Man, she would come out of nowhere to grab that prey and run Lil' Dad off. I think she would have gotten that feeding part down in another year or two though. If only....

I expected to watch her for many years to come and was heartbroken to lose her, especially to see her suffer as she did. I have cried a river of tears but I know that won't bring her back. We never knew where she came from or where she went in her final hours of life but I will never forget her and my life was made better by knowing her.

As I type this, Niecey and Lil' Dad are in the scrape bonding. Life goes on. May there be many more falcons born on this ledge.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: NEW GIRL~IN LOVING TRIBUTE
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:22 pm 

I have come here today because I want to write a tribute before it is too late.
As I get ready to start my fledge watch on Monday I am reminded how quickly things can change.

I am not as familiar with Harrisburg, as some, but something drew me here this year. Before this , I would Just read or offer my assistance watching if needed.

NG completely stole my heart. It was her silly ways, her beauty, her no nonsense attitude. I guess I could love her instantly becasue I was not as familiar with mom as you all were. But I have been where you all are, with my sites. I could tell it was her on the point when some could not. I do not know why, I just could . I think I was drawn here this year to watch a part of history unfold.

I have learned over the years that each falcon is unique, and special. We get attached very quickly, and we fall hard, when things change , just as quickly.

NG came at a time when you all needed to heal. Her quirky ways brought laughter, when you all needed to laugh. I think she was sent here to help, ease the pain, so we all would be prepared, if need be, to learn that ,when we least expect it, things can change.

Her life here was short, but she left a legacy, that is for sure. Red boy was attached to the window , just like her. I am sure her spirit, will help the boys be successful. The hard thing is to not know what happened to her. But one thing, I am sure of, she left knowing the boys were in good hands. She hung on as long as she could. She needed little dad to understand that she passed the torch to him, and then she bravely left, knowing she had done her best.

For me, it is not how long a falcon has been at a site that matters, it is what they do when they are there. She will always be remembered, because she came ,if only for a little while, knowing that she had big shoes to fill, but she did not have to.She was her own falcon. She let us see , once again, how a young falcon learns to be a mate and a mom.

Fly free and high. When I see our falcons soar, I think of all the ones that have gone before, that have made this all possible.

little side note

I just want to add this :not part of my tribute but I had to say it. I remember when Reenie posted the picture of mom at the end of that season, a few years ago. Was she sick, was she injured. I knew in my heart, she had been in a fight, to defend her site.

Then Reenie posted the picture and video of NG and my heart stopped. I knew it was the same thing. Why did I know, because I have been there, and I know I will be there again. it is just a matter of time. It is nature, but hard , just the same

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2