Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: CHESAPEAKE~2020-2021
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:51 pm 

SKY DANCER
June 4, 2021
11.30 am June 3 one mounted the bridge and danced his heart out up there! I wanted to SEE it myself but didnt. I am watching too many cams! I rewound, one may have spent the night on the other side of bridge. There is a ledge there kids sometimes sleep on.

Other years the chicks scare us by laying out of sight on the other sisde of the bridge. A couple juvies have landed on a balcony below and been fine, returned to the nest. Clearly one can fly enuf to save its life - after all -

THEY ARE FALCONS!
THEY LIVE on CLIFFS!

Just looking video
Sky Dancer flapping like a helicopter about to take off! :D
https://youtu.be/RMcNDl4Yk-I

June 5
6.15 am HOLY COW! He flew up atop the bridge so easily!
Then went a-galloping down the length.
Prepping his fledge

:biggrin: Sep 10 - I bet the one they finally named Cooper is my Sky Dancer. It just fits.

pics
https://raptorresource.org/raptorresour ... c=2574.150

90 degrees today June 6

:1sum:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:08 am 
Site Admin

June 17, From Facebook

We have a very important Falcon update!

A few days ago, a building tenant observed one of the eyasses from her office window and sensed things were amiss particularly with one of the wings. The eyas had a meal (we suspect one of the parents brought it) and was otherwise looking stable. Chesapeake Conservancy, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and building management were contacted and a rescue mission ensued. However, skyscraper rescues are tricky!

This morning, the eyas was located on the ground and safely captured by the building manager in consultation with USFWS. Other than the suspected wing injury, the eyas is doing well, waiting safely inside (in a laundry basket on the other side of the window of its scrape) for a visit to the The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore where further care and evaluation will be provided. Chesapeake Conservancy thanks everyone involved for caring for this baby falcon!

The USFWS raptor biologist added, "Although this youngster had the misfortune of veering into a window (collision, most likely) he exhibited awesome might and attitude! A few days ago, while assessing his wing injury and physical appearance from inside an office room window of the 24th floor, he appeared in good spirits since he had received a food delivery from a parent falcon earlier. More surprisingly, on a balcony ledge of the 24th floor high above city dwellers of downtown Baltimore, the ever-abundant cicada presented themselves as food to an eager little falcon. He watched with anticipation as several groups began hitting the window and flailing at his feet. Within minutes he had consumed four protein treats!"

Thank you to the caring building tenant who alerted us and sent this photo!

(pic courtesy of the building tenant and Chesapeake Conservancy FB page)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:21 am 

Quote:
skyscraper rescues are tricky!

Call the 82nd Airborn! :egg11:

I am happy he is doing well. LOL at the cicadas!

:attention:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:07 am 

Cooper & Suki
Sept 10, 2021 I peeked in to see Barb in nest picking pebbles. Found notes.

Chesapeakers finally named the 2 juvies.
Suki was found dead, only Cooper surviving to annoy his parents.
Aug 27, 2021 Silly saucy Cooper is coming to the nest to visit. He visited several more days.

Chesapeake_Conservancy_Member Mod posted in August
Sad news to share from the peregrine falcon nest. We've been informed that one of the Falcon eyasses was found deceased on a building rooftop nearby. As of now, we have no explanation as to why the bird passed away.

My guess is Suki was the accident-prone one, neither are banded. Sky's pic may be Suki.
Thus endeth my mixed update epistle today, with a smile and a tear

:flirty: :tissue:

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9